The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Worried I've picked the wrong college at Durham?

Initially I wasn't expecting to want to go to Durham, and I chose St Chads as my college choice rather quickly. Now I am starting to seriously consider going to Durham University, and after finding out I've got into Chads, I don't know what to think.

I've tried to do some research, but struggling to build up an image of each of the colleges. I knew I wanted a traditional college with formals (and I love the idea of being on the Bailey). I'm not religious so I ruled out St Johns, and steered clear of Castle because of how competitive getting in would be (so more chance of ending up somewhere I really don't want to be!). I've also heard that only a small percentage of the rooms are actually in the castle. Bad stigma about Hatfield kept me from applying there, although now I realise I might actually like it, seeing as I could be considered posh and I like rugby guys. Beyond that I hadn't considered any other colleges, especially as the more modern colleges weren't that appealing to me.

I would say I am hard working, but I do enjoy going out and partying a fair bit. Any ideas if I would fit into Chads? Or any information you can share about any of the colleges would be really interesting please :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Han-
Initially I wasn't expecting to want to go to Durham, and I chose St Chads as my college choice rather quickly. Now I am starting to seriously consider going to Durham University, and after finding out I've got into Chads, I don't know what to think.

I've tried to do some research, but struggling to build up an image of each of the colleges. I knew I wanted a traditional college with formals (and I love the idea of being on the Bailey). I'm not religious so I ruled out St Johns, and steered clear of Castle because of how competitive getting in would be (so more chance of ending up somewhere I really don't want to be!). I've also heard that only a small percentage of the rooms are actually in the castle. Bad stigma about Hatfield kept me from applying there, although now I realise I might actually like it, seeing as I could be considered posh and I like rugby guys. Beyond that I hadn't considered any other colleges, especially as the more modern colleges weren't that appealing to me.

I would say I am hard working, but I do enjoy going out and partying a fair bit. Any ideas if I would fit into Chads? Or any information you can share about any of the colleges would be really interesting please :smile:

First year natural scientist at Chad's here! Honestly, you will have no issues. It is such a cosy and friendly college, everyone is very close and there are tons of events and parties throughout the year. Some people go out very often, others less but I suppose it is the same everywhere. Not being biased, we do have some of the best nights in the uni though (wait for Candlemas ball, it is amazing!) Apart from that, the focus of Chad's is very academic and hardwork is highly valued. There are gowned formals twice a week but you do not have to go to both (some people choose to never go at all although I wouldn't recommend it). I have joined a lot of sports and I love how everyone supports each other. We may be small but we usually have the greatest supporter turnout during cup matches. The college spirit is one of the best aspects and Chad's will be your second home in no time!

If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate! I'm happy to answer them.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Also have an offer from Chad's and Durham will probably be my firm. I did exactly the same as you in terms of ruling out other colleges (St J, Hatfield, Castle especially), but I don't regret my choice. I've had my moments of doubt, but thats like anything! Personally love the traditions, friendliness and homeliness that Chad's has to offer. It's the most beautiful and cozy college IMO and has amazing results, with many libraries in very close proximity to accommodation.

That's my only worry, accommodation, and the possibility of sharing a room for the first time in my life when we are meant to be becoming more independent, but I think Chad's makes up for it in other areas. The only other college I would possibly have chosen would have been St Cuths, but the risk of having accommodation that isn't on the Bailey (they have two different locations) wasn't worth it, it's far too pretty :smile:.
Reply 3
Thank you both for your replies!

I think I'm probably over-thinking it, and I will be visiting in March so will definitely get a proper feel for the college then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending