The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your grades are certainly very good.

The thing I'd advise is not doing things just to make yourself look "good". You need a passion for history, and this needs to come cross the most on your personal statement and also in your interview. So, don't do lots of little things, to say "I've done XYZ", try and build up your passion for the subject.

Good luck - and don't forget there are plenty of other good History courses apart from Oxford's :smile:
Reply 2
Read history books.

In Defence of History by Richard J. Evans, also go to a uni site and look up other books for the first year module. General historiography books are a good idea as well as ones that show the history you like.

Also, to get an idea of what a good statement should include, read these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=199348 they're for PPE but it gives you an idea.
Reply 3
Read lots, and not just what people tell you to, but what you want to because you're passionate about it. Once exams are over, start drafting your PS. Don't just try to do things or read books because you think they'll make you look good. Also, make sure that you look really carefully (just as carefully as you have at Oxford's course) at the modules and course structures of other universities that you're considering.
Reply 4
Don't worry so much. I've not read very many history books & my fondness for history is rivalled quite easily by the fondness I have for the other subjects I study. Of course you have to like the subject you're applying for and be committed to studying it for the next three years but I find talk of "passion" a little over-the-top.
Reply 5
Thank you so much! Yeah I have got a few books, I do like Richard J. Evans, I'm reading his Third Reich In Power atm - it's kind of hard to get through though but interesting stuff so I'm keeping going! Yeah, I just got a bit worried as I haven't applied to summer schools/entered essay competitions etc - maybe more of an issue with universities where you're not interviewed though (where obviously 4 out of my 5 choices are!) But thank you for all the help.
Reply 6
I didn't do any summer schools, essay competitions, had hardly read any books at all if that makes you feel any better.
Reply 7
:ditto:, other than books that I read anyway out of interest.
Reply 8
Thanks for the rep :smile:
Reply 9
I'm not too sure about Oxford, but the Cambridge History faculty has a bunch reading lists on their website directly related to the papers you take there (here). I found it really useful to have a list of books which are truly academic history books rather than the stuff that is read at A level or is found in most bookshops. Even if Oxford doesn't have something similar it may be helpful to read a few books from that list in the areas which you are particularly interested in or have studied at A level. It really helps if you can demonstrate that you've taken your interest in a certain period beyond the restraints of the A level syllabus (by reading more in depth historical analysis, for example, or by reading about the period immediately prior to the area you've studied in order to understand the reasons for why certain situations occurred).
Certainly lots of good advice given here-I would tend to go more down the path of preparing your personal statement and interview to show an enthusiasm for and a commitment to History. Obviously if you know about the course you want to do then that'll work to your advantage so I've found that it's always worthbuilding up a correspondence by e-mail with the admissions guys/course tutors, maybe get them to mail you out sample reading lists,etc...

Don't worry too much though-at the risk of being cliched- you come to university to learn this stuff, not to already know it.
Reply 11
First of all, can I just state that I don't doubt you're motivation/genuine passion for history at all. However, as a general bit of advice I would say that, as is the case for any subject, you can't really "fake" an interest in history.

For example, I considered subscribing to the BBC History magazine once, but on closer inspection it didn't really contain articles I was that interested in and in the end I still got an offer from Cambridge. Also, my work experience is totally unrelated to history. "Ticking boxes" is no substitute for a genuine desire to learn about your subject as unless you're tremendously shy, it's going to be easy for the interviewers to see.

One thing you must do, which no one would argue with is, READ. I'm not talking about half a library here (I certainly didn't read that much!). Just have a handful of books which you have enjoyed and feel comfortable to talk about in depth. If you want to follow up on a particular topic, do so. Don't feel you have to read something like British Economic History 1100-1950 or something; it's far better to stick to what you enjoy (for now!).

Finally, I'd recommend reading, or at least dipping into, some readers on the practice and philosophy of history itself, just to familiar yourself with the historiographical landscape. Again, not a whole library, but enough to give yourself a flavour. I'd recommend this, this, and this. You could read them in that order, as Arnold's VSI will give you a general framework which would make it easier to keep track in Evans' (not that he's impenetrable or anything).
Reply 12
I was told at an open day that your opening sentence on your PS needs to grab the tutors' attention, therefore, (although I'm not suggesting you would do this!) don't necessarily go down the route of "from a young age etc etc" try and make it something quirky.

I started doing my PS after my AS exams, I had to do about 5/6 drafts in the end & looking back my first one was shocking! Get as much advice from your history teacher as poss, as they know what sounds good & even ask an Enlgish teacher maybe to check grammar stuff.

Oooh and another thing I did was go through loads of prospectuses, and in the history sections there are always "motivational quotes" about how great history is...try & alter them so you can use them in your opening paragraph!

Oh I've gone on a bit here but I hope this helps!!

x x x
Reply 13
Thank you so much, guys. Well I definitely have a passion for history, it's just I was worried whether this would come across on the PS because in the interview it'll be easier to show it. Thank you all!
Reply 14
helenavfc
I was told at an open day that your opening sentence on your PS needs to grab the tutors' attention, therefore, (although I'm suggesting you would do this!) don't necessarily go down the route of "from a young age etc etc" try and make it something quirky.

I started doing my PS after my AS exams, I had to do about 5/6 drafts in the end & looking back my first one was shocking! Get as much advice from your history teacher as poss, as they know what sounds good & even ask an Enlgish teacher maybe to check grammar stuff.

Oooh and another thing I did was go through loads of prospectuses, and in the history sections there are always "motivational quotes" about how great history is...try & alter them so you can use them in your opening paragraph!

Oh I've gone on a bit here but I hope this helps!!

x x x

I'd be wary about doing this, many students probably cannibalise the material in the prospectus and you run the risk of coming across as someone who has not put much effort into their PS. Remember, these are fairly clever people who read hundreds of statements, if some are too similar to be a coincidence they're probably going to work out why - especially when they probably played some part in drawing up the history prospectus. I did it slightly differently, i picked out the general themes of the 'motivational quotes' (high motivation, independent learning, study beyond the depths of A level syllabus etc) and then thought of examples of how i'd done that and worked it into my personal statement. So although you follow the same general theme of what they're looking for, you've tailored it to your own experience and therefore made it individual.
Reply 15
I'd be wary about doing this, many students probably cannibalise the material in the prospectus and you run the risk of coming across as someone who has not put much effort into their PS. Remember, these are fairly clever people who read hundreds of statements, if some are too similar to be a coincidence they're probably going to work out why - especially when they probably played some part in drawing up the history prospectus. I did it slightly differently, i picked out the general themes of the 'motivational quotes' (high motivation, independent learning, study beyond the depths of A level syllabus etc) and then thought of examples of how i'd done that and worked it into my personal statement. So although you follow the same general theme of what they're looking for, you've tailored it to your own experience and therefore made it individual.

Yeah I see what you're getting at, and I don't mean you should copy from the prospectuses cus that would be really obvious! What I meant was that you can take 'inspiration' from the kind of things that are written about history in the sections!

:smile:

x x x
Looking at your grades and what you've been saying you really shouldn't haev any issues with getting in so just be careful about overdoing it...reading some of the statements on the wiki here and some of them are just so hideously over the top you pity the admissions guys.

In essence-don't lie (too much), certainly go to every effort to relate yourself and your skills to the course as specifically as possible but keep it truthful-otherwise you'll cause yourself all sorts of stress if called for interview and adversely affect your performance
Reply 17
Goldfish296
Looking at your grades and what you've been saying you really shouldn't haev any issues with getting in so just be careful about overdoing it...reading some of the statements on the wiki here and some of them are just so hideously over the top you pity the admissions guys.

Sorry, but thats wrong. Oxbridge applications are VERY competitive, nearly everyone applies with near perfect GCSEs and A Levels and yet only 25% are given offers. Therefore three quarters of the people who applied - people who are among the top 5% in the country - are rejected, so he certainly isn't in just because hes got the grades. Oxbridge applications should be treated like a lottery, don't expect to win because theres only a small chance, but give it your best shot anyway.
Reply 18
:ditto: - I have good grades (8 A*, 2 A, 4 As at AS) and I was rejected before interview. I know that my PS and reference were good, so I must have screwed up on the HAT (although I was ill on the day, which probably didn't help). At the end of the day, just put forward the best application you can and hope that it all goes well for you.
*River
:ditto: - I have good grades (8 A*, 2 A, 4 As at AS) and I was rejected before interview. I know that my PS and reference were good, so I must have screwed up on the HAT (although I was ill on the day, which probably didn't help). At the end of the day, just put forward the best application you can and hope that it all goes well for you.

Exactly, from what i have read and seen through the experiences of various year 13 friends, the system seems to be something of a lottery- ever year hundreds of amazing applicants must get rejected. At the end of the day, they only have so many places and have to make a decision, so inevitably some really good applicants aren't going to get in, and sometimes the admissions people are going to let great people slip through the net so to speak. As far as i can see, there are no certainties with the system and all you can do is make your app as good as poss and see what happens from there.... that's my plan anyway :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending