The Student Room Group

A Level Music experiences?

Hi, I'm currently a year 10 student taking my GCSEs and I am considering taking A Level Music at college. I was wondering what the course involves and would love to hear your own experiences of the class, good or bad. Thank you. 😉
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by *AD*
Hi, I'm currently a year 10 student taking my GCSEs and I am considering taking A Level Music at college. I was wondering what the course involves and would love to hear your own experiences of the class, good or bad. Thank you. 😉

Hey!!
I'm currently in my second year of sixth form but I changed my subjects at the start of this year so I'm currently doing As music with the prospect of continuing it next year while taking a gap year.
The course that I'm doing (I think it's edexcel but I'm not 100%) involves a listening paper which has analysis questions, a section on interpreting a skeleton score that you haven't seen before and a Bach chorale. There is also composition and performance.
In lessons we analyse the set works which took me a while to get used to because you do have to know them in a fair bit of detail and be up to scratch on musical terms but nothing much more than Grade 5 theory needs so it's not too bad. As long as you write down everything the teacher says and find a way that works for you to learn it you'll be fine. You also need to know a bit about different genres of music (for example, rocksteady) so that you can answer some of the essay questions in the exam as there is always one that refers to a music genre.
For the composition we were given 4 briefs to choose from, two options were instrumental and the other two were vocal.
For performance you need to have a few minutes worth of material (I can't remember the amount off the top of my head) and you can record it as many times as you want before sending it off so it's not too bad.
To be honest, if you are a musical person and find GCSE relatively simple then you should be absolutely fine at A level.

If you've got any questions then just ask me!!
Reply 3
@Starkidemmax Thank you, that's really helpful! I think most colleges offer the Edexcel course, which is good. I'm hoping to complete Grade 5 theory before finishing school, so it sounds like that would be useful! Good luck with your A levels. 😊
Original post by Starkidemmax
Hey!!
I'm currently in my second year of sixth form but I changed my subjects at the start of this year so I'm currently doing As music with the prospect of continuing it next year while taking a gap year.
The course that I'm doing (I think it's edexcel but I'm not 100%) involves a listening paper which has analysis questions, a section on interpreting a skeleton score that you haven't seen before and a Bach chorale. There is also composition and performance.
In lessons we analyse the set works which took me a while to get used to because you do have to know them in a fair bit of detail and be up to scratch on musical terms but nothing much more than Grade 5 theory needs so it's not too bad. As long as you write down everything the teacher says and find a way that works for you to learn it you'll be fine. You also need to know a bit about different genres of music (for example, rocksteady) so that you can answer some of the essay questions in the exam as there is always one that refers to a music genre.
For the composition we were given 4 briefs to choose from, two options were instrumental and the other two were vocal.
For performance you need to have a few minutes worth of material (I can't remember the amount off the top of my head) and you can record it as many times as you want before sending it off so it's not too bad.
To be honest, if you are a musical person and find GCSE relatively simple then you should be absolutely fine at A level.

If you've got any questions then just ask me!!

Oh gosh I study A level music but ours is so different! I study OCR music and plan to go onto a music degree next year, I'm currently in A2 and I have to learn set pieces and write essays for them, I do 7 Bach Chorales and 1 composition. I think A level music is a very hard A level choice, and I wouldn't chose it unless I loved the subject or wanted to carry it on as a degree, as I believe the practice ext is very full on

Quick Reply

Latest