The Student Room Group

Need help from someone studying Adult Nursing at Bournemouth University.

Hello!
I've applied to Bournemouth university to do Adult Nursing in 2016. This uni is my first choice, and I'd love to go there but need some help..
So on the BU website it says that students who study a Health and Social Science will spend most of their time in placement (I already knew this) but what I need to know is, do you have any choice over what Placement you are at? And also, do you stay at the same placement for the whole year, or if not, how many times do you change in the year?
I wanted to know, as I don't particularly want to live away from BU in accommodation such as the West Dorset County Hospital Placement accommodation. As Bournemouth is my first choice, and not West Dorset! It says I would be 45 minutes away from the Lansdowne campus is this was the case.
Hope someone can help, sorry if my question sound stupid!
I don't know about that programme specifically but as I understand it for Nursing which I've applied for you don't get a choice on placement and they're done in blocks (X weeks). You're assigned to one trust I think and then placements are allocated within that. You get a choice on whether you take hospital or uni accommodation but due to shift patterns etc they recommend you take hospital, but that's your choice. If you're happy to travel late at night etc then it should be OK.

For all other Health courses I think you can only have BU accommodation because placements aren't going to be done on 24hour shift rotations.
Reply 2
Original post by deelicious
I don't know about that programme specifically but as I understand it for Nursing which I've applied for you don't get a choice on placement and they're done in blocks (X weeks). You're assigned to one trust I think and then placements are allocated within that. You get a choice on whether you take hospital or uni accommodation but due to shift patterns etc they recommend you take hospital, but that's your choice. If you're happy to travel late at night etc then it should be OK.

For all other Health courses I think you can only have BU accommodation because placements aren't going to be done on 24hour shift rotations.

Thankyou so much for your help. When you say 'assigned to one trust' what do you mean?
Original post by ellasi
Thankyou so much for your help. When you say 'assigned to one trust' what do you mean?

Hello Ellasi,

I'm sure this is a bit late now, how did you get on? Did you get in at BU?
I've got unconditional but, I've been placed in West Dorset. I have to drive into uni but they said they will help with the cost of travelling. I will be there for three years. They said that I can't move as all other placement areas are full. I feel like i'm the only one going there as not seen anyone else. There is only hospital accommodation, if you don't get in there then you have to go to the local estate agents and look.

It's annoying being away from the uni and freshers will be awkward with travel, but it is what it is. Hopefully if you got in, you have a better placement?
Kellie :smile:
does anyone know where students for feb'2017 intake are to look for accommodation? im studying adult nursing too but halls are full. x
Original post by Brenchley101
does anyone know where students for feb'2017 intake are to look for accommodation? im studying adult nursing too but halls are full. x

Hi Brenchley101

Have you checked out this webpage for Health & Social Science students? It's got some helpful advice about your accommodation options.

We'll also be emailing all the February starters later this year with details about how to book accommodation and we would have held back accommodation for those starting later than September. So please don't worry!

Best wishes

Sarah
hi anyone/everyone....

im starting nursing at BU in feb but have no accommodation, im not keen on starting at hospital accommadation in my first year so looking for other students to house share maybe till we find our feet?

Im a 25 year old female :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending