The Student Room Group

Thailand

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davidguettafan
Ah I see, yeah the sea looks so amazing doesn't it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed it does, I'm jelly of you possibly going there :biggrin:
poor tigers get abused at the tiger temple
Original post by SAhm95

What happens to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SAhm95

What happens to the Tigers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happens to the Tigers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

their teeth get removed, their paws gets clipped so they can't be aggressive and run fast. They're also chained to the ground. They get force fed, kicked and punched to the ground so tourists can lay on the tigers and take pics
Original post by SAhm95
their teeth get removed, their paws gets clipped so they can't be aggressive and run fast. They're also chained to the ground. They get force fed, kicked and punched to the ground so tourists can lay on the tigers and take pics

Oh that's horrible :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been in Thailand! We`ve just returned from Phuket. You know, it`s a gem! My friends and I stayed at an extremely comfortable villa there (booked it via http://phuket9.com , maybe, it will be useful for somebody too). Phuket is a beautiful beach town with a lot of things to do. Sometimes we were just chilling on the beach and watching the sunset, or partied all night at Patong with my friends or made a day trip to one of the islands - there were so many options.
Original post by jessback
I have been in Thailand! We`ve just returned from Phuket. You know, it`s a gem! My friends and I stayed at an extremely comfortable villa there (booked it via http://phuket9.com , maybe, it will be useful for somebody too). Phuket is a beautiful beach town with a lot of things to do. Sometimes we were just chilling on the beach and watching the sunset, or partied all night at Patong with my friends or made a day trip to one of the islands - there were so many options.

Thanks! What airline did you fly with to get from London to Thailand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I flew with Eva Air. Have a nice trip!
Reply 30
Anyone been to Thailand? What are the best areas to visit / areas to avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love Thailand. I love the street foods and the temples. The country is rich with their own culture. Just make sure you Google first where are you going because mostly the local find it hard to speak to foreigners.
Anyone been to Thailand? What are the best areas to visit / areas to avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what your looking for. Bangkok certainly has it all. Food culture, arts, nightlife, sights, museums, history, and of course the red light areas (no judgement from me in that regard, every city has red light areas, Bangkoks is just more famous than others) If red light is your thing stay the hell away from Patpong, its notorious these days for scams, pick pockets, drug dealers and rip off merchants.

Another city worth checking out is Chang Mai (im going there in November), not as touristy as Bangkok but still worthwhile. And it has a fantastic elephant preserve.

Original post by Eternalflames
I heard Koh Samui is really nice

It can be. But its also a total tourist trap for such a small place. There are similar islands that are cheaper, just as nice or better and more authentic.

Original post by thunder_chunky
Visit one of those places where the women do that trick with the ping pong balls.

Almost universally scams for ripping off unsuspecting tourists.

Original post by the bear
was going to go but thought Phuket

I see what you did there.

What happens to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically they are beaten and abused so that stupid tourists think that all a tiger wants to do is have a toddler sat on it for an oh so cute picture. I was told avoid the tiger temple (by a Bangkok tourist rep) due to the horrible treatment they go through (from a very young age)

In short OP Thailand is amazing. I love it, i have friends over there, yes it has its bad points like anywhere but its still an amazing time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I flew both times with Etihad. Got me there no problems, flghts were comfy, food was edible. Couldnt complain
well as a jewellery addict go near to chanthaburi as you can get stuff off the miners almost directly for a very low price over cost
Original post by jessback
I flew with Eva Air. Have a nice trip!

Thanks! What was eva air like? They seem to be the cheapest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamesthehustler
well as a jewellery addict go near to chanthaburi as you can get stuff off the miners almost directly for a very low price over cost

I heard there are lots of jewellery scams...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard there are lots of jewellery scams...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there are a lot of fakes but you can trust it much more in the mining areas as it common stuff there
I personally would advise against it. The Thais generally display a high level of deviance, unscrupulousness, greed and immaturity. A definite rip of culture; most officials/tradesmen try to rip farang off a treat. Mind you the westerners that end up there are ****ing shocking aswell. A much better alternative would be Kerala or Goa in SW India.
Original post by VibezCreepy
I personally would advise against it. The Thais generally display a high level of deviance, unscrupulousness, greed and immaturity. A definite rip of culture; most officials/tradesmen try to rip farang off a treat. Mind you the westerners that end up there are ****ing shocking aswell. A much better alternative would be Kerala or Goa in SW India.

What are Kerala and Goa like? And I personally wouldn't say I'm shocking lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are Kerala and Goa like? And I personally wouldn't say I'm shocking lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically mangrove tropical swampland best navigated by barge. Food is better than Thai and also the locals often have a better understanding of westerners having worked in the gulf/dubai very typically. No sex tourists or louts but Goa is of course well known for its party scene.

Quick Reply

Latest