The Student Room Group

Can I go to uni if...

I am sort of certain that in 2008, I want to go to the Uni of West England in Bristol to do media.

However, I'm unhappy with my A Level choices.

I took, originally, Drama, Media, Psychology, and Business Studies. General Studies is compulsory.

After two months, I found the workload too much and between Psychology and Business Studies, I dropped Business Studies.

I regret that now, as I am struggling to learn in psychology - it bores me and isn't what I expected.

At the end of this year, I want to drop Psychology and pick up another AS that I know I would be good at.

Basically,

I would like to go from:

AS Drama

AS Media

AS Psychology

AS General Studies

to:

A Drama

A Media

AS English or IT

A General Studies

If I keep at what I'm doing at the moment, I'm probably going to get around 340 points with general studies, and 260 points without.

If I can change, I think I will get around 350 points with general and 270 points without.

Will doing Four AS Levels and Two A Levels (plus General Studies) get me into the Uni?
Reply 1
If the uni in question goes by UCAS points, and the subject you want to do does not have any requirements (English Lit requiring at least a B at A-Level, etc), then they should accept you regardless. If you have enough UCAS points, then yes, I imagine so.

EDIT: Also, do not do IT at AS/A-Level. It's disgusting. Really :smile:.
Reply 2
depends really how the course is like how much in demand it is which is usally reflected by the grades/ums points they want from students. on the subject of your choices i think doing 4 As's and 2 A level's is only ok as long as you are able to handle it both As english and IT have a fair amount of work maybe a bit more than As business studies. So i would go with whatever you think you can handle.

I think you can get into SOME uni's with 4 As's and 2 A levels but some may want 3 A levels so make sure to check.

GL
Reply 3
Contact the universities you are interested in they will give you the best answer, some will take 2 AS levels instead of 1 A level and accept General Studies.

Wont you also have AS Psychology?
Reply 4
I know that Essex, Sheffield and I think Cardiff will accept two A levels and 2 AS levels...and uwe don't specify that they want 3 A levels for media, just that they want 280-300 points and I guess you can get those through As or A levels.
Reply 5
Lancaster do for some courses too.:smile:
If UWE accept General Studies, you'll have 3 A-levels and 2 AS levels, which is more than enough as long as your grades are high enough to satisfy the total number of UCAS points they want. Even if they don't, they might accept your 2 AS levels as a third A-level. It should say in their prospectus or on their website whether they do or not.
You could do the entire A level in a year, several of my friends did that during our A2s. If you do English it'd be easy to do, ICT would be harder as there is LOADS of coursework, whereas English is just an essay in each year. It'd be hard work, but if you're focused and determined you'll be able to do it. Then you'd come out with 3A2s, plus A2 GS, and then an AS, so the same as everyone else.
Reply 8
Do yourself a favour..Forget ICT do english lit :smile:...Im currently doing ICT A2, i remember last year...my coursework was 290 pages or so!

Regards
Reply 9
ICT is a bitch.
Reply 10
A Level ICT is a joke. I started doing it when I began A Levels....dropped it after 2 weeks because I realised how utterly crap the course is...and switched to A Level English Literature which was sooo much more credible and rewarding. I suggest you avoid my mistake and do English instead of IT...unless of course you are a computing genius and absolutely love the subject.
Reply 11
OP, you wont have 4 AS and 3 A levels (including general studies)
You will have 3 A levels and 2 AS. The AS you do this year arent a seperate qualification if you take them on for A2.

Are you dropping psychology before the exams or not?
Reply 12
They don't usually accept general studies, do they?
I'd say ring the Uni and check with them?

Latest

Trending

Trending