The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I took about 3 Creative Writing modules as part of my degree (and 1 that was CW mixed with Literary Theory) and have to agree with what has been said about writing students not reading enough. It really surprised and disheartened me that so many students would rather talk about either their own work or films and TV than genuine works of literature, modern or classic.

I got Firsts in both my CW and English Lit modules, but the only reason I did so in the writing ones was because I (a) write 500 words every day and (b) read everything I can get my hands on, from Terry Pratchett to Umberto Eco and Jorge Luis Borges to Dante and Shakespeare.

The writing modules did help, but only insofar as they honed my work, cut out the cliches and purple prose etc, and pointed out mistakes that I probably would have gone on making for a while yet had I only written alone with the door closed. CW classes also force you to write regularly, write in different genres, and receive critical feedback, which is all useful for a novice writer.

If the student is conscientious enough, I also think that CW classes can make them a better reader and critic. You can learn how to view a literary text from the 'inside' so to speak. Moreover, at my uni (though I don't know whether all unis are the same) I was required to write Critical Commentaries, reflecting critically on my own work and discussing how it has been influenced by other writers.

I did enjoy and benefit from my CW modules, but I've decided to do my MA in English Literary Studies. I do love reading and would love a chance to study great literary works at postgrad level. Without that love for reading, I don't think I'd be so inspired to write.
Hey

I've been accepted on the English Lit and Creative Writing Course.
You're right that a lot of it is to do with the reputation of the university, UEA being known for creative writing gave my course choice more credit than if I'd applied anywhere else. (although the Warwick one was amazing, I admit).

The discussion about the relevance of creative writing courses was fascinating, so I thought I'd throw my tuppence in!

I think it's true there is a general problem with subjectivity. You can't *tell* someone how to write. However, if you look at how the majority of courses are set out, they're workshops. They set you a task and allow you to interpret it in your own way, and each week receive critical analysis from your peers, and do rewrites. (at least that's what my course offers).

To be honest, as a writer, I think it's great that a course is available (and I'm doing it with literature because i think wider reading is probably the most important thing-Sort of how painting is supposedly 90% looking and 10% actual painting).

Also, I'm aiming to get onto the MA course. I know people may think it's a waste, and although the idea of "rubbing shoulders" with the celebrities of the literary world is exciting, perhaps it's more the fact that I get to go into a lecture or a workshop every day to do something I absolutely love?

Writing has gained more credit, and even some of the older universities (oxbridge in particular, mentioned in the paper) are being asked to consider Creative writing courses, just because it makes the style of academic writing improve.

well, this was long, and not particularly interesting. But maybe I managed to explain why some people would take the course?

All the best!
Reply 22
^^ Thanks for your post - but apart from possibly more links to literary contacts, what can such a course offer you that a weekly/monthly creative writing circle meeting cannot?
Angelil
^^ Thanks for your post - but apart from possibly more links to literary contacts, what can such a course offer you that a weekly/monthly creative writing circle meeting cannot?

Well, for starters, most of the people I know taking the course, myself included, want to write professionally. And that's what my course aims to do, teach you how to "polish" your work, so that it's the standard publishers expect. There's a lot more to that than anyone realises.

Similarly, There are modules on Publishing, Editing, a variety of other areas of writing that wouldn't always be covered in a discussion group. And it's nice to have the expert knowledge that lecturers afford.

Plus, as snobby as this may sound (and I apologise), if you've been chosen for the course, based on your portfolio work, you *know* you at least have the potential to do more.

Well, that's it for me anyway, plus, I absolutely love it, and English lit really helps my writing, and understanding of themes etc. Hell, if people can do David Beckham studies just because they love it, then why not?!:smile:
Ive just finished my first year doing Media with a joint in creative writing. I started out with english combined and creative writing but english was crap, definalty not all it was cracked up to be so I made the switch.
I LOVE creative writing, it is by far one of the best subjects, Im not too fond of all the tutors that we had last year, some of them were extremly full of themselves but we did have the odd few who were really down to earth and helpful. Our scriptwriting teacher was by far the best, he gave us a real insight into the industry and how to go about getting into it etc. He's wrote for Emmerdale and EastEnders plus a million other mini-projects so he knew his stuff. The other teachers, most had soemthing published but it wasn't anything worldwide or well known.

Alot of people do make the mistake of going into the course because they belive they are the next Jk Rowling or Stephen King - 9/10 thats just not the case. I wouldnt say Im the best writer but I do think that the really good tutors have the ability to get something out of you, and to help you improve whatever talent you have. My writing has vastly improved over the year.

For everyone taking creative writing this year I have one huge-will-save-your-ass piece of advice. Keep a writers journal, start it as soon as possible. Any idea, any thought to do with a piece of writing that comes into your head get it written down, no matter how short or long. Snippets of conversation or jokes, anything you would ever consider using in a piece of writing just anything! My journal has saved my life so many times, perfect for when your stuck with writers block or have to do something on the spot. It just makes everything a whole lot easier!
Oh dear. I am starting english with creative writing in september but i don't read books or anything :frown: should I be worried :confused:
Miss~Brightside
Oh dear. I am starting english with creative writing in september but i don't read books or anything :frown: should I be worried :confused:

If you got in somewhere you must be pretty good but I'd recommend you'd get reading, I don't understand how people can write if they don't read, there's no way I'd be able to if I hadn't read as many books as I have.
I have no idea what to read, I dont really like fiction, I don't even like films, Yes I've got in I don't think i'm that bad, I enjoy writing, I write quite amusing stories of real life things that my friends enjoy reading lol, hmm I'll just have to see how things go I guess, This is my second attempt at uni I need to get it right :s-smilie:
Miss~Brightside
I have no idea what to read, I dont really like fiction, I don't even like films, Yes I've got in I don't think i'm that bad, I enjoy writing, I write quite amusing stories of real life things that my friends enjoy reading lol, hmm I'll just have to see how things go I guess, This is my second attempt at uni I need to get it right :s-smilie:

I'm sure you'll be fine, I'm not saying you're in trouble, I'm just saying I couldn't do it like that! If you can find something that you like then it might help you but if not I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 29
How the hell did you get in for English if you don't read?
Now I understand how some people at my uni would turn up to the seminars week on week having not read the book...
For goodness sake, just read something. Anything. It doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it, but you really need to read something or you're going to struggle majorly with your course.
Interesting thread.

I decided to take creative writing as a single honours degree simply because I believe that it is the subject that I will find most rewarding. Whether it is the most useful or not is really beside the point. I enjoy writing (creatively) and want to do it extensively and as such I the decision was pretty much made for me.

I do feel there are some rather harsh generalisations in this thread though :smile:. I'm doing this to improve not only my standard fiction writing, but to also do things that I would not have done on my own (play writing and poetry spring to mind).

Each to their own though I suppose. I'm not doing a degree to get a job, I'm doing it for the experience of going to University and hopefully coming out of it with a decent qualification. There certainly seems to be some snobbery from the English students though :smile:.
Reply 31
It's not "snobbery" per se - I just find it hard to believe that an employer would want to see that someone can write creatively, when in all likelihood what they want to see is that someone can write critically.
Angelil
It's not "snobbery" per se - I just find it hard to believe that an employer would want to see that someone can write creatively, when in all likelihood what they want to see is that someone can write critically.

The assumption you are making though is that people choose a degree based on what employers think of it. Something which I don't think is always the case. At least it is not for me.

I could have done English, in fact I was offered a place to study creative writing with English as a dual honours degree but I decided that it was the creative writing aspect I enjoyed the most and so decided I would take it as a single honours course.

Also, in order to write creatively you need to be critical of your own work which is infinitely harder than being critical of someones else's :smile:. Anyway, I respect your opinion on creative writing, in fact I agree with you to an extent. But it is all so easy to fall into the trap of thinking that only certain degrees are worth doing. You should always choose the degree that is best suited to you rather than the one which is going to land you a £100,000 a year job.
I'm going to be doing English Literature with Creative Writing at Royal Holloway this September. As said before, it is not always the later job prospects that attract someone to a course. Initially I was 100% set at doing a single honours creative writing Ba somewhere else but then I decided I wanted something a little more 'academic' (though I hate using that word) just to balance it out a bit.

I would never have chosen a degree just because of the job prospects it offers for after you've finished the course because I am not the sort of person who can just sit down and work at something I hate, I have to be passionate about the subject, and if I'm passionate about anything it's reading and writing.
Reply 34
Miss~Brightside

How on earth do you think you can be a good writer if you don't read good writing? How can you learn? It's no different from Victoria Beckham writing her autobiography and bragging that she'd never read a book cover to cover, so she thought she'd write one. What respect do you think your lecturers will have for you when they realise that you have no interest in literature, and no inclination to read anything that wasn't written by you? Your naivety is astonishing. Actually, it's pathetic. You need a wake-up call. Hopefully, at university, that is what you'll get. It'll be the best thing that could happen to you, and the only way you can ever hope to develop as a writer.
Reply 35
Miss~Brightside

Oh. My. God. Why are you doing a course with English Literature in it if you don't like reading?!?!? I don't even know what to say to you.

I think it's all very well doing something you love, but to give yourself £20,000 worth of debt and end up without a qualification that will better your job prospects seems a little short-sighted to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending