The Student Room Group

Study into Law firms preferred Universities-THE RESULTS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm deliberating between kings and Notts, so based on this study, Nottingham is better as far as getting into the big london/magic circle firms right?
Original post by J-SP
Liverpool is better at bringing in students from the North West. Manchester is a uni that takes a lot of people who won't stay in the region post graduation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good, Liverpool actually have a very nicely organised law department, yet I think their ABB makes them look weaker in comparison to other unis of the similar level.
Original post by 0123456543210
That's good, Liverpool actually have a very nicely organised law department, yet I think their ABB makes them look weaker in comparison to other unis of the similar level.

This is the absurdity of it all. The academic standard of someone with AAA in A levels in irrelevant subjects and someone with ABB in irrelevant subjects is to all intents and purposes the same.

A level grades only have impact on the quality of a university, when the academic standard of the students is so low that the course cannot be taught to the same standard.

There is more variation in grades between students of the same ability attending excellent and poor VIth forms than there is between universities seeking AAA and those seeking ABB.

Most universities are not selective at their specified entry grade. Statistics are misleading about the percentages receiving offers. They frequently reflect the attractiveness of the university to applicants who don't have the asking grades.
Original post by peachpetals
Chamber Student and The Times has provided an extensive study into which universities law firms prefer. Between 2013-2015 Chamber student interviewed around 2,500 trainee solicitors about their experiences at their law firms and also asked all of them which university they went to. Which has allowed them to form a idea of what universities are most represented at law firms. Hugely helpful to those deciding where to take their law degree. Some surprises maybe-

Most frequently occurring Universities at - Magic circle, silver circle and large London firms:
1.Oxford, 2.Cambridge, 3. Durham, 4. Nottingham, 5. Manchester, 6. Bristol, 7 LSE, 8. UCL, 9. Kings, 10. Edinburgh

Most frequently occurring Universities at- Medium to Small London firms:
1.Oxford, 2. Cambridge, 3. Durham , 4. Nottingham, 5. UCL, 6. Bristol, 7. Warwick, 8. Leeds, 9. Kings, 10. Exeter

Most frequently occurring Universities at-US firms:
1.Cambridge, 2. Oxford, 3. Durham, 4. Kings, 5. LSE, 6. Bristol, 7. UCL, 8.Nottingham, 9. Warwick, 10. Exeter

Most frequently occurring Universities at-National Firms:
1. Manchester, 2. Durham, 3. Nottingham, 4. Bristol, 5. Leeds, 6. Birmingham, 7. Newcastle, 8. Sheffield, 9. Exeter, 10. York.

Most frequently occurring Universities at London law firms OVERALL ( includes all tiers of firms ) 1. Oxford, 2. Cambridge, 3. Durham, 4. Nottingham, 5. Bristol , 6. Kings, 7. UCL, 8. Warwick, 9. LSE , 10. Manchester

UNIVERSITIES MOST FREQUENTLY MENTIONED IN GENERAL (includes London, magic circle, US, national etc)
1.Oxford, 2. Cambridge, 3. Durham, 4. Nottingham, 5. Bristol, 7. Manchester, 8. Kings, 9. Warwick , 10. UCL

My Conclusions-
-Nottingham and Durham really impressed here.
-The Oxbridge domination is STRONG and slightly worrying . The percentages they lead in are huge and seem much over represented for just two universities.
-Queen Mary, York, and Warwick are slightly overhyped here on TSR as I expected them to do better. Warwick still is obviously highly targeted nevertheless.
-Manchester , Leeds and Kings surprised me the most both doing really well with Magic Circle and overall results. Clearly these law schools deserve more credit
- Liverpool is letting the Russell group side down.

PLEASE check out the results using the link as its really in depth and shows full breakdown of all universities not just top 10

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

What are your conclusions of the results? Any surprises for you?

Where does SOAS fit into all this? How well reputed is it by law firms?
Original post by nulli tertius
This is the absurdity of it all. The academic standard of someone with AAA in A levels in irrelevant subjects and someone with ABB in irrelevant subjects is to all intents and purposes the same.

A level grades only have impact on the quality of a university, when the academic standard of the students is so low that the course cannot be taught to the same standard.

There is more variation in grades between students of the same ability attending excellent and poor VIth forms than there is between universities seeking AAA and those seeking ABB.

Most universities are not selective at their specified entry grade. Statistics are misleading about the percentages receiving offers. They frequently reflect the attractiveness of the university to applicants who don't have the asking grades.

With 91% acceptance rates, do you think Liverpool is highly selective when it comes to acceptable A-Level subjects for entry? I do not think so, Old Boy.
Original post by *Stefan*
The thing with Nottingham/Manchester and UCL, however, is that they are literally giants in terms of student enrollment. All three easily sit in the 30k range. This is important considering that non-law students can also apply for TCs, and you'll often find that circa 30-45% of graduates at big firms are non-law students. This gives the aforementioned unis a clear advantage over the likes of Durham and particularly LSE.

Obviously this is not conclusive since we don't know the exact numbers applying from each uni, but a uni with 36k students will inevitably have more applicants than one with 9k students (referring to LSE).

Posted from TSR Mobile

This always baffles me. Even though Manchester is high up in the list for universities targeted by law firms, IB firms and even has high international ranking people never cease to diss it. People never fail to find silly reasons as to why it has a high international ranking (maybe the people ranking it were drunk!) or why it's is targeted by law firms.

Why can't people just accept that it's maybe a well regarded uni and that's why it's ranked highly. Obviously no one is comparing it to Oxbridge or LSE, UCL imperial but at least give Manchester credit where it's due. It makes no sense why you would say that just because it's a large university that's why it's featured in the list maybe by 'default'. There are other huge universities why aren't they featured in the list?

As far as the law firms target is concerned, when I was at Manchester the law school used to arrange a law fair every year with possibly the largest selection of exhibitors and law firms from all over the country. If law firms weren't interested in Manchester why would they even turn up to the law fair. Our legal advice clinic and many of the law societies were/are sponsored by firms like DLA piper and freshfields. (Not to mention the free stationary provided by the law firms in the common rooms)

I just want to know why do people hate Manchester so much??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Scruffyjoe
This always baffles me. Even though Manchester is high up in the list for universities targeted by law firms, IB firms and even has high international ranking people never cease to diss it. People never fail to find silly reasons as to why it has a high international ranking (maybe the people ranking it were drunk!) or why it's is targeted by law firms.

Why can't people just accept that it's maybe a well regarded uni and that's why it's ranked highly. Obviously no one is comparing it to Oxbridge or LSE, UCL imperial but at least give Manchester credit where it's due. It makes no sense why you would say that just because it's a large university that's why it's featured in the list maybe by 'default'. There are other huge universities why aren't they featured in the list?

As far as the law firms target is concerned, when I was at Manchester the law school used to arrange a law fair every year with possibly the largest selection of exhibitors and law firms from all over the country. If law firms weren't interested in Manchester why would they even turn up to the law fair. Our legal advice clinic and many of the law societies were/are sponsored by firms like DLA piper and freshfields. (Not to mention the free stationary provided by the law firms in the common rooms)

I just want to know why do people hate Manchester so much??

Do you suffer from multiple personality disorder? You were dissing Manchester endlessly the other day.

And my point stands - either prove me wrong or just don't waste my time.
Do you suffer from multiple personality disorder? You were dissing Manchester endlessly the other day.

And my point stands - either prove me wrong or just don't waste my time.

I have been dissing Manchester because of people like you who make other People feel worthless about their universities by making rubbish analysis like you have done here. Your point has already any been proven wrong if that didn't get throw your thick judgemental head. I guess you're probably jealous of Manchester that's the only thing that makes sense.
Reply 28
I have been dissing Manchester because of people like you who make other People feel worthless about their universities by making rubbish analysis like you have done here. Your point has already any been proven wrong if that didn't get throw your thick judgemental head. I guess you're probably jealous of Manchester that's the only thing that makes sense.

You have been dissing Manchester because people like me make others feel miserable. Did that make any sense in your head?

Who proved me wrong? You're denying that Manchester is almost double the size of most unis in the UK?

And yes, it's my jealousy for so :rolleyes:
You have been dissing Manchester because people like me make others feel miserable. Did that make any sense in your head?

Who proved me wrong? You're denying that Manchester is almost double the size of most unis in the UK?

And yes, it's my jealousy for so :rolleyes:

Oh my I guess I do have multiple personality disorder (thanks I didn't know you were a doctor!)

And you're also an expert on the university rankings - you know more than the people who made the list and have researched extensively with all the facts, right?

Come off it!
Reply 30
Oh my I guess I do have multiple personality disorder (thanks I didn't know you were a doctor!)

And you're also an expert on the university rankings - you know more than the people who made the list and have researched extensively with all the facts, right?

Come off it!

Doesn't take a doctor to realise that:

Overrated: Manchester for sure (this refers to the way university puts itself out there - makes it sound as if it's amazing when it really is a piece of ****)I am super jealous of people who have gone to or are going to SOAS now. And my advice yo anyone thinking of going to Manchester - DONT DO IT!! Biggest regret of my life!!!

+
Literally every Tom dick and Harry ends up there. This was just in my year alone. Not to mention two of my neighbors went there as well. And again they were also average students The law faculty (as previously mentioned) is average, not qualified enough. The REF ranking for law is piss poor The domestic league tables show its pretty bad THE ranks it at no. 56 which isn't something to be proud of really. Do you really need anymore facts??

+
This always baffles me. Even though Manchester is high up in the list for universities targeted by law firms, IB firms and even has high international ranking people never cease to diss it. Why can't people just accept that it's maybe a well regarded uni and that's why it's ranked highly. As far as the law firms target is concerned, when I was at Manchester the law school used to arrange a law fair every year with possibly the largest selection of exhibitors and law firms from all over the country. I just want to know why do people hate Manchester so much??

= Crazy bathat.

And you're also an expert on the university rankings - you know more than the people who made the list and have researched extensively with all the facts, right?Come off it!

Perhaps instead of whining like a 7-yr old, you could have read what those who 'researched extensively with all the facts" say -

"This survey doesn’t account for the numbers graduating from each institution. For example, Manchester and Nottingham’s undergrad enrolments are over three times the size of St Andrews’. This will skew the results in favour of the larger institutions. Adjusting for this would have to consider the size of law courses, proportion of law and non-law, and we’d just get bogged down. Instead this is simply the raw data broken down."

Just go and cry elsewhere please.
Doesn't take a doctor to realise that:

+

+

= Crazy bathat.

Perhaps instead of whining like a 7-yr old, you could have read what those who 'researched extensively with all the facts" say -

"This survey doesn’t account for the numbers graduating from each institution. For example, Manchester and Nottingham’s undergrad enrolments are over three times the size of St Andrews’. This will skew the results in favour of the larger institutions. Adjusting for this would have to consider the size of law courses, proportion of law and non-law, and we’d just get bogged down. Instead this is simply the raw data broken down."

Just go and cry elsewhere please.

Wow, you really do have a lot of time on your hands! Going around and collecting all my old posts just to prove a point makes you look like a crazy person. Psycho! Obsessive much?

Manchester might be a large university but this an account of all the people who have already been accepted as traineesand not just the number of people who applied for the job from Manchester. So still Manchester has a large number of people who have actually gotten the job so they obviously must be good enough. Get it??

Maybe you should spend this time studying rather than on TSR trying to analyse which university is good for law and which isn't. You're not an expert on it, stop pretending to be one. Unfortunately you're not very good at analysing I wonder what your university is teaching you (it's not very good) tsk tsk tsk. Better brush up on those skills, you will need it when it's time to get a job or are you planning on telling the recruiters how they should go about doing their job as well. Ha ha ha

Okay bye!
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol, great thread guys
Reply 33
Wow, you really do have a lot of time on your hands! Going around and collecting all my old posts just to prove a point makes you look like a crazy person. Psycho! Obsessive much?

Maybe you should spend this time studying rather than on TSR trying to analyse which university is good for law and which isn't. You're not an expert on it, stop pretending to be one. Unfortunately you're not very good at analysing I wonder what your university is teaching you (it's not very good) tsk tsk tsk. Better brush up on those skills, you will need it when it's time to get a job or are you planning on telling the recruiters how they should go about doing their job as well. Ha ha ha

Okay bye!

Haha what an excuse... I'm a psycho for spending literally two minutes to find the post which I had already read and laughed at before. Also, a bit rich for someone who once praises Manchester and next he disses it. Bit rich.

Oh these juicy insults. Shows when someone can't even back their crap up. Shows.

(Btw, they are not recruiters.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, great thread guys

Well... I tried to be nice :colonhash:
Haha what an excuse... I'm a psycho for spending literally two minutes to find the post which I had already read and laughed at before. Also, a bit rich for someone who once praises Manchester and next he disses it. Bit rich.

Oh these juicy insults. Shows when someone can't even back their crap up. Shows.

(Btw, they are not recruiters.)

Haha you were being nice?! Really by calling me a crazy person and laughing at my old posts? I wonder who taught you these manners. I obviously don't need to back up anything. You need to calm down and not take this forum so seriously. I wrote in my previous post that even though a Manchester is a large university the numbers given in the study/review is for the people who have already gotten the job which obviously shows that even if a large number of people applied from Manchester they were all good enough to be employed by some of the best firms in the uk. Get it? Or Do y ou want me to dumb it down a bit?

And a side note, I don't even think you should feel happy about calling some one a crazy person and actually trying to use multiple personality disorder as an insult. Really? Are you that immature or insensitive?

Please stop rambling now. Not interested in the garbage that comes from your mouth.

Bye!
Reply 36
Haha you were being nice?! Really by calling me a crazy person and laughing at my old posts? I wonder who taught you these manners. I obviously don't need to back up anything. You need to calm down and not take this forum so seriously. I wrote in my previous post that even though a Manchester is a large university the numbers given in the study/review is for the people who have already gotten the job which obviously shows that even if a large number of people applied from Manchester they were all good enough to be employed by some of the best firms in the uk. Get it? Or Do y ou want me to dumb it down a bit?

And a side note, I don't even think you should feel happy about calling some one a crazy person and actually trying to use multiple personality disorder as an insult. Really? Are you that immature or insensitive?

Please stop rambling now. Not interested in the garbage that comes from your mouth.

Bye!

Too much talking, not enough essence. Can't waste my precious time reading something I already know is crap.

Adios.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending