The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ladydeborah
You can take part in the lessons in the first term socially and to learn dance. Absolute beginners can go. For those of you interested in break dancing, we have a breakin' society which works closely with the dance society, and is always in our show. Of course you don't have to be in the show, but it is great fun!! There are always loads of you on stage, if you don't do any of the dances you must (well you don't have to) do the finale!! It's always great fun and the social aspect of the rehearsals and after show parties is great!

Crazyirish - you will love next year, the course you're doing (me too!) is great and so is the dance society! You'll really enjoy it.

I ramble on a bit when it comes to dance. :p:

I'm getting excited about it already and I haven't even applied to uni yet :p:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
crazyirish
Yay! :biggrin: thanks for that ladydeborah...seriously am so excited now I know there's a dance society! & a show!! haven't performed in a dance show for atleast 5 years but loved 'em when I was in them! :biggrin:

ooh & can i just ask ladydeborah, as you're doing the course I'm going onto :biggrin: , how is it? what are the people in your classes like? what areas do you cover? because I love the sound of the class anyway, just from the prospectus, but would be good to hear it from your perspective as a student =]
xx

The course is great. The lecturers are all really lovely and helpful (like they told us some of the things that would be in our exams), and it's just a really friendly atmosphere. There are only 50 people on the course, even though about 300 apply, they only let 50 on so that it is more friendly. In your first year there are 3 big modules and 2 smaller ones. The two primarily language and grammar ones are really well taught, and are examined 50% with two pieces of coursework. Sociolinguistics is interesting if you liked the gender, ethnicity and class stuff that we did at A Level. Language Learning is really fun as you get to learn a weird language for 5 lessons, i did Russian, but you could choose German or Chinese too. I don't know what the last module will be, they may be changing it from this year as not many people liked it (it was "Working with texts" which is a computer based course). If they do do it, its not that bad, just a little bit boring. But there will always be a little bit of a course you don't like! Hope that helps, anything more you want to know just ask me! :biggrin:
Reply 22
ladydeborah
The course is great. The lecturers are all really lovely and helpful (like they told us some of the things that would be in our exams), and it's just a really friendly atmosphere. There are only 50 people on the course, even though about 300 apply, they only let 50 on so that it is more friendly. In your first year there are 3 big modules and 2 smaller ones. The two primarily language and grammar ones are really well taught, and are examined 50% with two pieces of coursework. Sociolinguistics is interesting if you liked the gender, ethnicity and class stuff that we did at A Level. Language Learning is really fun as you get to learn a weird language for 5 lessons, i did Russian, but you could choose German or Chinese too. I don't know what the last module will be, they may be changing it from this year as not many people liked it (it was "Working with texts" which is a computer based course). If they do do it, its not that bad, just a little bit boring. But there will always be a little bit of a course you don't like! Hope that helps, anything more you want to know just ask me! :biggrin:

Thanks so much for the insight, are you in your first year btw? I forgot to ask lol :rolleyes:
The course sounds as good as I had been expecting/hoping it would be! :biggrin:
Just 1 more quick Q, how much is the course examinations based? Or are you marked on essays through the year?? (sorry if that sounds really naive, just a bit confused! lol)
& 50 people doesn't sound too bad, I'm living at home in the first year so am hoping that that won't affect me too much, I live so close anyway (about 40mins away) that it shouldn't do :smile:

I'm also dying to pick up French again (dropped it before GCSE...regretted it ever since) I've been told there's evening language classes & learning a foreign language comes into the course at some point, so am defintely looking forward to that!
& ofcourse joining the dance society! :biggrin: Did you say you were the Ballroom leader/ambassador?
Thanks again :smile:
xx
crazyirish
Thanks so much for the insight, are you in your first year btw? I forgot to ask lol :rolleyes:
The course sounds as good as I had been expecting/hoping it would be! :biggrin:
Just 1 more quick Q, how much is the course examinations based? Or are you marked on essays through the year?? (sorry if that sounds really naive, just a bit confused! lol)
& 50 people doesn't sound too bad, I'm living at home in the first year so am hoping that that won't affect me too much, I live so close anyway (about 40mins away) that it shouldn't do :smile:

I'm also dying to pick up French again (dropped it before GCSE...regretted it ever since) I've been told there's evening language classes & learning a foreign language comes into the course at some point, so am defintely looking forward to that!
& ofcourse joining the dance society! :biggrin: Did you say you were the Ballroom leader/ambassador?
Thanks again :smile:
xx

I've just finished my first year, can't wait to do the second! You can choose to do a foreign language in your second year as one module, and i think you can in the third year too. They also do evening and day courses which you pay for, see here for details (look under "half course units" which cost £320 as in the first year it isn't part of your degree, or "evening classes" which cost between £110 and £230 depending how many modules you take - the evening classes are cheaper as you don't get extra credits for them). All languages are based at the Strand.

I've just been elected as ballroom officer, so i can't wait to start dancing again next term, and actually be on the committee! Hopefully will see you at our stall at the freshers' faire.
Reply 24
ladydeborah
I've just finished my first year, can't wait to do the second! You can choose to do a foreign language in your second year as one module, and i think you can in the third year too. They also do evening and day courses which you pay for, see here for details (look under "half course units" which cost £320 as in the first year it isn't part of your degree, or "evening classes" which cost between £110 and £230 depending how many modules you take - the evening classes are cheaper as you don't get extra credits for them). All languages are based at the Strand.

I've just been elected as ballroom officer, so i can't wait to start dancing again next term, and actually be on the committee! Hopefully will see you at our stall at the freshers' faire.

Thanks for the link - that's really useful :smile: I'd probably take it up as an evening class in the first year, then think about my options for the 2nd and/or third year.

You will definitely be seeing me at the stall @ the fresher's fair - aslong as I get the grades!
Thanks for all your help ladydeborah! :biggrin:
xx
ladydeborah

Yay ... I'm doing English Lang and communication too and I was reading the last couple of posts and I just wana syay thankyou for the very insightful information! I felt great about doing my course b4 ... but now I feel even better! Thank you both! xx (and hope to see u in Sept!)
Reply 26
^ That's cool you live in Jersey; I absolutely LOVE it there :biggrin:
city_chic
^ That's cool you live in Jersey; I absolutely LOVE it there :biggrin:

LOL! Really? Wow ... its been a long time since I heard that! lol

I love it here too, but only as my home (if ya get me). I've loved growing up in Jersey and am definitely gona come back here to raise a family of my own, but for people our age, you get 2 the point wen u NEED to get out and experience the 'real' world.

As you've been here, and sure ud understand lol. Cant wait 2 get to london :smile: x
Reply 28
Yeah I get what you mean. I've been on holiday there like 3 times and I just love it. I enjoyed Jersey far more than Spain last year lol. When the weather's good it's the perfect place to go to. I used to want to live there, but only native channel islanders can live there, unless you marry someone who grew up there. I want to go there again soon though :biggrin:

Latest