The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Sylavela
Just remembering everything XD

Hahaha true
How are you trying to retain all the info ?
Reply 201
I left revision way too late
Has anyone got unit 1/2 notes that they'll kindly share please?
I'm repeating both unit 1 and unit 2 edexcel politics. I got a B in Unit 1 last year and a B in unit 2. I've only started revising AS politics now because i've been focusing on A2 revision for Politics, History and Sociology. Does anyone have any suggestions of what will come up in unit 1 on Monday?

I've done notes on all the 5 markers in the past and they are normally repeated so i'm sorted with that.

How do you structure a 10 and 25 marker. For a 10 marker do you have to do PEEL in order to get 10/10?
Original post by Thebeast97
I'm repeating both unit 1 and unit 2 edexcel politics. I got a B in Unit 1 last year and a B in unit 2. I've only started revising AS politics now because i've been focusing on A2 revision for Politics, History and Sociology. Does anyone have any suggestions of what will come up in unit 1 on Monday?

I've done notes on all the 5 markers in the past and they are normally repeated so i'm sorted with that.

How do you structure a 10 and 25 marker. For a 10 marker do you have to do PEEL in order to get 10/10?

I personally feel that referendums will come up in some form, as well as perhaps the impact of AMS because of the recent devolved elections.

For 10 markers, I do 3 PEEL paragraphs usually and for 25 markers, 4-6 PEEL paragraphs, with at least 2 points for and 2 against. This does entirely depend on the question though.
Original post by antigone-
I personally feel that referendums will come up in some form, as well as perhaps the impact of AMS because of the recent devolved elections.

For 10 markers, I do 3 PEEL paragraphs usually and for 25 markers, 4-6 PEEL paragraphs, with at least 2 points for and 2 against. This does entirely depend on the question though.

essay won't be specifically on AMS though. I imagine it'll be something like 'to what extent to different electoral systems produce different outcomes', advantages/disadvantages of FPTP or advantages/disadvantages different electoral systems used in UK

there aint much they can ask for elections tbh, I agree with referendums, predicting it as the 25 marker, not only because of recent events but also because it hasnt come up in like 3 years
Original post by popcornjpg
essay won't be specifically on AMS though. I imagine it'll be something like 'to what extent to different electoral systems produce different outcomes', advantages/disadvantages of FPTP or advantages/disadvantages different electoral systems used in UK

there aint much they can ask for elections tbh, I agree with referendums, predicting it as the 25 marker, not only because of recent events but also because it hasnt come up in like 3 years

I see the first paragraph as likely, although AMS could be a 5 marker.

Referendums is a Democracy topic not Elections, but I otherwise agree.
Does anyone have any model 10/10 markers for democracy and elections please?
Reply 207

How's unit 2 going? That's harder:frown:
Reply 208

My teacher said that the question
'In what way do different elections produce different outcomes' might come up
That hasn't come up since 2012 and it fits in with current events with the local elections etc
I really want a FPTP Qu but doubt it will come up since it came up last year
Reply 209

You're right there
There is only so much you can ask with elections
Original post by xxvine
My teacher said that the question
'In what way do different elections produce different outcomes' might come up
That hasn't come up since 2012 and it fits in with current events with the local elections etc
I really want a FPTP Qu but doubt it will come up since it came up last year

I feel like I could deal with that if it came up as a 10 marker, not sure what I would do if it was a 25 marker though...

Perhaps "Assess the disadvantages of different electoral systems used in the UK"?
Reply 211
I feel like I could deal with that if it came up as a 10 marker, not sure what I would do if it was a 25 marker though...

Perhaps "Assess the disadvantages of different electoral systems used in the UK"?

Came up in 2012
Check the march scheme...it's not a great question though. You cannot really go in depth at all😳
Original post by xxvine
How's unit 2 going? That's harder:frown:

I haven't even started unit 2 revision yet. What did you get in both politics papers last year?
I might not turn up to my unit 2 resit because it's Thursday afternoon and my A2 AQA history exam is Friday morning which is quite important.

Also, i remember your name from the Sociology feed, how's sociology revision going. What's your third subject you do?
Reply 213
I haven't even started unit 2 revision yet. What did you get in both politics papers last year?
I might not turn up to my unit 2 resit because it's Thursday afternoon and my A2 AQA history exam is Friday morning which is quite important.

Also, i remember your name from the Sociology feed, how's sociology revision going. What's your third subject you do?

I do English. Sociology is kinda hard because so much to remember.
Are you doing ideologies for A2?
I got the same as your last year hence why I'm resitting them.
I think we should do better this year and tbh last years paper wasn't so difficult tbh
Hi guys,

Could someone please explain how FPTP creating a strong government shows democracy? I was doing a 25-marker, "how democratic is the UK?" and one of the points to show democracy in the UK is that FPTP creates strong government but I don't understand the link.
Original post by lilavocado
Hi guys,

Could someone please explain how FPTP creating a strong government shows democracy? I was doing a 25-marker, "how democratic is the UK?" and one of the points to show democracy in the UK is that FPTP creates strong government but I don't understand the link.

Strong governments are more likely to effectively put forward their manifesto and uphold promises they made to the electorate. Weak governments (e.g. coalitions arguably) will be less likely to legislate effectively because there is conflict of opinion and other such debates.
Original post by lilavocado
Hi guys,

landslide effect and dis-proportionality mean that it is easier to get a large majority - this makes the government stronger because more backbench MPs would have to rebel to defeat the government, so they rebel much less, so also makes gov. more stable

getting a majority with PR is incredibly difficult, and if it does happen, it will be something small, perhaps up to 20 if PR was used for Commons - by contrast, FPTP can produces majorities of +160
Can they ask about AV since its not actually used in the UK?
Strong governments are more likely to effectively put forward their manifesto and uphold promises they made to the electorate. Weak governments (e.g. coalitions arguably) will be less likely to legislate effectively because there is conflict of opinion and other such debates.

thanks so much!! :smile:
landslide effect and dis-proportionality mean that it is easier to get a large majority - this makes the government stronger because more backbench MPs would have to rebel to defeat the government, so they rebel much less, so also makes gov. more stable

getting a majority with PR is incredibly difficult, and if it does happen, it will be something small, perhaps up to 20 if PR was used for Commons - by contrast, FPTP can produces majorities of +160

thanks so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending