The Student Room Group

Shouldn't I be allowed to use the N word

Scroll to see replies

Sure, say it and get punched in the face. Happy days, right?
Original post by coolboy101101
I don't think its offensive anymore tho

I think you need to test that claim. Find several really hard looking black men and address them using the N word.

It's level of offensives is inversely proportional to your injuries.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought it was fuuny lol
but I guess it could relate to football since some people have got the red card for saying the N word, I don't think its offensive anymore tho

The ‘N word’ is unique in the English language. On one hand, it can be the ultimate insult- a word that has tormented generations of African Americans. Yet over time, it has become a popular term of endearment by the descendants of the very people who once had to endure it. Among many of us people today—black and white—the n-word can mean friend.

So I guess it would only come across offensive depending on the context it is used in.

Spoiler

Original post by Quantex
I think you need to test that claim. Find several really hard looking black men and address them using the N word.

It's level of offensives is inversely proportional to your injuries.

This had me creasing, if a white person started calling me and my group of mates the N word, the persons jaw would be at the back of their head!
Reply 24
I have it on good authority that black people are secretly delighted when white people say the N-word.

Seriously, next time you see a group of black guys (at least four of them), go up to them and call every single one of them an N-word. I guarantee they'll think you're hilarious and will respect you more as a white guy. :smile:
many of my favourite music artists are rappers, such as dr dre, the wu tang clan, a tribe called quest, etc - I swear, if I'm humming/singing along to one of these artists' songs I am *bound* to accidentally say the n word as if it's nothing because I have heard it without an offensive context a *billion* times. I understand from the perspective of a black person who dislikes rap music, but other than this, I don't understand, from the context of rap music, how the n word is offensive at all. yeah, I'm white, but I love "black music" if you can call it as such. why would I be trying to offend somebody if I'm singing along to the words of a song that was made by a black guy?
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
The ‘N word’ is unique in the English language.

Its used in Spanish... although its not offensive in Spanish (it just means the colour black)
Original post by ivy.98
lmao many of my black friends asked me to say the word just for the bants :toofunny:
That doesn't matter. A group of black people doesn't represent every other black person's opinions
Yeah I wouldn't use the N word either.

If the N word is Newcastle United that is, because I thought we were talking about football
Original post by sleepysnooze
many of my favourite music artists are rappers, such as dr dre, the wu tang clan, a tribe called quest, etc - I swear, if I'm humming/singing along to one of these artists' songs I am *bound* to accidentally say the n word as if it's nothing because I have heard it without an offensive context a *billion* times. I understand from the perspective of a black person who dislikes rap music, but other than this, I don't understand, from the context of rap music, how the n word is offensive at all. yeah, I'm white, but I love "black music" if you can call it as such. why would I be trying to offend somebody if I'm singing along to the words of a song that was made by a black guy?
When a white person uses the word it enforces the initial racism behind the word; black people have been able to make something positive out of the word. Regardless of context, no white person should be saying it.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its used in Spanish... although its not offensive in Spanish (it just means the colour black)

I am aware of the spanish word for black:smile:
i'm white btw, i feel like its ok to use the word nowadays tho

Using the N word!! Pranks in the hood (GONE WRONG) (GONE SEXUAL) - 2016

Views: 420,000,000,000 Subscribers: 69,000,000 Net worth: £100000000000000

Dammm you should become a youtuber or something!

Next day gets exposed by GradeAunderA
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
I thought it was fuuny lol
but I guess it could relate to football since some people have got the red card for saying the N word, I don't think its offensive anymore tho

You don't get to decide whether it's an offensive word or not. It dehumanises black people, not any other race. It will offend people, end of. I don't get why you would want to be allowed to say it, knowing the negative connotations it has coming from a non-black person. And if you don't you should learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goldenshades
When a white person uses the word it enforces the initial racism behind the word; black people have been able to make something positive out of the word. Regardless of context, no white person should be saying it.

to be honest, some black people won't like the fact that I sometimes say it (or rather "mutter it" )when I'm singing along to a rap song, but I know that genuinely the more open minded black persons will understand that I'm not uttering the word to insult anybody, or else the rapper in the song would have to be trying to insult people as well. it's easy to gloss over that word as racist but honestly that would be to ignore its cultural usage as a word that essentially just means "person", or "fellow black guy" - if I were to use it in the context of a rap, I wouldn't be saying a lyric like "shame on a *n* who try to run game on a *n*" as if I was saying "I'm a member of the KKK - I hate black people". it's a difficult and awkward situation without any context but with the ontext right there for anybody to understand, I wouldn't call it racist. for example, the rap lyric I just gave you was actually covered by one of the rappers who made the song and system of a down. you'd think that if that rapper (robert diggs), a black person, thought that this word was racist, then serj tankian (system of a down) wouldn't have been allowed to use it - but he did use it. they both said it in the song. no conflict occurred whatsoever.

that's an example of how context means a lot, and simply labelling all white people who use it in a rap song "racist" is almost racist itself because it is exclusionary to a race when it isn't something offensive in a certain context. if a white person can't say "*****" in a rap song, it's basically like saying "white people shouldn't listen to rap" which is stupid. the n word is a rap slang word! but it's difficult to take me seriously because you don't understand how much I genuinely love rap - I find it a very talented and compelling genre that people very unfairly reject as "untalented" (my parents, for instance). also, I'd just like to say that your approach almost seems to be stigmatising that word further - surely you know that there's a difference between the n word with an "a" and the n word with an "er"? it almost sounds like you're saying "black people and white people should live by different rules and standards"
(edited 8 years ago)
its ok to use the word nowadays tho

You're right, 'nowadays' is an ok word to use, don't see the problem here :dontknow:
honestly hoping OP says it and gets his ass kicked
Of course not because apparently racial slurs are worse than any other kind of slur for some reason.
Reply 38
Original post by Alexion
You're right, 'nowadays' is an ok word to use, don't see the problem here :dontknow:

Dunno who lied to you guys, it's really not. It is still a racial slur

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VokeA
Dunno who lied to you guys, it's really not. It is still a racial slur

'nowadays'?

It's been in the English Dictionary for centuries, don't understand what you're trying to say :cute:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest