The Student Room Group

Do you need to bleed coolant after replacing car expansion tank ?

Hey

I replaced my coolant tank on my Focus as old tank was leaking.

I put on a brand new replacement tank but notice every few days the level of water seems to fall slightly.
Checked for leaks and could find none, besides I replaced several hoses a few months ago.

There seems to be no signs of HG failure either.

I just wondered, should I bleed the coolant as I only noticed it dropping since replacing the tank. How do I bleed it, do I just remove radiator cap and turn heat on full for several minutes ?

The hose that goes to the radiator tank, looks like bubbles flowing via it to coolant tank, I'm guessing it's air
Reply 1
Original post by I love life

I just wondered, should I bleed the coolant as I only noticed it dropping since replacing the tank. How do I bleed it, do I just remove radiator cap and turn heat on full for several minutes ?

Basically, yes.

If you continue to have issues I would makes sure that you have the correct cap for your engine as a different cap may be rated for a different pressure. If you are still losing coolant, take it someone to get checked.
Reply 2
Original post by Talon
Basically, yes.

If you continue to have issues I would makes sure that you have the correct cap for your engine as a different cap may be rated for a different pressure. If you are still losing coolant, take it someone to get checked.

Cap is correct and brand new.

Also , water runs through overflow pipe into coolant tank
Reply 3
Depends on the car. Some are self bleeding some are not.
A qualified mechanic would know what to do, but you will keep taking this knackered car to cowboys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending