The Student Room Group

Declining offers and applying to Uni of Manc through UCAS Extra, opinions?

HiI've got an unconditional (because I finished sixth form college in 2015 so already have the grades) from the University of Leeds and University of Nottingham to study Bsc Management. I applied to the University of Manchester but got denied (received notification of this about a month ago) because they said they don't accept the AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting as an equlavent to an A-level for the Bsc Management course (however they do for the Bsc Accounting course).

I applied to Uni of Manchester last year for 2015 entry and they then accepted the AAT Level 3 for Bsc Management hence why I applied again this year assuming they'd accept it. I'm distraught because the University of Manchester would most definitely be my first choice as I love the city, the university and the course modules. I'm considering declining my current offers so I can then apply again to the Uni of Manchester through UCAS Extra.

Is it possible the Uni will change its mind and lower the entry requirements closer to results day as they try and fill up their places?

Advice please? I really want to go to Uni of Manchester and not really too keen on going Leeds or Nottingham even though they're great universities.
Original post by JMG-Manchester
HiI've got an unconditional (because I finished sixth form college in 2015 so already have the grades) from the University of Leeds and University of Nottingham to study Bsc Management. I applied to the University of Manchester but got denied (received notification of this about a month ago) because they said they don't accept the AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting as an equlavent to an A-level for the Bsc Management course (however they do for the Bsc Accounting course).

I applied to Uni of Manchester last year for 2015 entry and they then accepted the AAT Level 3 for Bsc Management hence why I applied again this year assuming they'd accept it. I'm distraught because the University of Manchester would most definitely be my first choice as I love the city, the university and the course modules. I'm considering declining my current offers so I can then apply again to the Uni of Manchester through UCAS Extra.

Is it possible the Uni will change its mind and lower the entry requirements closer to results day as they try and fill up their places?

Advice please? I really want to go to Uni of Manchester and not really too keen on going Leeds or Nottingham even though they're great universities.

If they have already declined you once, they are likely to decline you again I'm afraid. The whole point of having 5 choices is so that you choose 5 universities you'd be happy to go to, not have your heart set on one. If you really don't like any of your other choices you can see which other universities are in extra and contact one of them to apply.
As Jelly1000 says, they will not consider you again once they have rejected you, and if they had been prepared to consider you for another course, then they would have made you an offer for a changed course originally. Don't build up Manchester as a dream university when in truth there is very little to choose between it, Leeds and Nottingham.
I know UoM well, and I can assure you that management is a very competitive course. They simply do not need to start lowering their entry requirements through desperation.

If they thought that they were going to have a rough year and that maybe they would need to start lowering their entry requirements, and you would be someone they'd consider at that point, then they wouldn't have replied to you yet. They would have sat on your application until after the deadline, seen what things looked like then, and made a decision. However, they have decided to reject you, and they don't do that unless they are certain that they don't want to take you.

Reapplying through Extra is pretty much certain to result in you ending up with no offers at all. If you really are considering this course of action (which I would counsel against) then I would strongly suggest that you ring the admissions team at MBS and see what they have to say.

Nottingham and Leeds really are quite similar to Manchester in many ways, though Nottingham has a rather larger and leafier campus. I remember when I was applying (several years ago!) I was torn between Manchester and Leeds. I dare say that you would be happy at either - have you visited them yet?
Deleted - wrong thread
(edited 8 years ago)

I've seen your other thread on this, and I get you're really upset, so please don't do anything hasty.

Entry requirements don't tend to change in terms of "what qualifications are acceptable" in either Extra or clearing, and that's the grounds they've now rejected you on. They may have found that people with your set of qualifications struggled on the course in previous years, which is why they've changed the entry requirements this year. Equally, you previously rejected them on results day, and that can reduce your chances of being accepted in the future.

Your best option is going to be taking another gap year and taking another A-level so that you do meet their entry requirements, or possibly looking to transfer into second year.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I've seen your other thread on this, and I get you're really upset, so please don't do anything hasty.

Entry requirements don't tend to change in terms of "what qualifications are acceptable" in either Extra or clearing, and that's the grounds they've now rejected you on. They may have found that people with your set of qualifications struggled on the course in previous years, which is why they've changed the entry requirements this year. Equally, you previously rejected them on results day, and that can reduce your chances of being accepted in the future.

Your best option is going to be taking another gap year and taking another A-level so that you do meet their entry requirements, or possibly looking to transfer into second year.

Hi, Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! what do you mean transfer into second year?
Hi, Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! what do you mean transfer into second year?

As in, start your degree elsewhere and then look to move to UoM after first year.

However, you'd need to check with MBS that they'd consider a transfer application, and you'd need to understand that it's not a guaranteed route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically what @Origami Bullets said.

Usually, a transfer into second year would be conditional on you achieving a certain grade in your first year, and as has been said, it's not a guaranteed but it's something you could perhaps talk to the university admissions team about. Usually, admissions teams will be clear if you've got no chance of doing this because of your Level 3 qualifications, and if that's the case, your only option really will be to take another gap year and take another A-level (again there are no guarantees though).
Original post by malcolmDR
Hey guys, im stuck with either Banking and internaition finance at Cass, A&F at warwick or A&F at lse. This is throught ucas extra and I was wondering, what are my chances of getting into any of them? I am predicted A*A*A a level and have 2A3B at As,5A*Ac at gcse. Thanks

Please start your own thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I know UoM well, and I can assure you that management is a very competitive course. They simply do not need to start lowering their entry requirements through desperation.

If they thought that they were going to have a rough year and that maybe they would need to start lowering their entry requirements, and you would be someone they'd consider at that point, then they wouldn't have replied to you yet. They would have sat on your application until after the deadline, seen what things looked like then, and made a decision. However, they have decided to reject you, and they don't do that unless they are certain that they don't want to take you.

Reapplying through Extra is pretty much certain to result in you ending up with no offers at all. If you really are considering this course of action (which I would counsel against) then I would strongly suggest that you ring the admissions team at MBS and see what they have to say.

Nottingham and Leeds really are quite similar to Manchester in many ways, though Nottingham has a rather larger and leafier campus. I remember when I was applying (several years ago!) I was torn between Manchester and Leeds. I dare say that you would be happy at either - have you visited them yet?

They give offers to 78% of applicants according to http://university.which.co.uk/

This doesn't seem particularly competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending