The Student Room Group

Help with this natural log graph question

Screenshot_2016-02-21-13-13-41.jpg
Attachment not found

I need help with this question. I have also attached my version of how i did it but am not sure if this is correct.
Reply 1
Plot the log of the thickness against the log of th count rate. Then think about how this affects the equation of the curve given.
Original post by Jyashi
Screenshot_2016-02-21-13-13-41.jpg
Attachment not found

I need help with this question. I have also attached my version of how i did it but am not sure if this is correct.

It's asking you to solve it graphically so I'm not entirely sure why you've gone straight for substituting numbers in (if that's what you've done). My first recommendation would be to turn your exponential equation into y=mx+c form by taking logs of both sides.
Reply 3
Original post by Plagioclase
It's asking you to solve it graphically so I'm not entirely sure why you've gone straight for substituting numbers in (if that's what you've done). My first recommendation would be to turn your exponential equation into y=mx+c form by taking logs of both sides.

By this do you mean take the Log(Thickness) & Log(Counts / Min) or do you mean log(r)=R_0e^bx?
Original post by Jyashi
By this do you mean take the Log(Thickness) & Log(Counts / Min) or do you mean log(r)=R_0e^bx?

R=R0eβxR=R_0 e^{\beta x}
lnR=lnR0+βx\ln{R}=ln{R_0}+\beta x

Does this help?
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
R=R0eβxR=R_0 e^{\beta x}
lnR=lnR0+βx\ln{R}=ln{R_0}+\beta x

Does this help?

Yes it does. I managed to get to this as well and relate it to the y=mx + c equation. I got the m or beta out as -1.029x10^-3 does this seem about right?

Quick Reply

Latest