The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
There is a day when they do a big spring clean...tidying up egham and englefield green!!!!! Also, every Saturday people go around campus and pick up litter and sort out the recycling bits, so something is done. However, I completely agree about the lack of recycling on campus!! I see so much stuff thrown away all the time that could clearly be easily recycled...empty bottles of alcohol being the most obvious of things...
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
How do students get to Oceana in Kingston? What nights do they go?? Students ffrom whhich universities go there???
Are all undergraduate students with RH as their firm choice guaranteed accommodation? Also, if I get accepted their next year, I'd prefer Tuke, Butler and Williamson and Gower and Wedderburn for accommodation. Can you give me any advice on how soon I should apply for accommodation to get into one of those? Also, are these halls too far from the psychology department?

profseverus
Are all undergraduate students with RH as their firm choice guaranteed accommodation?

No.
Ideally you should apply for accommodation as soon as possible. There is loads of discussion about halls in the accommodation threads - have a look in those.
Reply 44
westofirelandgirl19
How do students get to Oceana in Kingston? What nights do they go?? Students ffrom whhich universities go there???

Well Oceana is the nearest club to where i live. Uni students mainly will come from kingston uni, also you get people from the college down there a lot. Wednesday is students night so guessing RH people would go there on a wed for the best deals and what not.
Is RHUL difficult(in academic terms) compared to other Uni's . I ask because for my course the entry req. were AAB & while I was happy I got a place with my A2 B1 C1 C1 ,I'm begining to be slightly concerned regarding the academic standards..like will I be able for it etc. ? :/
oceania- you have to drive there
liquid in windsor is nearer we go there more often, taxi is about £15
does a-bus not go to oceana?
You can get there by train. A bus probably goes from Staines, but they don't go all night.
oooh. there's a train station in Kingston?!
Surprisingly yes.
there r 2 train stations, its not hard to get there...getting back is harder/impossible
Reply 52
Just get a taxi back from a club in London. We got a taxi back from Fabric, £60. There was 7 of us in the taxi, thats less than a tenner back. Perfect.
bowdeni
Just get a taxi back from a club in London. We got a taxi back from Fabric, £60. There was 7 of us in the taxi, thats less than a tenner back. Perfect.

which taxi firm do you use pls?
Reply 54
jennyng2000
which taxi firm do you use pls?

No idea. It was just london so get into the first taxi.
but just don't get a taxi which has a metre ,if there's a traffic jam you could end up paying over 100.
Reply 56
You can always call Radio taxis and they give you an estimate of how much it should be. Depending on when you go back if it's late at night there will be hardly any traffic. Better to get a black cab or the TFL certified taxis cause if you book any other taxi like one you found a business card of chances are you will be royally ripped off.
Reply 57
Really good information so far, thanks!

Couple of questions though :

1. How much would a single/return bus fare be from Staines/Egham/Feltham? I'll be living at home and the walk from Egham is pretty long. Also, do the buses have Oyster touch-ins?

2. As RHUL is a UoL, does that mean I'm entitled to a Student Oyster card, despite if being out of zone 6?

3. If I apply early, would it be possible to get campus accomodation in my second year as I didn't get the chance in my first? (clearing...pffft!)
1. I *think* a return to staines is about £2.60 but I can't remember the rest of the prices, sorry. Egham is not London so does not have oyster stuff.
2. No idea, but you won't be able to use the oyster in egham.
3. You'll go on the waiting list as second years are not first priority when it comes to accommodation. Get a house with friends, it's more fun!
Reply 59
Sarah Sheep
1. I *think* a return to staines is about £2.60 but I can't remember the rest of the prices, sorry. Egham is not London so does not have oyster stuff.
2. No idea, but you won't be able to use the oyster in egham.
3. You'll go on the waiting list as second years are not first priority when it comes to accommodation. Get a house with friends, it's more fun!

That's brilliant, thanks! It's just I'm from South London so I was thinking of getting a zone 2-6 monthly travelcard and paying for the Felt-Egham/Staines train trip on top of it to make it cheaper.

If you're not living on campus, how easy is it to meet people, if you have to get home in time for the last train and your course isn't very big?

Latest

Trending

Trending