The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just in case that was directed at me, I don't think or expect I'll be spoon-fed at any medical school and have never said such.
:smile:
pbl is endorsed by the GMC so im sure its not going to fail thousands of student per year as not being as "thorough" as a lecture based course.

ive heard one of the positives is that it allows you to take more responsiblilty earlier on which can only be a good thing.
to be fair, comparing myself to my friends on otehr lecture based courses, people do keep an eye on me and what i'm doing a lot more than they do them. one of my friends (now dropped out) didn't go to lecture for ages and no-one noticed, whereas if i didn't show up to pbl every week or obviously hadn't done the work my tutor'd have a private word with me. i find it to be almost more structured, and tbh the point is not to hide how little work you've done, it's to actually learn...
Reply 23
bright star
to be fair, comparing myself to my friends on otehr lecture based courses, people do keep an eye on me and what i'm doing a lot more than they do them. one of my friends (now dropped out) didn't go to lecture for ages and no-one noticed, whereas if i didn't show up to pbl every week or obviously hadn't done the work my tutor'd have a private word with me. i find it to be almost more structured, and tbh the point is not to hide how little work you've done, it's to actually learn...

Optional lectures plus compulsory practicals, seminars (~15:1) & tutorials (1-6:1) = :yy: in my opinion for preclinical/basic science learning.
oh yeah, everything else is compulsory here, ie pbl, clin skills, com skills, CCT, community placement. it's jus plenary (and HARC) that isn't. but you'd be a bozo not to go to harc.
My views on PBL are well known...

but then the world doesn't beat to the sound of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some...
Reply 26
I don't know your well-known views, do share... :smile:
Reply 27
Classic, Theodore.
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you medical students are studying at a PBL medical school?
How are you finding PBL?
Is it hard to get to grasp with?
Do you feel like you are gaps in your knowledge?

The opinion of students in more traditional courses would be nice :smile:
Pros and cons would be nice.

Thanks.

I recently did an entire SSC on PBL - its 4500 words of *******s, just let me know if you want to read it.

In answer to your questions:
Yes i'm at a PBL med school
I don't like PBL
Its not that hard to grasp but its very different.
And yes I do feel there are gaps in my knowledge.

In my opinion, PBL is a waste of time and money unless loads of effort is put into it by the student, the tutor and the institution you're studying at. The concept of PBL is pretty sound, but in reality it doesn't work that great most of the time. Its success is dependent on too many things. There are good points about PBL such as the fact that you can learn what you want when you want really so its very flexible.
Knowledge wise - you're basic science knowledge will probably be below that of a more traditional student, but clincial knowledge should (in theory) be about the same.
Also, new PBL curricula also have a heavy emphasis on communcation skills (which probably explains the advantage in terms of communcation skills rather than giving the credit to PBL itself)
You must be very self-motivated for a PBL course and sometimes you'll be unsure about what exactly you need to know.

Saying that, i'm glad im not on a traditional only course.
Reply 28
Daveo
I recently did an entire SSC on PBL - its 4500 words of *******s, just let me know if you want to read it.

In answer to your questions:
Yes i'm at a PBL med school
I don't like PBL
Its not that hard to grasp but its very different.
And yes I do feel there are gaps in my knowledge.

In my opinion, PBL is a waste of time and money unless loads of effort is put into it by the student, the tutor and the institution you're studying at. The concept of PBL is pretty sound, but in reality it doesn't work that great most of the time. Its success is dependent on too many things. There are good points about PBL such as the fact that you can learn what you want when you want really so its very flexible.
Knowledge wise - you're basic science knowledge will probably be below that of a more traditional student, but clincial knowledge should (in theory) be about the same.
Also, new PBL curricula also have a heavy emphasis on communcation skills (which probably explains the advantage in terms of communcation skills rather than giving the credit to PBL itself)
You must be very self-motivated for a PBL course and sometimes you'll be unsure about what exactly you need to know.

Saying that, i'm glad im not on a traditional only course.

I'd love to read it :smile:

Yeah, do you feel that this lack of basic scientific knowledge will be restrictive when you're actually on wards, or is it just the "nice to know but slightly pointless when you're actually on the job" knowledge you lack?

When it comes to exams, is it is nightmare to know what you have and don't have to know?

I've never heard a PBL medic slagging off PBL...
Reply 29
Classic, Theodore.
I'd love to read it :smile:

Yeah, do you feel that this lack of basic scientific knowledge will be restrictive when you're actually on wards, or is it just the "nice to know but slightly pointless when you're actually on the job" knowledge you lack?

When it comes to exams, is it is nightmare to know what you have and don't have to know?

I've never heard a PBL medic slagging off PBL...

PM me your email address and i'll send you a copy.

And that is a key question...exactly what knowledge does a doctor need to have? The GMC say that less emphasis should be put on the recall of facts.

Don't even talk to me about exams, I guess it depends on your uni.

And I can think of a few PBL medics who'd sit here and moan all day long.
i'd moan about it right now.... that's because my written exams are both on thursday, i'm supposed to be revising, and i have NO idea what kind of level to be learning stuff to. but i'll be ok.
Reading Daveo's post has me slighlty worried. Im going into a PBL course this year and the lack of scientific knowledge part really worries me. is there any way of ensuring you can get enough scientific knowledge in?
Reply 32
bright star
oh yeah, everything else is compulsory here, ie pbl, clin skills, com skills, CCT, community placement. it's jus plenary (and HARC) that isn't. but you'd be a bozo not to go to harc.

Everything we did in the first 2 years was compulsory we were registered in all our tutorials, seminars dissection and lab sessions and registers would randomly be sent round in about 20-30% of lectures if you didnt get 80% attendance in each module you failed.
iceman_jondoe
Reading Daveo's post has me slighlty worried. Im going into a PBL course this year and the lack of scientific knowledge part really worries me. is there any way of ensuring you can get enough scientific knowledge in?

yeah. work hard. the problem i find is that if you're clever and have some common sense, you don't need to know all THAT much to pass (well first year). so if you decide you're gonna learn for learning's sake obviously you can learn a lot more than necessary.
Reply 34
Classic, Theodore.
I'd say yes, but I suspect that consultants at the Radcliffe complain about Oxford students not knowing enough just as much as the ones at The London do.

What I think the advantage of PBL on the wards is that when you're asked about something that you don't immediately recognise (and students on both types of course will encounter this) you should have the skills to think through it logically.
Renal
I'd say yes, but I suspect that consultants at the Radcliffe complain about Oxford students not knowing enough just as much as the ones at The London do.

What I think the advantage of PBL on the wards is that when you're asked about something that you don't immediately recognise (and students on both types of course will encounter this) you should have the skills to think through it logically.

Why would you be any better at that coming from a PBL course than a traditional course? Surely if you had a better grounding of the science, you'd find it easier to deduce from first principles?

edit: not an attack on PBL, before i get met with fire and brimstone.
Reply 36
As a straight answer to the question, because PBL is all about training your mind to approach problems, break them down into their component solvable parts and reassemble them as something useful. You need base principles as well, neglecting them would be utterly stupid and PBL isn't the way to go about learning them. Its rubbish for that frankly. But then that isn't its job, you have to actually read anatomy and physiology texts and spend some time in the lab to learn those things.
Reply 37
bright star
yeah. work hard. the problem i find is that if you're clever and have some common sense, you don't need to know all THAT much to pass (well first year). so if you decide you're gonna learn for learning's sake obviously you can learn a lot more than necessary.
Doesn't change to be honest :smile:
Reply 38
friendlyneutron
Why would you be any better at that coming from a PBL course than a traditional course? Surely if you had a better grounding of the science, you'd find it easier to deduce from first principles?

edit: not an attack on PBL, before i get met with fire and brimstone.

In theory that is the advantage of PBL because when done properly PBL should make you better at problem solving.
There is allsorts of learning theory (for example schema theory) behind this supposed benefit of PBL.
friendlyneutron
I'm at a traditional medical school, and I wouldn't say I had my hand held at all. The amount of time I spend studying outside of timetabled classes and practicals, and preparing for them (4 hours of dissection a week means about the same at home at least if you want to get anything out of it) is far greater than the amount of time I spend in them. You have to do a hell of a lot of self-directed learning and if you haven't done the work for a supervision or practical then it *will* show, and I'd definitely say it's a lot harder to blag your way through/hide in a supervision, where there are usually only 2 of you, than in a PBL session. You're not going to be spoon fed at any medical school and I think it's time people stopped having that misconception.

I take it you're in the first year in Cambridge. Me too. The point is, PBL is a pile of rubbish - you do the same 'self-directed learning' in a traditional course anyway - just because you don't do PBL doesn't mean you aren't capable of carrying out your own reading. PBL is a total waste of time - I can't say I know a lot - which is why a bunch of students only knowing bits should be 'teaching each other' and having 'discussions' (often wrong). Dumbing down of medicine...

Latest

Trending

Trending