The Student Room Group

Wanting to learn either a guitar or Piano...

Hello,

Ok to start off with, I have absolutely no background knowledge when it comes to musical instruments so have no clue about anything. So the last 3 years I have been listening to lots of music and have heard soo many nice songs with guitar and/or piano in it that I wish I could play.

But I need some advice about what instrument path I should follow. Either piano or guitar. What to buy and from where? My brother already has a guitar which plays....and is a tad annoying but thats what to expect when you get an instrument, playing lots to practice. Is it better to get a keyboard or a piano? Any more tips. Just as an example, would be pretty cool to play 'The Sacrifice-Michael Nyam which is wayyyy of my experience.
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
Hello,

Ok to start off with, I have absolutely no background knowledge when it comes to musical instruments so have no clue about anything. So the last 3 years I have been listening to lots of music and have heard soo many nice songs with guitar and/or piano in it that I wish I could play.

But I need some advice about what instrument path I should follow. Either piano or guitar. What to buy and from where? My brother already has a guitar which plays....and is a tad annoying but thats what to expect when you get an instrument, playing lots to practice. Is it better to get a keyboard or a piano? Any more tips. Just as an example, would be pretty cool to play 'The Sacrifice-Michael Nyam which is wayyyy of my experience.

I first started playing the Keyboard in order to learn and apply the basic theory such as the different kinds of notes, Scales, Arpeggios etc. After becoming more skilled, I moved onto the Piano and started graded music. You could just go straight to Piano if you want. Personally, I think the Keyboard/Piano are great instruments for beginners to learn the basics of music.

Quick Reply

Latest