The Student Room Group

Work Experience Forms?

Hi,
In the coming months I will be doing some work experience and I was wondering if there are any forms I need to take for the vet to sign for when I apply to uni.
Thanks
Original post by sophielophie
Hi,
In the coming months I will be doing some work experience and I was wondering if there are any forms I need to take for the vet to sign for when I apply to uni.
Thanks

When you go, ask them at the end of your work experience placement if they can write you a reference, and make sure you get one before you leave. Most of the unis require a reference from work experience placements whether they are paper copies or emails

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophielophie
Hi,
Thanks

Yes, some unis will ask for references.
Ask your placement (more specifically the person who you've worked with most) to write you a reference; there doesn't need to be a set form or format. At the minimum it should state what dates you attended but even better if they can write about you in general. let them know a few days before your placement finished so they can give you something on your last day. If they don't then leave a self adresssed envelope with a stamp on so they can fill it out soon - if you don't hear in a few weeks then go back or call to ask them to write you one (if you leave it too long they may forget you)/.

Hope that helps
This is the WEX form I used to use instead of a written reference (my college gave it to me). I used it because I once asked for a written reference from a lambing placement 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the post :biggrin:
Some tips:
If you're doing a 5 day placement Monday-Friday, ask for the reference on the Wednesday (for example). This way they've had long enough to get to know you but you can still pick it up before you leave
If you can't ask on the Wednesday, forget or have to finish the placement before the end of the week, give them a self addressed and stamped envelope so they can post it to you
If you're still waiting for the reference, just drop an email or give them a ring to remind them- in most cases they've probably just forgot to send it
I found a form like the one I used was more useful because it's much quicker to fill in- vets/farmers etc. Are busy people and appreciate anything that will save them time. As you can see, it tells the date I was there, my general performance and was signed by whoever was in charge. Unis typically want references just to prove that you've done the placement so will accept this as well as a long lamenting essay written about how awesome you are & how you saved a lamb's life when it was trapped in it's amniotic sac etc.
you don't need a reference from every placement you've done- most unis just want proof that you've done the minimum amount of WEX that they require. So if you didn't like a placement or they're being funny about giving you a reference, you can leave it (although this depends on where you apply as I know Liverpool like to have a reference from each type of placement, but I'm not sure of the details)
Original post by Louiseee_
This is the WEX form I used to use instead of a written reference (my college gave it to me). I used it because I once asked for a written reference from a lambing placement 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the post :biggrin:
Some tips:
If you're doing a 5 day placement Monday-Friday, ask for the reference on the Wednesday (for example). This way they've had long enough to get to know you but you can still pick it up before you leave
If you can't ask on the Wednesday, forget or have to finish the placement before the end of the week, give them a self addressed and stamped envelope so they can post it to you
If you're still waiting for the reference, just drop an email or give them a ring to remind them- in most cases they've probably just forgot to send it
I found a form like the one I used was more useful because it's much quicker to fill in- vets/farmers etc. Are busy people and appreciate anything that will save them time. As you can see, it tells the date I was there, my general performance and was signed by whoever was in charge. Unis typically want references just to prove that you've done the placement so will accept this as well as a long lamenting essay written about how awesome you are & how you saved a lamb's life when it was trapped in it's amniotic sac etc.
you don't need a reference from every placement you've done- most unis just want proof that you've done the minimum amount of WEX that they require. So if you didn't like a placement or they're being funny about giving you a reference, you can leave it (although this depends on where you apply as I know Liverpool like to have a reference from each type of placement, but I'm not sure of the details)

It is a really good idea.
The others have covered everything, but to follow up from Louiseee_'s last statement, Liverpool ask for a reference each from a SA practice, LA practice, cat/dog husbandry placement, farm placement and equine husbandry placement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending