The Student Room Group

Charles University First Faculty Sept 2016

Hey All

Lots of random threads about studying medicine in europe but wanted to start one for those who might be planning on applying to study in Charles First Faculyy in Prague this September. I have my exam for Charles on 23rd April (after Masaryk and Palacky earlier in the month). Anyone else exploring this or taken the exam already?

Feels see to share your thoughts, worries, experiences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I have applied to the First Faculty in Prague to study from September. I'm taking my exam in Prague itself on either the 10th or 24th June. Also can you please tell me the main differences between the First and Second faculty please?
Reply 2
Hey buddy, I've been looking around for info. on student experience in Czech Republican schools and I've come across quite a few of your posts on several thread and found them rather informative, so first and foremost, thank you!

I'm a graduate of Biomedical Science and frankly I didn't do very well due to personal circumstances in my final year and ended up with a third. So following some heartbreak and low self-esteem, I decided to pick myself up and pursue a a medical degree but at the same time I didn't want to 'fail' anymore and thus, I decided to settle on just applying somewhere that doesn't require entrance exams and relatively cheap to get into *cough* Plovdiv *cough*. After much thought and research I decided in the long term, relocation back to UK looking for a job, this won't work much in my favour as opposed to studying elsewhere more recognised. I'm a little late the game looking into the Czech schools. I saw the article on medicaldoorway which was very promising. The reputation of Charles and Masaryk looks very good, I'm not sure so much about Palacky. I was wondering if you had any information on that university and how reputable it's course is?

Also, are you a graduate yourself? If so, have you looked into 4 year course in Poland. I am currently looking into the universities there and have read some mixed reviews about it's reputation and trying to figure out if they are as good options as Czech schools. With the schools in Poland offering 4 year courses, that's a BIG pro if I consider financial aspects. Warsaw, Jagiellonian, Poznan, Lodz & Bialystok seem to be quite popular. Please kindly let me know, if you know anything about those unis too?? Thankss!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sbaq1
Hey buddy, I've been looking around for info. on student experience in Czech Republican schools and I've come across quite a few of your posts on several thread and found them rather informative, so first and foremost, thank you!

I'm a graduate of Biomedical Science and frankly I didn't do very well due to personal circumstances in my final year and ended up with a third. So following some heartbreak and low self-esteem, I decided to pick myself up and pursue a a medical degree but at the same time I didn't want to 'fail' anymore and thus, I decided to settle on just applying somewhere that doesn't require entrance exams and relatively cheap to get into *cough* Plovdiv *cough*. After much thought and research I decided in the long term, relocation back to UK looking for a job, this won't work much in my favour as opposed to studying elsewhere more recognised. I'm a little late the game looking into the Czech schools. I saw the article on medicaldoorway which was very promising. The reputation of Charles and Masaryk looks very good, I'm not sure so much about Palacky. I was wondering if you had any information on that university and how reputable it's course is?

Also, are you a graduate yourself? If so, have you looked into 4 year course in Poland. I am currently looking into the universities there and have read some mixed reviews about it's reputation and trying to figure out if they are as good options as Czech schools. With the schools in Poland offering 4 year courses, that's a BIG pro if I consider financial aspects. Warsaw, Jagiellonian, Poznan, Lodz & Bialystok seem to be quite popular. Please kindly let me know, if you know anything about those unis too?? Thankss!

I am in my last year of A-levels so really didn't loo at the polish options. I did look quite broadly and ended up with Czech as my first choice (any of the three Charles 1st, Masaryk and Palacky), then Riga and lastly Pleven.

From what i know the three Czech university are all well regarded in the UK.
Reply 4
Hi Cooliomed - how did Charles 1st faculty entrance exam go yesterday? Was it easy or tough!
Reply 5
Original post by Hadigy
Hi Cooliomed - how did Charles 1st faculty entrance exam go yesterday? Was it easy or tough!

Was the toughest of the three and didn't make it but I already have offers for Masaryk and Palacky so i am now in the process of deciding which on. Kind of would have been easier if i only had one offer though but delighted to have two!
Reply 6
Original post by Cooliomed
Was the toughest of the three and didn't make it but I already have offers for Masaryk and Palacky so i am now in the process of deciding which on. Kind of would have been easier if i only had one offer though but delighted to have two!

Hey Cooliomed, congrats on the two offers! Can I ask what percentage you got in with?

I'm sitting the exam in july for the 3 Czech schools. How did you go about covering the content for exam outside of the question bank they give you? I have some time to prep and I don't know whether to just dive into the questions or revise the subjects first and then try the questions - I have such a bad habit of trying to cover everything methodically! :/

Also what was the interview component like?
Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sbaq1
Hey Cooliomed, congrats on the two offers! Can I ask what percentage you got in with?

I've signed up with Medical Doorway and I'm sitting the exam in july for the 3 Czech schools. How did you go about covering the content for exam outside of the question bank they give you? I have some time to prep and I don't know whether to just dive into the questions or revise the subjects first and then try the questions - I have such a bad habit of trying to cover everything methodically! :/

Also what was the interview component like?
Thanks.

Hello! I sat all 3 Czech school exams and luckily got all offers :wink:
Basically you only need to sign up on medical doorway and discuss with Ben, he will tell you what to do.. He's helpful
As regards to how hard it is to get the offers, I'd say palacky<Masaryk<<<Charles 1st, essentially those 'sample papers' you'll find on Charles official website are no where near the difficulty of the real exam.. So good luck with that.. Apparantly they changed the exam system so nobody knows what could come up in the July (and April of course) test but I'm sure plenty of sleep would help
Interview, formal for Charles, informal for the other two.. Less questions were asked than uk medical interviews, and they aren't pricks quite frankly.. As long as you bring your message across clearly you'll be fine
Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by maczechgirlz
Hello! I sat all 3 Czech school exams and luckily got all offers :wink:

As regards to how hard it is to get the offers, I'd say palacky<Masaryk<<<Charles 1st, essentially those 'sample papers' you'll find on Charles official website are no where near the difficulty of the real exam.. So good luck with that.. Apparantly they changed the exam system so nobody knows what could come up in the July (and April of course) test but I'm sure plenty of sleep would help
Interview, formal for Charles, informal for the other two.. Less questions were asked than uk medical interviews, and they aren't pricks quite frankly.. As long as you bring your message across clearly you'll be fine
Good luck

Hi, congratulations on getting all offers!

I'm giving my exam in a few days and I'm a bit worried about the questions as you said. Just how difficult would you say the bio/chem questions are? I've done both at HL in the IB, so maybe in comparison? Any tips or pointers you could give me would be unbelievably helpful right now, please.

On the Charles website, there are like 7 questions for each subject, haha, how the heck is anyone supposed to prepare, then.

Also, there is absolutely no guidance for maths, so how did you prepare for that, unless you took physics?

Thanks so much, I'm getting increasingly worried due to the lack of guidance and would truly appreciate any assistance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TW5897

I'm giving my exam in a few days and I'm a bit worried about the questions as you said. Just how difficult would you say the bio/chem questions are? I've done both at HL in the IB, so maybe in comparison? Any tips or pointers you could give me would be unbelievably helpful right now, please.

On the Charles website, there are like 7 questions for each subject, haha, how the heck is anyone supposed to prepare, then.

Also, there is absolutely no guidance for maths, so how did you prepare for that, unless you took physics?

Thanks so much, I'm getting increasingly worried due to the lack of guidance and would truly appreciate any assistance.

Chillout man. BTW i suggest maths over physics, since most found the maths section to be very hard indeed. Or you could try some of the maths section and if it is too hard then do the physics. Organic chemistry involves knowing acids, bases, mechanisms, amino acids... The exams are largely unpredictable because they are changing the system this year, so just skim read over the main topics of your high school and the 1st faculty syllabus and you should be set. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Hadigy
Chillout man. BTW i suggest maths over physics, since most found the maths section to be very hard indeed. Or you could try some of the maths section and if it is too hard then do the physics. Organic chemistry involves knowing acids, bases, mechanisms, amino acids... The exams are largely unpredictable because they are changing the system this year, so just skim read over the main topics of your high school and the 1st faculty syllabus and you should be set. :smile:

I think you mean, physics over maths?
The thing is I haven't taken physics in the IB, so I haven't done any physics for over 3 years.
Oh, I didn't know you could try the maths section and if it's too tough, do the physics instead and vice-versa. That's good to know!

How would you compare the difficulty of the bio/chem sections to A levels/IB or whatever equivalent you did?

Sorry, but one last thing. Is the list of topics on the website any good? It doesn't seem very helpful, since there's no indication as to the level of detail on each of the topics.

Thank you so much, man.
Yeah, physics over maths lol.

I did A levels and i have to say chemistry is slightly similar. But i reckon you should use the syllabus they publish and cross off the topics with your high school books and google search. I hate how they make it so vague!

Things to revise over are blood types, amino acids, human anatomy, meiosis/ mitosis, bacteria/ virus/ animal/ plant cell structures and functions...

And make sure to bring a calculator since they don't give you one, neither will they give you a periodic table but i don't think the questions require you to know the atomic mass, proton numbers off by heart.

Good Luck!
Original post by TW5897

Hi I reckoned that you asked a similar question on the other post, please refer to that post :smile:
Original post by Hadigy

I did A levels and i have to say chemistry is slightly similar. But i reckon you should use the syllabus they publish and cross off the topics with your high school books and google search. I hate how they make it so vague!

Things to revise over are blood types, amino acids, human anatomy, meiosis/ mitosis, bacteria/ virus/ animal/ plant cell structures and functions...

And make sure to bring a calculator since they don't give you one, neither will they give you a periodic table but i don't think the questions require you to know the atomic mass, proton numbers off by heart.

Good Luck!

When you mentioned maths over physics I go like @_@
Original post by maczechgirlz
When you mentioned maths over physics I go like @_@

Have you sorted accommodation and stuff?
Reply 15
Original post by Hadigy

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot!
Are you sure calculators are allowed?
On the website it's mentioned that calculators and periodic tables are not allowed.
Original post by TW5897
Thanks a lot!
On the website it's mentioned that calculators and periodic tables are not allowed.

I did my exam through an agency which allowed the use of calculators and periodic tables. I think you should bring them just in case.
Original post by Hadigy
Have you sorted accommodation and stuff?

that quick ?? Have you? I literally am planning to start finding info in mid August
Original post by TW5897
Thanks a lot!

I think it probably depends on who's the examiner
Obviously i need to finish a levels first, but i have just looked into student dorms. Btw the dorms aren't close to the uni, about 45 minutes away, so will probably get a flat or something. Renting out is pretty cheap, i think like 300 pounds a month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending