The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thom18
Really? How do you know that?

exam reports.... its on the bottom of them
Reply 21
Thom18
Really? How do you know that?

The back of old examiners' reports I'm guessing - I just found them on the AQA website too! This January's was the lowest though, something like 47 for an A. Makes me feel slightly more optimistic about scraping an A overall (which I need for uni). I got 267 marks at AS, 57/60 in coursework and then medium-ish performances in PYA4 and 5, so cross your fingers.
Tinykates
am i the only one that did horoscopes?
I did horoscopes!! :smile:

Oh my god, I just realised - I called them horror-scopes all the way through my answer! LOL at least the examiner will have a laugh! :biggrin:
slowjamz
The back of old examiners' reports I'm guessing - I just found them on the AQA website too! This January's was the lowest though, something like 47 for an A. Makes me feel slightly more optimistic about scraping an A overall (which I need for uni). I got 267 marks at AS, 57/60 in coursework and then medium-ish performances in PYA4 and 5, so cross your fingers.

I hope 55 is an A, that means for UMS, it would be summit like 96, and If i add 96 to 359, I should have in total 455. ARGH, thats not an A. 480 is an A
Reply 24
slowjamz

You'll probably get that A - I got 264 at AS, 58/60 in coursework and very well in PYA4 (touch wood) and well today....
Reply 25
how many marks out of 60 do u need for an A for pyb5
cheers
Reply 26
James_W
You'll probably get that A - I got 264 at AS, 58/60 in coursework and very well in PYA4 (touch wood) and well today....

Thanks for the vote of confidence James :smile: I am really praying I get an A. I know I didn't do as well as I could have done in PYA4, but today seemed okay. When I try and estimate my marks it's always either a low A or high B, so I'm going to be very nervous on results day :frown: Not much I can do about it now though. It does sound like you did very well on all the exams, so I'm sure you'll get your A :smile:
Reply 27
Tinykates
am i the only one that did horoscopes?

Nope. I did horoscopes as well, but I was SO STUCK with it!
I did behavioural (good predictions - positive reinforcement, avoiding unpleasant
events ie changing her plans - negative reinforcement - both increase the likelyhood of repeating the action)

and Psychodynamic (but that was crap - I said she had unresolved conflicts in the childhood which caused a fixation, which resulted in a feeling of insecurity and constant need of advice, compensated by reading horoscopes)

Evaluation was crap - I did behavioural, but I couldnt say much - culture bias, deterministic, mechanistic and oversimplistic - that's all I managed to caome up with.

Method I suggested was an experiment asking people who never read horoscopes to ask and read them and see if they gonna do it regularly - I know it's all crap. I said that if they find it rewarding and read it regularly, that'll prove the behaviourist explanation right. Well at least it gave me an opportunity to criticize it (tho I only managed to come up with about 4 points of crticism)

As for section 2 I did the "cultural bias" question and I got the feeling I messed it up completely! I talked about Mead and African tribes, Bond et al (Students in Taiwan) but they all lacked detail. Then I went over all 4 approaches and said in what way they were culturally biased.

The only question I did more or less ok, was the one about comparing biological and behavioural approaches. The problem with that is taht I knew so much about both approaches, that i wrote pages of AO1 but not enough of AO2.

Generally I thought I'd messed it up big time. Hope the results will prove me wrong :confused:
Reply 28
for the Edexcel Psychology paper i did question 2 and 3.

I was happy a debate came up!

TROD.
Reply 29
Hi Guys,
Got on fine with paper except on the free-will/determinism question, does it matter that i mentioned no research? There just wasn't any to mention unlike the other ethics and cultural bias questions. I just mentioned the different approaches and 'soft' and 'liberal' determinisms.

Will i lose synopticity marks?

Cheers,
S
Reply 30
Glad everyone thought it was a good paper.
I forgot to mention that I did behavioural & psychodynamic (psychodynamic for b) and behavioural for c) and d)).
My test was something about making a group watch trailers and a control group not, and asking their desire to see certain horror films, to test whether they are influenced by scenes in trailers.
*shrug* I'm fairly sure I went off the point in other questions, if the mark for an A is only 55/94 then I hope that means A city - somehow though, I fear the grade boundaries will be higher (everyone did well).
Reply 31
i did schizophrenia- nice nice question- i did loads on the dopamine hypothesis... only problem was my mind went blank and i couldn't remember a single psychologists name... ah well

i did issues- the one about research on humans and the ethics of it

i did the 'horror-scopes' question as well- did behavioural and cognitive (which i hate but i got stuck doing evolutionary)

lou xxx
Reply 32
lou p
i did schizophrenia- nice nice question- i did loads on the dopamine hypothesis... only problem was my mind went blank and i couldn't remember a single psychologists name... ah well

Don't worry about it Lou - I was reading an examiners' report today which said that if you can use a study to illustrate a point and describe it accurately and recognisably, you'll get as many marks for it as if you remember the name and date :smile: So I'm sure you'll have done brilliantly regardless. I wrote loads on the dopamine hypothesis too - it was a very nice question!
Reply 33
I did mine in the morning because I had Edexcel S2 Math in the afternoon. Overall, I think I did much better on both papers than I thought I would and the questions were fairly straightforward. For PYA5, I did Schizophrenia, culture bias and the horror films one, using the Behavioural and Psychodynamic approach. They were pretty much the questions I were hoping that would come up. I pratically wrote until the last page and my thumb still hurts now. I got 268 for my AS, 51/60 for my coursework, A/Bs for many time essays throughout the year and been predicted an A from the start. However, I'm not too sure whether I got an A this year, because the questions were quite nasty for PYA4, especially the education one. But anyways, I only need a B this year for an A overall. I won't worry much if I end up getting a B instead, as long as I'm able to get into the course I want or have a good chance through Clearing.
Reply 34
chidori
I did mine in the morning because I had Edexcel S2 Math in the afternoon.

Wow, someone in the same boat as me, then.
I was quarantined all on my own after the exam, but then both papers today were easy, so I can't complain.
Reply 35
ShadowStorm
I was quarantined all on my own after the exam, but then both papers today were easy, so I can't complain.

Yea, before the exam, I was so scared and annoyed at how evil the examiners were for putting 2 completely different exams on the same day. There were 2 other people on the same schedule as me. I wanted to go to the toilet after my PYA5 but I noticed that seveal others had already requested to go and I thought that if I called too soon, the invigilator would be cross! So I had to wait and did manage to go. Then I had more water during lunch and was too scared about going for the second time. As a result, I could barely stand up once the S2 exam finished. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach!

I felt weird staying in the sports hall for 2 hours though. Luckily, my maths teacher was around to help us revise our S2 and it made me much more confident.
Reply 36
ShadowStorm

weird, i did S2 this morning... there were 8 of us quarantined from my college. maybe it's upto your college which you do first?

lou xxx
Reply 37
chidori
Yea, before the exam, I was so scared and annoyed at how evil the examiners were for putting 2 completely different exams on the same day. There were 2 other people on the same schedule as me. I wanted to go to the toilet after my PYA5 but I noticed that seveal others had already requested to go and I thought that if I called too soon, the invigilator would be cross! So I had to wait and did manage to go. Then I had more water during lunch and was too scared about going for the second time. As a result, I could barely stand up once the S2 exam finished. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach!

I felt weird staying in the sports hall for 2 hours though. Luckily, my maths teacher was around to help us revise our S2 and it made me much more confident.

nasty, we got locked in a little classroom and one of the invidulators kept popping in to check we were ok and none of us needed the toilet, and we got to use the staff loos, they have flowers in there!

they were nice with us, we did s2 at 10.30 so we didn't have to sit around too long between exams

lou xxx
I was wondering.. Seeing as everyone does different questions (obviously, and particularly true in unit 4) , if there is a question done particularly badly , is it the results from THAT QUESTION that have slightly different grade boundaries (and UMS) or is it from the total scores from the paper regardless of which questions you do..?

ARGH.. I blame uk-learning for this preoccupation, I didn't know what UMS was until I came here. !"!
Reply 39
eternalsunshine
I was wondering.. Seeing as everyone does different questions (obviously, and particularly true in unit 4) , if there is a question done particularly badly , is it the results from THAT QUESTION that have slightly different grade boundaries (and UMS) or is it from the total scores from the paper regardless of which questions you do..?

ARGH.. I blame uk-learning for this preoccupation, I didn't know what UMS was until I came here. !"!

lol thts actually quite a good question however i have NO diea wat the answer is. Did ne1 do horoscopes question? i wrote about psychodynamic and well i hadnt prepared for tht question at all, infact i wasnt intending to do it but i had the time in the end so i thought i might as well. In the part about testing it i wrote about all the therapists methods such as dream analysis and stuff...is tht completely wrong????
the other questions were fine i think although the culture one was a bit weird with the 5/25 marking scheme. I only need a D to get an A overall so lets hope for the best!
xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending