The Student Room Group

sand filled weights vs metal

I am looking to buy some dumbells, I have come across a pair of 15kg dumbbells for £30 however they are filled with sand.

The metal dumbbells are around £40-50 for the same weight.

Was wondering whether it's ok to use sand filled weights? will the larger size of them restrict arm movement resulting in not gaining a full movement workout etc?

is the cheaper price worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by Breakingbank
I am looking to buy some dumbells, I have come across a pair of 15kg dumbbells for £30 however they are filled with sand.

The metal dumbbells are around £40-50 for the same weight.

Was wondering whether it's ok to use sand filled weights? will the larger size of them restrict arm movement resulting in not gaining a full movement workout etc?

is the cheaper price worth it?

The only difference is they likely won't last as long. Other than that, they're going to do exactly the same thing, if the metal doesn't allow you to swap the weight out I'd probably buy the sand filled ones. You should be able to get full movement with both, as long as the sand filled ones don't have ridiculous dimensions.
Original post by Hunterj68
The only difference is they likely won't last as long. Other than that, they're going to do exactly the same thing, if the metal doesn't allow you to swap the weight out I'd probably buy the sand filled ones. You should be able to get full movement with both, as long as the sand filled ones don't have ridiculous dimensions.

thanks!

I requested info on the diameters of the weights, do you have any idea what dimensions/diameter would be a good size or too large for a 2.5kg weight to gain full movement

Each dumbbell contains 4x2.5kg weights and 2x1.25kg weights plus the bar weight to add up to 15kg in total
Reply 3
I'm not entirely sure, but you should be able to adjust to any size tbh, the difference shouldn't be so great that it impairs your workout.
Only practical difference is that a, say, 20kg sand-filled plate would be significantly larger in diameter and especially thickness than a 20kg iron plate, which can be a bit impractical for some exercises. Not a huge deal for most exercises though.

Quick Reply

Latest