The Student Room Group

The Road to Success (hopefully!)

So I'm super new to this - I've literally been here for about 7 minutes. But doing this seemed like an awesome idea to record my progress and to keep on track of things! I don't actually know if I'm doing this right so apologies if I'm not.

I thought I'd start by putting in my mock exam results from December, for both personal use and for anybody who is curious! I'm in year 11 and my first real exam is in around 56 days. Eek!

English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - B+
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Business - A
History - A
Photography - B+
German Listening - U
German Reading - B
ICT - B

Overall I was pretty happy with those results(except for the U in German, obviously, but I'm working on that. I'm doing listening papers as often as I can which will hopefully help me to improve). I'll be honest in saying that I could have put a bit more effort in on the revision side - I just find it very difficult to motivate myself and prioritise.

I really want to improve my sciences and my maths, to hopefully secure the A. I don't actually do triple science due to 13 year old me absolutely despising it at the time, but that's one of my regrets I suppose.

I hope you guys are all well and motivated to do well in your exams. I'd really appreciate any revision tips, or ways in which you motivate yourself.

Until next time!

-Grace x

Scroll to see replies

Hi Grace!
I'm not sure if I'm meant to reply on here but I've been here for about ten minutes so I thought I may as well as we seem to be in the same boat!
Your results look good tho and language listening papers are difficult but by summer you'll be ready for them! (And hopefully I will be too in French!)
I think most of us struggle with motivating ourselves but the impending doom should spur us on by the time the exams get closer! :smile: Good luck!
Arabella
Hey! Thanks for replying and I'm glad I'm not the only still trying to figure out how this whole thing works:biggrin:.
Hopefully I get enough motivation in time to revise sufficiently for my exams but we'll see! I hope your exams go well, what options are you doing?
Grace:smile:
Original post by graciousgannon
Hey! Thanks for replying and I'm glad I'm not the only still trying to figure out how this whole thing works:biggrin:.
Hopefully I get enough motivation in time to revise sufficiently for my exams but we'll see! I hope your exams go well, what options are you doing?
Grace:smile:

:smile: Thanks for replying too! I'm slowly getting the hang of this!
I'm taking triple science, French, Geography, Music (a big mistake!) and IT. What about you?
Oh wow! I'm doing History, Business Studies, German and Photography but honestly I can't wait to drop most of them!:frown:
Those sound like way more fun but my school only offers them for A-level. At GCSE, our head teacher is obsessed with the league tables... I just realised you wrote your subjects above in your first post... :tongue:
That's a shame! Do you not have much choice for GCSE then?
That's a shame! Do you not have much choice for GCSE then?

We do but mainly academic stuff. Our school doesn't offer Business or Photography at GCSE. It offers business at A level but that's only because we have some really good teachers who campaigned for it. :smile:

It's okay though because I like most of my subjects, apart from Music which is stressful:smile:, but photography would have been fun to do.
Wow, okay, update. Am I even doing this right? I don't know.
So, I clearly procrastinate this as much as I do my revision, and that isn't a good sign.

The first week back was okay I guess. My photography teacher wasn't too happy with my exam book progress, but after a long, long talk we sorted out my starting point and ideas and that is back on track. I'm currently completing a Brain on a Page for one of my images.

My biggest 'event' this week(is that what you'd call it?) was my German speaking exam. I didn't think I was ready, I was so unbelievably nervous but when I finally did it on Thursday I was really happy with how it went! I should be getting my result sometime this week, and I'm really hoping to get an A or and A*, because with that result all of my coursework would be at an A/A* standard. Which is good for me, because I'm absolutely shocking at Listening papers in the real exams.

As for my core subjects, I found out when our final set of mocks are. They're the week commencing 14th March, and we're doing our Maths, English and Science Unit 2 mocks. I don't tend to revise for English Language (which I know is bad, but honestly, how do you?) and as for English Literature I haven't had a clue about what's been going on since...well, forever (again, bad, I know, but I'm working on my focus I promise). Maths I'm hoping to start revision this week, and the same for Science.

My hopes for this weekend are to catch up with my Photography targets and hopefully start either Maths or Science revision.

Is it bad that I haven't 'officially' started revising for my final exams? I'm kinda stumped about where to start...plus I've been avoiding past papers in fear of doing it and getting the same one in our mocks. I suppose thats what you get for doing 9 or 10 subjects...

Hope whoever is reading this is having a nice day!
Grace x
It's time for me to talk all about my progress (or lack of) in a space that is probably completely wrong. I still haven't gotten the hang of things around here.

So the last time I wrote, I was about to have a German Speaking Assessment. I got my grade back for that and I got an A*! Super stoked about that considering all of the effort I put in. We have just handed in the drafts for our final writing assessment, which I want to get an A* on too but writing about the environment is super boring (plus, how do you even get an A* on a writing assessment? I can't get higher than an A...)

Today we had our Men ACWY jabs which although didn't hurt, made me super sleepy all day so I suppose my focus wasn't the best. I also found out I only have 8 hours left of lesson time in photography, which is terrifying considering I've made little progress.

My issue is finding time to balance things - my focus was on my German so much that I forgot about mocks and photography. Now that I'm panicking about mocks, I still haven't prioritised my photography.

Speaking of mocks...
We have our English, Science and Maths mocks next week. I have revised next to nothing. To be honest (I know this sounds bad) but I don't think I'll revise much for English this time around - Language is very hard to revise for and as for Literature I know Blood Brothers like the back of my hand (Pride and Prejudice is a whole new ball game though...)
Maths, I could probably get a decent grade with little revision, but that's not what I WANT to do. And science, well, science I am screwed for. Tonight I revised part of B2 but honestly I haven't even looked at my other Unit 2 topics. Honestly it's my fault and I desperately need to prioritise things soon.

I'll update soon about my progress, wish me luck...
Grace :smile:
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Mock exams.

So, I just had the English, Science and Maths mock exams that I mentioned last time. Unfortunately, I didn't revise properly, at all...I'm gonna go through each exam and give you the low down on exactly how it went. So enjoy this disastrous post.

First exam was on Monday period 5 and was unit 2 Physics. Now for this I had probably revised the most - and by that I mean I briefly went over everything we did in year 10 that I didn't remember. I sat down, kind of prepared, but I for sure was not really prepared for what I sat. The paper was SO hard. Like, really hard. I love physics, so it's a shame that I found it so hard and probably didn't do very well in it, but P2 really wasn't the most intriguing thing I've ever learnt, but I guess I'll see.

Next exam was Tuesday morning, period 1 and 2 and was English Literature Unit 2. This was a paper about Blood Brothers and Pride and Prejudice. Honestly, I knew I was doomed from the start because for my entire Upper School life I've managed to do well in English without understanding anything. I'd just write it, not understand it, and somehow it would be right. I didn't revise at all for this either. The first part was Blood Brothers which for some crazy reason I didn't mind and I don't think I did too badly in. Part 2, Pride and Prejudice. What a disaster. Generally I don't mind extract questions so that was okay, but then I had to write about how Jane Austen presented the theme of prejudice throughout the book. Let's just remember that we haven't actually finished the book yet, and the parts we have read, I haven't understood. I wrote two paragraphs in total. On a 20 mark question. Nice.

We had an exam straight after that which was Maths paper 1. There's not too much to say about this one honestly - I revised a small amount in revision sessions, but other than that I was just going in with the knowledge I had from lessons. I quite enjoyed sitting the paper but it was extremely hard. Like, I opened the paper and read the first question and had to read it 3 or 4 times to understand what I had to do. Thanks for easing us into it, Edexcel.

Final exam that day was Chemistry, and for this one I was definitely going in blind. No revision done. At all. And surprisingly enough, I felt like it wasn't as disastrous as it could have been and I knew a fair bit. It's probably because I fell in love with Chemistry and was so engaged in the lessons that things just kind of stuck.

And now we reach the last day of exams, Wednesday. First was English Language. That went quite well I think - I've always been the strange person who thinks the reading paper is the best English paper ever. But honestly, I feel like my best exam this week was English Language and I don't know whether to be happy or worried...(I hate English with a passion.)

Second exam of the day was Maths paper 2, which I also really enjoyed. I only managed to leave one or two questions out and seemed to know what I was doing most of the time. There was a sneaky probability question on the back page, and that question will haunt me for the rest of my life. I looked at it and didn't know how to answer it, so instead of trying, I just left it. Now I'm sitting here and I know how to do it and it's actually quite simple. That's 4 marks I left, which could easily be the difference between my B and A grade.

Finally, we have reached the last exam. I do ramble a lot. This was Biology. I did a bit of revision for this - not as much as physics, but not as little and chemistry. It was a bit of a 'comme ci comme ça' exam (my amazing middle school French is shining) so I'm not too sure what to think about it, but it definitely could have been better.

So, moral of the story: REVISE. To end this catastrophic update, I'm going to leave my predictions for these most recent mocks so I can compare them to my real results:

English Language: B
English Literature: C
Maths: B
Biology: B
Chemistry: C
Physics: C
(I want an A in all of my sciences, and in my mocks I would like a B, but after the revision I didn't do and the exams I think I'm more likely to get a C this time.)

Until next time!
Grace :smile:

(you deserve a cookie if you managed to read that entire thing omg)
(edited 8 years ago)
I only posted about half an hour ago, but I've just had a brainwave.
I am obsessed with underestimating myself.
I know it's sometimes better to underestimate than overestimate, but this is getting so bad it's starting to impact the way I treat subjects. Example:
In my last mocks, I predicted myself a C in English Literature and a B in English Language. I came out with two A's, not far from A*. I predicted a B in Business, but I came out with two marks off of an A*. I told myself this was a fluke, and I think I do that so I will always be happy with what grade I get. But no Grace, it wasn't a fluke. You are good at these subjects. Just accept it and work hard. Now this isn't with all subjects - with my sciences and maths I know I want at least an A and I'm willing to work for that. But I tell myself I'd be happy with a C in English when in reality, I wouldn't, because I know I'm better than that. So, if all of my revision goes to plan and I try my hardest, these are the actual predicted grades that I would be happy with on results day:

English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - A
Science - A
Additional Science - A
Business Studies- A
History - A
Photography - B
German - A
ICT - A

I need to stop lying to myself. I can do it. I am good at these subjects. And I will put in the effort so that on results day I can be happy.
I only posted about half an hour ago, but I've just had a brainwave.
I am obsessed with underestimating myself.
I know it's sometimes better to underestimate than overestimate, but this is getting so bad it's starting to impact the way I treat subjects. Example:
In my last mocks, I predicted myself a C in English Literature and a B in English Language. I came out with two A's, not far from A*. I predicted a B in Business, but I came out with two marks off of an A*. I told myself this was a fluke, and I think I do that so I will always be happy with what grade I get. But no Grace, it wasn't a fluke. You are good at these subjects. Just accept it and work hard. Now this isn't with all subjects - with my sciences and maths I know I want at least an A and I'm willing to work for that. But I tell myself I'd be happy with a C in English when in reality, I wouldn't, because I know I'm better than that. So, if all of my revision goes to plan and I try my hardest, these are the actual predicted grades that I would be happy with on results day:

English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - A
Science - A
Additional Science - A
Business Studies- A
History - A
Photography - B
German - A
ICT - A

I need to stop lying to myself. I can do it. I am good at these subjects. And I will put in the effort so that on results day I can be happy.

I think we all underestimate ourselves but that doesn't mean you should put yourself down. You're doing really well and you can do it! :smile: Well done on your mocks though! All As apart from one B.

I had the same jab as you last week. Did you have a headache afterwards? Half my year group all seemed to be irritable for the rest of the day.

I don't revise for English either. It seems to work better for me on the go but we can change that. We can revise for it? :smile: I love Pride and Prejudice though, it's one of my favorite books. I can't imagine trying to analyse it though. Analysing a book in the depth we do makes it so boring by the end! Only another 2 months though and then we have the entire summer holidays to relax.

ps. I'm collecting my cookie. :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
I think we all underestimate ourselves but that doesn't mean you should put yourself down. You're doing really well and you can do it! :smile: Well done on your mocks though! All As apart from one B.

I had the same jab as you last week. Did you have a headache afterwards? Half my year group all seemed to be irritable for the rest of the day.

I don't revise for English either. It seems to work better for me on the go but we can change that. We can revise for it? :smile: I love Pride and Prejudice though, it's one of my favorite books. I can't imagine trying to analyse it though. Analysing a book in the depth we do makes it so boring by the end! Only another 2 months though and then we have the entire summer holidays to relax.

ps. I'm collecting my cookie. :smile:

Wow! I can't believe you read all of that, you definitely deserve that cookie:tongue:. I know it's totally normal to underestimate - I find that I underestimate myself, but in my head I greatly overestimate which just leads to me being disappointed anyway...

Yeah, I had a slight headache with that jab but I know that a lot of people suffered worse from side effects, my arm was killing me for the next two days!!

I find that English Language is really hard to revise for, but even my teacher told me that as long as I know the skills involved there's not really anything else to look at. I think I would have enjoyed the storyline of Pride and Prejudice way more but it's so boring having to analyse every chapter as we read it. I think I'm going to start revising by creating mind maps about the characters and the themes, although I don't always work best with those so I'll see.

The thought of the summer is really keeping me motivated! Also, I want to be able to open my results and be happy with everything I get...the only way I can do that is through revision!

Thanks again for reading this (I still can't believe it) and I hope everything is going well for you!:smile:
UPDATE - Saturday, 19th March

I got two of my mock results back on Thursday - a B in Physics and what I think is a B in Chemistry. I'm not really happy but at the end of the day it's my fault for not revising enough. It'll definitely be a lesson learnt for the real exams.

I also got a crazy amount of ICT coursework done, which will hopefully push my grade up to a B. Our school has had trouble with GCSE ICT since year 9, and only a handful of people are above a C. I really want an A in my coursework by the deadline, but I'm going to try and push for that A*

Todays plans:
I've been to Taekwondo and I'm feeling pretty motivated to do work. My brother comes home from university today though so that might distract me a little bit from doing my work. I want to -

1. Learn around half of my German writing assessment
2. Possibly take photographs of my brother for my exam, or do something that is related to my photography.
3. Begin to edit these and make a step by step about double exposure.
4. If I have time, begin going over Unit 2 of Science again.

I'll update later to see if I manage to complete these!
UPDATE - Saturday, 19th March

So, what did I get done today? Well I learnt much more of my German than anticipated. I only have one paragraph left to learn which is great for me! It takes some of the pressure off.

I also did some research on double exposure and made myself a checklist to complete before my photography exam. Unfortunately I didn't get my photographs taken because my brother came back a lot later than expected, but I'm hopefully taking those tomorrow.

I didn't do any Science revision but that's okay, because it was just something a little extra.

I'm now going to give myself the rest of the day to relax because if I get too stressed, the revision I do won't be worth my time. More tomorrow!
UPDATE - Wednesday 30th March

Oops, I got lazy again and stopped filling this in. Which also means I got lazy with my revision. I haven't really done any.

I now have all of my mock exam grades back except for English:
Biology - A (42/60)
Chemistry - B (31/60)
Physics - B (34/60)
Maths - A (155/200)

So I'm really happy with my Biology and Maths results, but Chemistry and Physics obviously need some work. We did use two grade boundaries in Maths and on the old boundary I actually got an A*(what?!?) but my school put the boundaries up by about 10 marks to represent what may or may not be the grade boundaries for the real exam.

I went into school yesterday (despite it being the holiday) to do some ICT coursework. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but I've nearly got everything done and there's just under a month until deadline day. If I plan my time right, I should get it all done to a good standard.

And, um...I was meant to go into school today for Maths. It wasn't critical that I went, and it was just for me to brush up on things. I got to school, signed in, walked up to my classroom and as soon as I got there I turned around, signed out and walked straight out of school again. I was probably in for a maximum of about 6 minutes. I just didn't have any motivation, and the classroom was packed (I was late, too). I love Maths so it isn't that, I just did not feel up to it at all.

I went out around town and got home around 12:00. I have actually done some work today regarding my photography exam book. The exam is in two weeks though so...I edited the images I took of my brother and created a step by step, and I did a structure diagram, so that's another page in my book done. I feel like there's no way I'm going to get everything done, but if I knuckle down I should...

Other than that, I haven't revised anything. I have a History mock when I go back to school so next week I'm going to start revising that. I also need to revise 6 topics of science and 4 pages of german before school starts again, so that'll be fun.

At this rate, my results are definitely not going to turn out like I hoped...

-Grace
UPDATE NUMBER 2 - Wednesday 30th March

***specifically about German***

Here's something I've discovered! I'm not going to pass GCSE German without immersing myself in the language. Sounds weird, right? Well, it's true. There is no way I will remember the vocabulary and the structures etc if I don't use it regularly. I try to speak a lot of German at home although my parents just seem to get annoyed at me.

I love learning German; it's fascinating to me that I'm able to somewhat speak a second language. I want to carry on learning it past GCSE but without taking it for an A-Level. Here's a few things I've been doing to improve my German:

1) Speaking.
An obvious one, but I try to speak as much as I can at home, at school etc. People either think I'm really weird or really annoying but not only is it helpful it's also sort of become a habit.

2) Writing.
I try to write about my day as often as I can (in German, of course) and then I look up any words or phrases I'm not sure of and write down the meaning of them.

3) Reading and Listening Exercises.
The absolute bane of my life but it has to be done. I suppose I don't mind reading but I am so bad at listening it hurts. Practice makes perfect though, right?

4) Changing my phone settings.
Probably the weirdest one, but I've set my phone up in German. It can be a bit of a challenge when random dialog boxes pop up and I have no idea what they say, but that's the fun of it. Plus, I'm learning new words along the way. (And Siri is in German too so that pushes me to the limit sometimes)

Basically, if you're struggling in a language, especially with vocabulary, try these tips, even if it's just for a week. They might help in some way.
UPDATE - Tuesday 5th April

So, what have I got done since I've been gone?

I did those 4 pages of German revision. In my Photography book, I got a structure diagram, step by step, what why what how, and similarities and differences done and stuck in my book.
And...that's it.

Tonight I may start my next photographer's study or brain on a page, or I might leave it and give myself a break (not that I deserve it).

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get my photographer study done and my brain on a page started, or vice versa. I also want to start doing either my science or my history revision because I am extremely behind on that.

All in all I'm not doing too good with my revision and if I can't cope now, I'm going to be awful when we go on study leave. It's like I need a kick up the backside or something.

Until next time.
UPDATE - Wednesday 6th April

An update late in the day because my sleeping pattern is very messed up at the moment~

Todays plan:
Decorate next page in photography book.
Do artist study on Matthieu Bourel.
Do Brain On a Page on one of Matthieu Bourel's images.
Get two pages of science (chemistry) revised AND understood, at least. That doesn't mean writing down random things and pretending I know what I'm doing.

It looks like a short list but the brain on a page is going to take me two hours minimum. I also can't set myself too much because I'll just get overwhelmed or too distracted. So, lets see how this goes!

I. Must. Get. This. Done.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending