The Student Room Group

Crashing Highers Or Re-sitting National 5s?

I have recently become very interested in studying Child Nursing, and most of the Universities I have researched have entry requirements including National 5 Maths or some kind of science subject above C. In fourth year, I got a C in Physics and a D in Maths (Nat 5) and I'm considering doing both Higher Maths and Higher Biology in sixth year (I haven't done biology since second year) and I have no idea what to expect when it comes to either. Would you recommend re-sitting Nat 5 Maths and doing Nat 5 Biology instead - or should I skip straight to Higher? Would it be too difficult? (P.s. I am terrible at any maths/science related subjects - but I am willing to put in effort)
Original post by laurynjreid
I have recently become very interested in studying Child Nursing, and most of the Universities I have researched have entry requirements including National 5 Maths or some kind of science subject above C. In fourth year, I got a C in Physics and a D in Maths (Nat 5) and I'm considering doing both Higher Maths and Higher Biology in sixth year (I haven't done biology since second year) and I have no idea what to expect when it comes to either. Would you recommend re-sitting Nat 5 Maths and doing Nat 5 Biology instead - or should I skip straight to Higher? Would it be too difficult? (P.s. I am terrible at any maths/science related subjects - but I am willing to put in effort)

Having done Nat 5 Maths and Bio AND Higher Maths and Bio I would say this.

The Nat 5 course is obviously easier, but if you haven't been able to get an A/B in Nat 5 maths it will be very difficult for you to pass higher maths. I did the new cfe higher maths that last year when the SQA gave us the hardest exam paper of all time and it ****ed me up.

I however didn't do the cfe higher biology, I did the old higher biology. It was hard but I got an A. But the problem I the new one that you will be doing is even harder. Nat 5 biology is very easy imo.

What year are you in btw?
Reply 2
Yeah I definitely was worried about the difficulty. I'm currently in fifth year, going into sixth year in the summer. I very much regret not picking maths or bio at the start of this year because now I'm kind of trapped since I'm going into my last year.

I think the main reason I'm considering it now is because I have this idea that if I constantly revise my notes and maybe get a tutor I would have a better chance, and that's all good and well but I know I'll probably end up slacking at some point due to pressure. The main reason I've done bad in sciences or maths before is because I literally gave up on trying, and I just don't know whether I'll end up like that again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending