The Student Room Group

Approaching a titrations question

Currently going through past papers and I'm consistently getting stuck on titrations, especially concentrations and suitable indicators
Does anyone have foolproof step by step methods to approach a titration
I do ccea chemistry if it helps
Original post by aoifea100
Currently going through past papers and I'm consistently getting stuck on titrations, especially concentrations and suitable indicators
Does anyone have foolproof step by step methods to approach a titration
I do ccea chemistry if it helps

is this reffering on how to find the concentration of titrate?
Reply 2
image.png
Questions like this!
@Shiv is Light
image.png
Questions like this!
@Shiv is Light

I probably could but im too lazy, dont you have the mark scheme. You doing AS ISA?
Reply 4
Original post by Shiv is Light
I probably could but im too lazy, dont you have the mark scheme. You doing AS ISA?

I've looked at mark schemes yes, and I can follow the answers, but when it comes to doing another set of calculations I just go completely blank and don't know where to start
These sets of questions come up on ccea unit 1 all the time, and if you know how to do its a very easy 8 marks or so, but I just I can't get them started off
I've looked at mark schemes yes, and I can follow the answers, but when it comes to doing another set of calculations I just go completely blank and don't know where to start
These sets of questions come up on ccea unit 1 all the time, and if you know how to do its a very easy 8 marks or so, but I just I can't get them started off

Is it specifcally to do with moles? Do you understand molar ratios? It can be quite confusing tbh,. Look at the CGP revision guides. PM i struggled with moles too lol
Reply 6
Original post by Shiv is Light
Is it specifcally to do with moles? Do you understand molar ratios? It can be quite confusing tbh,. Look at the CGP revision guides. PM i struggled with moles too lol

I've tried to find step by step where I'm going wrong, and I think I miss steps along the way that affect the overall answer! I never fully understand n = cv at GCSE, I always forgot about the conversion from decimetres. I understand that part now, but I think my main issue is the amount of information given at the start of the question and I don't know which part is relevant to each step of the calculation.
I have the ccea student guides and they help but I'm still hitting the brick wall in between!
I've tried to find step by step where I'm going wrong, and I think I miss steps along the way that affect the overall answer! I never fully understand n = cv at GCSE, I always forgot about the conversion from decimetres. I understand that part now, but I think my main issue is the amount of information given at the start of the question and I don't know which part is relevant to each step of the calculation.
I have the ccea student guides and they help but I'm still hitting the brick wall in between!

Just remember the triangle formula No. of moles = Conc. / Volume. I say out loud "CNV" and write down the triangle helped me remember. What confuses you about the formula?
Usually you're given enough information to work out the number of moles of one reactant, in this case HCl, using moles=volume (in decimetres cubed)*concentration. For part 2, work out the number of moles of NaOH there were and hence the number of moles of HCl it reacted with (1:1 molar ratio). This is the number of unreacted moles of HCl. Part 3 requires you to take the number of unreacted moles away from the number of moles you startedwith(and found in part 1). Half the value you got in part 3 to find the number of moles of MgO (2:1 molar ratio). For the last part use moles=mass/RAM (relative atomic mass) and so multiply the number of moles of MgOby its RAM. Voila! Just do them over and over again, I swear they do startto make sense after a while :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest