The Student Room Group

Japanese at Edinburgh, SOAS or Durham

I'm currently stick in a slight dilemma; I have no idea which offers to choose!

My offers are:
Durham: A D3 D3 (D3 is an A)
Edinburgh: A M2 M2 (M2 is a B)
SOAS: A/B D3 M2 (I think.. I need to check that but Track is down atm)

I've heard that SOAS is best academically, but I'm really worried about the social life and whether I'll have a proper "University" experience there...

Anyone have any advice!?
Reply 1
Edinburgh is an amazing city, like london only far fewer people, so less crowded. Everyone I know whos studied there has loved it. Great social life, public transport, live music everything a student needs, I may be biased as thats my home town.
Reply 2
Original post by swissy9
Edinburgh is an amazing city, like london only far fewer people, so less crowded. Everyone I know whos studied there has loved it. Great social life, public transport, live music everything a student needs, I may be biased as thats my home town.

Ah thank you very much for the insight :smile: it sounds like a great place - I want to visit it soon if I can...
Reply 3
I wish I'd gone to SOAS - it has a very good reputation and you will get a very good degree. I got an offer there for Chinese and ended up not going.

My sister went to uni in London, and although it's not the same one the campuses are set up similarly - you have to put in more effort for a social life because there is no single campus and given London prices you might not live near the University itself.

That being said all 3 are very good universities I would recommend either Edinburgh or SOAS, I think they're a bit ahead of Durham in languages. Edinburgh is nice, I visited once for an open day.
Reply 4
Original post by Inkycat16

My offers are:

I've heard that SOAS is best academically, but I'm really worried about the social life and whether I'll have a proper "University" experience there...

Anyone have any advice!?

Hi
I will also recommend either SOAS or Edinburgh. This is because Japanese studies at Durham is a relatively new course and hence somewhere with a more established history of teaching will be better.
Original post by Inkycat16

My offers are:

Anyone have any advice!?

Hi! I'd recommend SOAS! I have an offer for them this year, the only reason I'm not going is because of cost :frown: if you're not too worried about the sheer cost of London then I'd recommend it, their courses are amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending