The Student Room Group

On the COMMON APP

I'm in year 12 and filling in information on the common app to study in America after my completion of A-levels and l was just wondering if anyone had any success with the website and any tips for me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by the.chantele
I'm in year 12 and filling in information on the common app to study in America after my completion of A-levels and l was just wondering if anyone had any success with the website and any tips for me?

I was thinking of studying in america, keep us updated on your progress :smile:
Original post by Ribenas
I was thinking of studying in america, keep us updated on your progress :smile:

I will :smile:

The online application form sure is longg.
I will :smile:

The online application form sure is longg.

It's long, but very convenient (assuming the ones you apply for don't have their own system).
Original post by zombiejon
It's long, but very convenient (assuming the ones you apply for don't have their own system).

That is true.
Reply 5
If you're doing A-Levels, you can leave the GPA blank.

Btw, are you applying now? The application has been closed for many unis.
Original post by chershen
If you're doing A-Levels, you can leave the GPA blank.

Btw, are you applying now? The application has been closed for many unis.

Yes, l am still filling in the application, the GPA bit confused me how am l meant to get my A-Levels calculated or GCSEs? If its possible. Other than that, l'm nearly done, l won't be sending it straight away because there IS a certain uni l want to go too and they are closed. ;/
Reply 7
Yes, it's very easy to use to send out your applications:smile:
Reply 8
Yes, l am still filling in the application, the GPA bit confused me how am l meant to get my A-Levels calculated or GCSEs? If its possible. Other than that, l'm nearly done, l won't be sending it straight away because there IS a certain uni l want to go too and they are closed. ;/

Just leave the GPA blank. The admission officer for your area understands the British system well.

You're sending your high school transcripts anyway, so your GCSEs and A-Levels will be in the transcripts and sent to school via your counselor.

So you're applying for 2017 entry?
Original post by lo24la
Yes, it's very easy to use to send out your applications:smile:

Have you filled in your application?
Just leave the GPA blank. The admission officer for your area understands the British system well.

You're sending your high school transcripts anyway, so your GCSEs and A-Levels will be in the transcripts and sent to school via your counselor.

So you're applying for 2017 entry?

Yeah 2017 entry, l am even applying for university here in the UK just in case l ever change my mind, l heard writing a personal statement is stressful so l want to get rid and do it early so in the long term, l can just send things off and do nothing.
Reply 11
Have you filled in your application?

Yes, back in October
Yeah 2017 entry, l am even applying for university here in the UK just in case l ever change my mind, l heard writing a personal statement is stressful so l want to get rid and do it early so in the long term, l can just send things off and do nothing.

You can start writing, but the topics may or may not change each year. So the best way is to first figure out your life stories that are significant for you. Find ways to tell your story to show your personality.

You can also prepare a résumé in .doc file since you've started so early. This résumé allows you to further elaborate on your extracurricular activities and others mentioned in your common application. This is optional though. I didn't upload this file.

Hmmm...what else? Have you taken SAT (my nightmare)? Take that as early as possible if you haven't. You can sit for a few times if you don't get the score that you need.
Reply 13
Just let you know that during the summer, the Common Application resets, so you might have to save all the inputted information onto somewhere. - from the experienced one -
Original post by lo24la
Yes, back in October

How did it go?
You can start writing, but the topics may or may not change each year. So the best way is to first figure out your life stories that are significant for you. Find ways to tell your story to show your personality.

You can also prepare a résumé in .doc file since you've started so early. This résumé allows you to further elaborate on your extracurricular activities and others mentioned in your common application. This is optional though. I didn't upload this file.

Hmmm...what else? Have you taken SAT (my nightmare)? Take that as early as possible if you haven't. You can sit for a few times if you don't get the score that you need.

Oh no, l haven't taken the SAT l heard its hard. I was planning on taking the SAT June but then l don't know, but l want it to do it as soon as possible.

Also, how do they do things there like lets say l want to study microbiology...how will they judge my grades in order for me to do that course because they seem to do points in the US.
Original post by kclintdever
just let you know that during the summer, the common application resets, so you might have to save all the inputted information onto somewhere. - from the experienced one -

omg thank you so much!
Reply 17
you can ask me everything about
Reply 18
you can ask me everything about the common app @the.chantele.
Oh no, l haven't taken the SAT l heard its hard. I was planning on taking the SAT June but then l don't know, but l want it to do it as soon as possible.

Also, how do they do things there like lets say l want to study microbiology...how will they judge my grades in order for me to do that course because they seem to do points in the US.

If I recall correctly, most undergraduates will enter in a general pool for basic science courses for 1-2 years. Then they will apply for a specialization based off their grades from Y1-Y2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending