The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science A-Level or Additional Further Maths A-Level

So I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A-Level. I can conclude that my Computer Science AS-Level grade will possibly be crap because my teacher is crap as is my school. :frown: But the school seems to be pretty good with their maths. So Next year (my A2 year) I want to do 4 A-Levels and maybe throw in an AS if I can cope. So I can continue with my A-level in compsci having completed the first year. Alternatively I can opt out and DROP computer Science and PICKUP a full additional further Maths A-Level. I am genuinely considering this because my teachers at school suck so bad... I need to do well. soooo... yeah.. Thoughts guys?
That's okay I guess but if you have A levels in Maths, Further Maths and Further Additional Maths you'll just look like a very narrow applicant with no ability to explore other different subjects.
Original post by Someboady
So I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A-Level. I can conclude that my Computer Science AS-Level grade will possibly be crap because my teacher is crap as is my school. :frown: But the school seems to be pretty good with their maths. So Next year (my A2 year) I want to do 4 A-Levels and maybe throw in an AS if I can cope. So I can continue with my A-level in compsci having completed the first year. Alternatively I can opt out and DROP computer Science and PICKUP a full additional further Maths A-Level. I am genuinely considering this because my teachers at school suck so bad... I need to do well. soooo... yeah.. Thoughts guys?

Out of interest what degree are you looking at doing? Personally I'd recommend doing it on the basis of if you actually need to or not. If it's likely you'll need it to, or it will help to get onto a course at a specific uni (say for example if you're applying to oxbridge), then go ahead, otherwise I'd say it's not really worth the extra stress. Also you don't really have to make any final decisions on this till results day (assuming you're school still sits AS exams, I really don't know much about new system and if it's in place or not). If at results day you Computer Science is still good then there should be nothing stopping you keeping it. It's v rare for people to do further additional maths, usually further maths is more than enough for most courses. The only course it would probably be of significant benefit for you to do it is probably maths.
Reply 3
Original post by k4l397
Out of interest what degree are you looking at doing? Personally I'd recommend doing it on the basis of if you actually need to or not. If it's likely you'll need it to, or it will help to get onto a course at a specific uni (say for example if you're applying to oxbridge), then go ahead, otherwise I'd say it's not really worth the extra stress. Also you don't really have to make any final decisions on this till results day (assuming you're school still sits AS exams, I really don't know much about new system and if it's in place or not). If at results day you Computer Science is still good then there should be nothing stopping you keeping it. It's v rare for people to do further additional maths, usually further maths is more than enough for most courses. The only course it would probably be of significant benefit for you to do it is probably maths.

Computer Science at A-Level and I hope to study at Oxbridge... Computer Science at A-level isn't needed however. Ah, I see .. I'll definitely consider it... Thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest