The Student Room Group

stay or leave the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Stay.

If you ask the Leavers what Leave actually means, they cannot tell you for sure. Some want to stay in the EU market, which will mean that we still have to pay in what we pay now and follow the same regulations as now (including the border stuff) - except we will have no say in it.

Others want to secede completely, which will mean we have to renegotiate trade deals with the rest of the world. The new deals are certainly not guaranteed to be even the same as what we have now, never mind better. This obviously has the disadvantage of being incredibly bad for our economy and trade while these deals are being sorted out - we have two years to negotiate before leaving and this will probably take much longer.

Such divided opinion under the same heading leaves me with the impression that we will be completely lost if we vote to leave, and many of the people that do so will still be disappointed. Add in the fact that the EU is effectively the only safeguard against the worst batch of Tories since Thatcher and we have a convincing argument to stay in.

Basically, if you don't like the Tories, vote stay.
Original post by Doug Stamper
What do you guys think we should do? I can't decide, personally.

I used to be undecided but now that Cameron has failed and once again showed that the EU does not want to change then I think we should Leave.
Original post by Failingstudent98
Stay- the only reason the average person currently has a problem with the EU is due to this belief the EU solely controls our immigration (and some people seem to think all immigration is negative which is equally irritating). People are panicking a looking for people to blame for this sudden panic of asylum seekers and increase in immigration, well I'm sorry but their are A LOT more things to factor in. Those arguing to leave need to read into what the EU actually offers us and why we have stayed in it up to this point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm voting to stay in but your snobbery and contempt for the people of this country is shining through here. You seem to think anybody who wants us to leave the EU are too stupid to engage their brains and have an economic-based argument for leaving.

Poor form
Looks like the bookies are giving around 15/8 to leave and 2/5 to stay in. The stays have it by a distance at this point
Original post by Xysoo
Lol this is a perfect example. Most of the people saying leave are people who have very little understanding of economics and the significant negative impact leaving would have on the UK, and are basically just racist/xenophobes who dont want to see any more foreigners in the country, so they're voting to leave.

Your group are the worst racists of all. Poor, tribal white van man just reacts viscerally to what happens around him but the pro-EU lobby are so afraid of diversity, so terrified of the differences between peoples that they only feel safe if they can guarantee that everyone is the same as themselves. These racists will only be happy when all diversity has been removed from the Europe.

The pro-EU racists are fighting a class war against the "chavs".
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll be voting to leave.

Whilst its best to advocate for the devil one knows rather than one we don't, I highly doubt there would be any significant losses as a result of a Brexit.

End of day, the only thing that would really change is the need to apply for residency permits to live within the EU or Schengen area.
Original post by Steliata
Stay.

If you ask the Leavers what Leave actually means, they cannot tell you for sure. Some want to stay in the EU market, which will mean that we still have to pay in what we pay now and follow the same regulations as now (including the border stuff) - except we will have no say in it.

Others want to secede completely, which will mean we have to renegotiate trade deals with the rest of the world. The new deals are certainly not guaranteed to be even the same as what we have now, never mind better. This obviously has the disadvantage of being incredibly bad for our economy and trade while these deals are being sorted out - we have two years to negotiate before leaving and this will probably take much longer.

Such divided opinion under the same heading leaves me with the impression that we will be completely lost if we vote to leave, and many of the people that do so will still be disappointed. Add in the fact that the EU is effectively the only safeguard against the worst batch of Tories since Thatcher and we have a convincing argument to stay in.

Basically, if you don't like the Tories, vote stay.

What evidence is there that we would have to abide by any other regulations if we do leave the EU, and wish to stay in the single market? It is within the interest of the EU for us to remain in the single market, as they export a great deal to this country.
leave definitely the fact that we have to beg them just to reduce benefits for migrants and even then we had to reduce them rather than completely stop them shows how much power we have given away to Brussels
Undecided at the moment, but just a couple of observations.
A great many of the people that are telling g everyone to vote stay are the same people that would have ditched the the pound and had us in the Euro.
Why do so many left leaning ( nearly all pro stay) people here and on other forums turn to insults so quickly.
"Sefish" "Racist", " xenophobic" , "Tory,scum, "you see it all.
I will vote to stay.
I'm close to the line, but ultimately I'd rather stay. I like the idea of a united Europe and I don't mean that in a Pan-European Nationalistic way.
Original post by frostyy
This referendum is so moronic. People with degrees in areas that are very involved in how Europe works and how this will affect the UK are not sure which route Britain should take and what will be the most appropriate decision, yet the government - which I actually doubt would have the insanity to do, but hey, perhaps that is the case - is allowing an average Joe, or a 'can I speak with the manager' Sharon, to decide something that will affect millions of people, many of which are outside of the country's borders. But you know man, democracy.

I appreciate what you've said and I myself used to think this way, the experts should make the decision because most people haven't the first clue about this, myself included.

Then again, most of the experts are either idiots (ideologues) or have their own vested interests. Some guy who graduated from the Center for European Integration Studies probably does know huge amounts about this issue, I wouldn't trust the guy to actually be unbiased or decide in the interests of the average working class Brit though.
Original post by caravaggio2
Undecided at the moment, but just a couple of observations.
A great many of the people that are telling g everyone to vote stay are the same people that would have ditched the the pound and had us in the Euro.
Why do so many left leaning ( nearly all pro stay) people here and on other forums turn to insults so quickly.
"Sefish" "Racist", " xenophobic" , "Tory,scum, "you see it all.

This supports my previous post, lots of very intelligent, highly informed people were the very people who wanted this country to join the Euro, the only reason we didn't was because of pressure from a few toffs and a bunch of uneducated, angry, tabloid reading little Englanders and these badly informed, common sense types were proven to be right in the end.
vote to leave - **** **** up and it will be a fun experience

vote to stay - piss off right-wingers and general xenophobes/racists and I'm half european

its a tough one tbh.
Original post by Callous Twits
vote to leave - **** **** up and it will be a fun experience

vote to stay - piss off right-wingers and general xenophobes/racists and I'm half european

its a tough one tbh.

Right on cue...cheers 😊
Original post by Roofas
This is unequivocally false.

All unskilled immigration is bad for the UK, whether it be from Poland, Australia, India or even Ireland. National infrastructure and services are at breaking point and while migrant teachers, engineers and nurses should be very welcome here, unskilled apple-pickers who can't even string together a coherent sentence are only burdens on society.

Why? If they're capable of picking apples then they're good for something.

How many, as a percentage of EU migrants, do you think/know are unskilled?
Original post by Xysoo
Lol this is a perfect example.

Most of the people saying leave are people who have very little understanding of economics and the significant negative impact leaving would have on the UK, and are basically just racist/xenophobes who dont want to see any more foreigners in the country, so they're voting to leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

more left wing nonsense. I f anything it would benefit out economy due to the huge damage it has done to the finance, agriculture and fishing industry
Reply 57
It depends of what would change. If the UK gets a similar status as Switzerland, and stays in the EEA, then it's probably better to leave.

The common feeling across Europe is that the UK has never been in the EU; it seems that since 1973, they have tried to undo or resist to all the European legislation. It looks better for both parts to move separately.

The UK should try to have better immigration/cooperation deals with Canada, the USA and Australasia, whilst still being able to attract high skilled European workers. It won't have access to European grants, but it won't have to pay for the EU.

As a firm Paneuropean, I say that the EU has failed and it's just a matter of time before we witness its disintegration. Creating a common market and currency without a government, and open borders without federal police, customs and coast guards, was foolish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Leave because I actually believe in democracy.
Original post by *Stefan*
Lol... Not a chance.

Said countries will be furious and will block any deals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 'said countries' have no choice. Period. And who needs their rubbish deals? If we leave the EU, then we can govern ourselves and considering we made it through 2 world wars almost single-handedly, there's no question about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending