The Student Room Group

Ultimate Revision Tips Thread - Share Yours!!

Scroll to see replies

This has been brilliant to read, thank-you :smile:
Reply 21
damn if only i came across this two months ago
Thank youuu!! These should hopefully help me for my GCSEs this year!! How do you stay focused and get the attitude to revise? I keep on getting really distracted and cannot be asked to revise :/ Any tips on solving this? or even trying to remember information?
Original post by charlott3
Thank youuu!! These should hopefully help me for my GCSEs this year!! How do you stay focused and get the attitude to revise? I keep on getting really distracted and cannot be asked to revise :/ Any tips on solving this? or even trying to remember information?

I always try to make my revision fun, personally I really like stationery and stuff so by using a lot of that it helps me motivate myself :smile: I've found recently that revising with friends, and having a strict 25 min silence/5 min break (pomodoro) thing with all of us works well, because we all do it together and no one wants to be the first to talk :tongue:
Okay, Thank you!!!! but when I try and revise with my friends we keep getting distracted, I am just really scared for next year because I want to do really well and get A/A*s, I will try some of your tips, thank you for your help! :tongue:
Hi, I was just wondering if you had any tips on making a plan for the course of the year? I'm looking to go from Bs to As from AS to A2, any advice would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
:awesome: Hi everyone :awesome:

As we come to the end of the half term, lots of people are wanting to get ahead with their revision already! However, it's only natural for a lot of you to have questions on the best ways to revise and manage your time, especially if this is your first round of major exams! :h:

When should I get started?
According to our poll last year, most of you voted that the best time to get started for revision is February! It's always best to get ahead with your revision and then you don't need to cram in the last month.

How should I manage my time? Should I make a timetable?
Personally, I think a revision timetable is one of the ultimate methods of distraction and procrastination :mmm: While it might work for some people (in which case I would thoroughly recommend TSR's study planner), a lot of the time we have a tendency to make them too rigid, unrealistic or spend too much time making them.
Instead, I'd recommend making a checklist at the start of every day with 3-5 things on that you want to achieve that day. With a small list rather than a massive schedule, it will look like your workload is a lot smaller, easier to manage and you'll find it easier to get motivated.

What should I revise first?
While you might be tempted to revise the things you enjoy first and put off the harder things, I find this technique works best:
WP_20160218_001.jpg
Make a graph for each of your subjects, and plot every topic on it. Start in the area marked '1' for your revision, and work your way through them that way.
Make sure you go back and replot the graph once you've revised everything, to see what still needs more work!

How do I actually revise then?!
There's too many revision techniques to list, but the most effective things for you will depend on what kind of learner you are. If you don't already know, then take a quiz like this one and try and tailor your revision to your type.

Post it notes: This has to be one of my favourite methods of revision. Write key words, quotes, equations, definitions, dates, etc on post it notes (colour code them if you have different topics) and stick them on your wall where you'll see them all the time. Whenever you look at them, read them and say them outloud, and test yourself on them all the time.

Condense your notes: Combining both your class notes and your textbook, try to fit all of the information from each topic onto an A4 page. Then condense that down into A5. Then keep halving until you have all of the key information on a flash card sized piece of paper.

Flashcards: You can write essay plans, definitions and key points on flashcards, and then hole punch them and put them on a ring to keep them together and take some with you whenever you go out. While you're sat on the bus, instead of browsing the internet aimlessly, test yourself on a few flashcards!

Past papers: The holy grail of revision. Nothing beats replicating a real exam for practice- do a whole paper with no notes, then mark it and highlight on the mark scheme all of the marks that you missed. Go back through the paper and add corrections and additions in a different coloured pen, and make a note of the topics where you missed marks so you can look over them again.

:awesome: If you have any questions or extra tips on revision, then let me know here! :awesome:

Hiya,
I will be starting sixth form this september do you have any advice for year 12 ?

As we come to the end of the half term, lots of people are wanting to get ahead with their revision already! However, it's only natural for a lot of you to have questions on the best ways to revise and manage your time, especially if this is your first round of major exams! :h:

When should I get started?
According to our poll last year, most of you voted that the best time to get started for revision is February! It's always best to get ahead with your revision and then you don't need to cram in the last month.

How should I manage my time? Should I make a timetable?
Personally, I think a revision timetable is one of the ultimate methods of distraction and procrastination :mmm: While it might work for some people (in which case I would thoroughly recommend TSR's study planner), a lot of the time we have a tendency to make them too rigid, unrealistic or spend too much time making them.
Instead, I'd recommend making a checklist at the start of every day with 3-5 things on that you want to achieve that day. With a small list rather than a massive schedule, it will look like your workload is a lot smaller, easier to manage and you'll find it easier to get motivated.

What should I revise first?
While you might be tempted to revise the things you enjoy first and put off the harder things, I find this technique works best:
WP_20160218_001.jpg
Make a graph for each of your subjects, and plot every topic on it. Start in the area marked '1' for your revision, and work your way through them that way.
Make sure you go back and replot the graph once you've revised everything, to see what still needs more work!

How do I actually revise then?!
There's too many revision techniques to list, but the most effective things for you will depend on what kind of learner you are. If you don't already know, then take a quiz like this one and try and tailor your revision to your type.

Post it notes: This has to be one of my favourite methods of revision. Write key words, quotes, equations, definitions, dates, etc on post it notes (colour code them if you have different topics) and stick them on your wall where you'll see them all the time. Whenever you look at them, read them and say them outloud, and test yourself on them all the time.

Condense your notes: Combining both your class notes and your textbook, try to fit all of the information from each topic onto an A4 page. Then condense that down into A5. Then keep halving until you have all of the key information on a flash card sized piece of paper.

Flashcards: You can write essay plans, definitions and key points on flashcards, and then hole punch them and put them on a ring to keep them together and take some with you whenever you go out. While you're sat on the bus, instead of browsing the internet aimlessly, test yourself on a few flashcards!

Past papers: The holy grail of revision. Nothing beats replicating a real exam for practice- do a whole paper with no notes, then mark it and highlight on the mark scheme all of the marks that you missed. Go back through the paper and add corrections and additions in a different coloured pen, and make a note of the topics where you missed marks so you can look over them again.

:awesome: If you have any questions or extra tips on revision, then let me know here! :awesome:

Heya,
would it be possible if you could give advice to people starting sixth form ?
Thank you x
Original post by nisha.sri
Heya,
would it be possible if you could give advice to people starting sixth form ?
Thank you x

That's a great idea, I'll write up a thread for it :yes:
That's a great idea, I'll write up a thread for it :yes:

Aw thank you x
So useful!
I do the same about the revision planning. I make checklists for each day and motivate myself to get it done! :smile:
I find that following a rigid timetable can be daunting and it isn't really flexible
Original post by gingerbread101

as we come to the end of the half term, lots of people are wanting to get ahead with their revision already! However, it's only natural for a lot of you to have questions on the best ways to revise and manage your time, especially if this is your first round of major exams! :h

when should i get started?
according to our poll last year, most of you voted that the best time to get started for revision is february! It's always best to get ahead with your revision and then you don't need to cram in the last month.

how should i manage my time? Should i make a timetable?
personally, i think a revision timetable is one of the ultimate methods of distraction and procrastination :mmm: While it might work for some people (in which case i would thoroughly recommend tsr's study planner), a lot of the time we have a tendency to make them too rigid, unrealistic or spend too much time making them.
Instead, i'd recommend making a checklist at the start of every day with 3-5 things on that you want to achieve that day. With a small list rather than a massive schedule, it will look like your workload is a lot smaller, easier to manage and you'll find it easier to get motivated.

what should i revise first?
while you might be tempted to revise the things you enjoy first and put off the harder things, i find this technique works best:
WP_20160218_001.jpg
make a graph for each of your subjects, and plot every topic on it. Start in the area marked '1' for your revision, and work your way through them that way.

how do i actually revise then?!
there's too many revision techniques to list, but the most effective things for you will depend on what kind of learner you are. If you don't already know, then take a quiz like this one and try and tailor your revision to your type.

post it notes: this has to be one of my favourite methods of revision. Write key words, quotes, equations, definitions, dates, etc on post it notes (colour code them if you have different topics) and stick them on your wall where you'll see them all the time. Whenever you look at them, read them and say them outloud, and test yourself on them all the time.

condense your notes: combining both your class notes and your textbook, try to fit all of the information from each topic onto an a4 page. Then condense that down into a5. Then keep halving until you have all of the key information on a flash card sized piece of paper.

flashcards: you can write essay plans, definitions and key points on flashcards, and then hole punch them and put them on a ring to keep them together and take some with you whenever you go out. While you're sat on the bus, instead of browsing the internet aimlessly, test yourself on a few flashcards!

past papers: the holy grail of revision. Nothing beats replicating a real exam for practice- do a whole paper with no notes, then mark it and highlight on the mark scheme all of the marks that you missed. Go back through the paper and add corrections and additions in a different coloured pen, and make a note of the topics where you missed marks so you can look over them again.

this is great wow thank you xx
I loved this, especially the sticky notes for English quotes- thank you so much! x
Thank you so much!! I'm in year 10 and so far it's not as I expected it to be and I'm losing motivation each passing day! I have my exams next week and honestly I'm really worried so I hope to try these methods out
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4998046 Heres my tips in the form of a blog and these will be updated daily, please have a look !
Reply 36
My favourite way to revise is to teach someone else, whether it be my little sisters or my mum, I condense and simplify the information for their benefit, and it becomes easier to remember! :h: I also make a list of 'must do', 'should do' and 'could do' which really puts things into perspective better and I get the important stuff done first.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 37
Such a good thread, thanks for posting! :smile:
Reply 38
I found working with a timer helpful.
Putting the timer onto 20 minutes or 40 minutes and working until it went off. I'd then change it to 10 or 20 minutes depending on how long I'd been working for and have a rest while that was running. After that went off, I'd change it back and continue the cycle a few times during a session.
This is SO brilliantly written and just as useful! Wish I knew this last year ;____; but like you said, it's not the end of the world - I'm preparing for resits and I'll keep what you said in mind - These exams are a game between me and the examiner and I've beat this game countless times before so why not smash it even harder this time >:smile:
Thanks a billion for this blog! Everything looks so much brighter now :'D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending