The Student Room Group

stay or leave the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb

As a firm Paneuropean, I say that the EU has failed and it's just a matter of time before we witness its disintegration. Creating a common market and currency without a government, and open borders without federal police, customs and coast guards, was foolish.

That doesn't automatically mean it is right to leave. The worker waiting for a redundancy payoff, the manager hoping to do an MBO, the employee with nowhere better to go, all remain with a company even though they know it is going bust.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stay
Reply 82
Original post by TuppenceB
That's why I said almost single handedly, ok? Who cares about the tiny insignificant details here? It's a simple question we're bothered about - stay or leave. And everyone is.

You are dead right, David Beckham used to almost single handedly play against other football teams with the tiny insignificant detail there were another 10 team members as well.

I also almost single handedly gave birth to my kids with the tiny insignificant detail my wife was there too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
For the same reason the first and second largest economies don't have one.

It's not that hard to understand.

Err TTIP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
The British economy is not a single block. Britain imports a lot of cars from Europe so it has a bit of sway with European car makers but does not import a lot of tequila. So if it wants a trade deal with Mexico, the Mexicans can see export to Britain is small and does not have a lot of leverage.

Yea you need to read the post again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by paul514
Please tell me why the 5th soon to be 4th largest economy in the world, the eu's biggest export market with an 80 billion a year trade deficit with the Eu can't get a trade deal but Mexico can lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you even read what he said before posting this?

He literally said the UK does not need a deal at all, hence it doesn't care what the Eastern European countries think. This is completely different to your point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker
You are dead right, David Beckham used to almost single handedly play against other football teams with the tiny insignificant detail there were another 10 team members as well.

I also almost single handedly gave birth to my kids with the tiny insignificant detail my wife was there too.

No need to argue, I don't get to vote till I'm 18 anyway so...I'll take your word for it :smile:.
Leave

We are capable of standing on our own two feet
Original post by TuppenceB
No need to argue, I don't get to vote till I'm 18 anyway so...I'll take your word for it :smile:.

Don't worry all the 'stay' crowd can do, it seems, is launch personal attacks.

They could of course demonstrate to us the benefits of staying in but as they can't they'll just revert to usual form.
Stay :smile:
Original post by BaconandSauce
Leave

We are capable of standing on our own two feet

That doesn't mean we wouldn't do better together.

This macho nationalism *******s needs to stop.

They could of course demonstrate to us the benefits of staying in but as they can't they'll just revert to usual form.

It's been demonstrated over and over, but it's just met with rambling about "sovereignty", "democracy" and "Eastern Europeans are taking our jobs".

As for personal attacks, there were none made. I just pointed out that it's completely wrong to say that Britain won "singlehandedly". Russia lost far, far more soldiers, the US spent more money, it's just outright wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)

So true. Thanks :wink:
Reply 92

It's been demonstrated over and over, but it's just met with rambling about "sovereignty", "democracy" and "Eastern Europeans are taking our jobs".

Really?
Stay. EU immigration is unequivocally good for the UK. Leaving the EEA would be unequivocally bad for our economy.

The people wanting to leave are mostly disgruntled nationalists with power fantasies and delusions. They think we'll leave the EU and suddenly be a world superpower. They think immigrants are taking their jobs, when really they just can't get jobs because they're stupid. They think Britain would still be an Empire if we hadn't joined the EU. It's all a bit pathetic really. We have a representative democracy precisely to prevent issues like this - uninformed masses making decisions they can't understand the implications of. We shouldn't even be having a referendum.

I am not actually sure whether to stay or leave, but it's people like you that irritate me, spreading stereotypes that aren't always true because someone has a view that is different to your own.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Xysoo
Lol this is a perfect example.

Most of the people saying leave are people who have very little understanding of economics and the significant negative impact leaving would have on the UK, and are basically just racist/xenophobes who dont want to see any more foreigners in the country, so they're voting to leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, basically everybody that doesn't agree with you is a thick racist then.
Reply 95
I'd vote to leave.
I honestly cannot believe some people truly think that our interests will be served within this crumbling trade bloc/political union. it is common economic knowledge that the EU is faring terribly based on the trends in its performance. long term, this can only mean that the EU is going to act as an anchor to our economic potential. the answer is free trade and economic liberalisation worldwide, but people have no idea that the EU imposes tariffs and protectionism *everywhere* other than within europe itself! therefore, the EU is continentalist, not internationalist - the EU is stuck in the past. we need to trade openly with the entire world, not just ourselves.
I'll be voting to leave the EU. :smile: Maybe then we will be one step closer to ending mass immigration!
Reply 98
Anyone who thinks the UK can (and should) leave the EU is an ignorant, xenophobic simpleton........According to stay supporters. :rolleyes:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I'll be voting to leave the EU. :smile: Maybe then we will be one step closer to ending mass immigration!

You will be disappointed.

Even if immigration is massively reduced teachers will not get a pay rise. NHS will continue to be privatised.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending