The Student Room Group

My AS Goals

I've decided to give this thing a go. At worst it will make me improve my grades just like it states so I'm in. My goals are to get B's in all my subjects which are biology, chemistry, psychology and sociolgy.
I have started by writing out a check list of all the things I have to do tomorrow:

Revise for my biology mock on Tuesday on transport in animals. This topic is about blood vessels, exchange at the capillaries, the structure of the heart, the cardiac cycle, coordination of the cardiac cycle, transport of oxygen and transporting carbon dioxide,

Make summary flask cards on all of the case studies for psychology that we have currently gone over, milgram, Bocchiaro, loftus and Palmer, grant, bandura, Chaney, Freud and baron-Cohen,

Do 2 hours sociology revision on the new right, postmodernist, functionalist and Marxist views on families and education,

Do 2 hours chemistry revision, on elements of the sea, equilibrium, halogens, metal halides and ozone, radicals, homolytic fission, heterolytic fission and catalysts.
Original post by AnaSaid
I've decided to give this thing a go. At worst it will make me improve my grades just like it states so I'm in. My goals are to get B's in all my subjects which are biology, chemistry, psychology and sociolgy.
I have started by writing out a check list of all the things I have to do tomorrow:

Revise for my biology mock on Tuesday on transport in animals. This topic is about blood vessels, exchange at the capillaries, the structure of the heart, the cardiac cycle, coordination of the cardiac cycle, transport of oxygen and transporting carbon dioxide,

Make summary flask cards on all of the case studies for psychology that we have currently gone over, milgram, Bocchiaro, loftus and Palmer, grant, bandura, Chaney, Freud and baron-Cohen,

Do 2 hours sociology revision on the new right, postmodernist, functionalist and Marxist views on families and education,

Do 2 hours chemistry revision, on elements of the sea, equilibrium, halogens, metal halides and ozone, radicals, homolytic fission, heterolytic fission and catalysts.

sounds great
:goodluck:
Reply 2
Original post by fatima1998
sounds great
:goodluck:

Thank you very much Xx
Reply 3
image.jpg Since the last time I posted on this forum, I have completed all the tasks I set for myself, though in truth, it took longer than I initally planned. Therefore this time I am going to give myself longer to complete my targets. The picture is an example of my notes, as I can't seem to post anymore.

This week, my targets are:
Biology: To revise transport in plants, this topic is about the xylem, phloem, their structures and functions, the movement of water through plants, transpiration, the transpiration stream, adaptations of plants to the availability of water and translocation.

Chemistry: To revise the ozone story, this topic is about how energy interacts with matter, the wave theory and particle models of light, excitation, dipoles, hydrogen bonding and nucleophillic substitution.

Psychology: To continue to revise all case studies I previously mentioned last time I wrote on this forum, including an additional one, Sperry.

Sociology: To revise the education, from a new right, functionalist, Marxist, feminst and postmodernist perspective.
Reply 4
image.jpgThis is some of the work I've done since the last time I posted.
image.jpg But I it won't let me most any more
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
It has so long since I posted, but I have been too busy to post on here, trying to cope with revising for the exams. Therefore I didn't have a spare moment to update this but I have continued to create revision timetables, which I will post now as I have lots of free time now my exams are over. image.jpg

I followed this timetable for 3 weeks and got a lot of chemistry done. Some of it such as stereoisomerism took me less time than I thought, but other things such as periodicity took longer than I thought so it sort of averaged its self out.
Reply 6
After this, I decided I needed to do a bit of psychology. Therefore I created this time table as after spending three full weeks doing chemistry I needed to recap the case studies, debates and research methods from psychology:
image.jpg
To throughly do each case study, I took many many many notes :redface: which although it was very informative took a while to do. Therefore giving myself a day to each one, was just the right amount of time. I also found some of the research methods bit easier, such as remembering which hypothesis is which but remembering all the strength and weaknesses for each method was harder.
Reply 7
Yet again it's been a while since I last posted on here, and to be honest a lot has happened. I received my AS results, which to be honest were okay but in some subject not what I was hoping for:

I got an A in Psychology which i'm over the moon with and this was my target and was clearly my favorite subject which is why I have managed to grow my grades in this subject. One of the key things, that I think helped me to succeed in psychology was how I enjoyed it, every time I went to revise it I found something interesting about it and used that as a basis to work my revision around, meaning that it was fun and didn't feel like revision. The lesson I have leaned here is to start memorizing the facts (as one of my exams was about 70% recall) a soon as possible, even in small amount such as a fact a day, like there were 40 participants in Milgrams experiment. This left me with a small amount of completely new information that we had just learnt to memorize and made my revision so much easier. Therefore for this subject the advice i'd give to someone else is to constantly find ways of improving your knowledge, one fact at a time.

I got a B in Biology. which is what I targeted myself to get. I think one of the reasons for me successfully growing my grades is the amount of notes on my wipe board and flash card that I made. Literally for every topic I was instructed (by my teacher) to made notes after notes, summarizing each one, until I could recall a whole page of the text book from just one single trigger word. This has taught me to make as many notes as I can, especially next year, as the summaries really help when it came to the exams as I could read a short sentence and get as much information from that, as I could from a page of the text book but in a fraction of time.

I got a C in sociology which wasn't what I was hoping for but is a decent grade as I passed. In all honesty, I put this down to spending too much time on my other subjects and as a result my knowledge here suffered. I didn't spend as much time on sociology as I should have as, well, truth be told I was overconfident about it, as at GCSE I achieved an A* and therefore I presumed that I would be able to repeat this success at AS level without much revision, as most of the class didn't do sociology at GCSE and I thought AS would be a recap of GCSE. It was but with a lot of additional info that I didn't really give myself enough time to revise. I have grown my grades, but not the the extent that I wanted. This means that next year I will really have to up my game when it comes to sociology and try and make up for lost time, probably by using one of the techniques that helped me in psychology, such as making lots of flash cards (even though this is what I already did), and learning at least a fact a day (this being that little bit extra that will hopefully help me to achieve the grades that I want next year in A2.

I got a D in Chemistry. When it comes to the content, I think I did all I could to revise the information that I needed, making wipe board after wipe board of notes, topic after topic. So in this sense I have grown my grades successful, however when it came to the mathematical aspect of the exams, I really struggled. Here I could have done with a lot more revision as unfortunately the equations I focused on didn't come up (I memorized and practiced all the equations but I focused on some more than others). Therefore because of this I didn't achieve the grade that I wanted but hey, I still have an AS in chemistry, and in the future I won't make the same mistake. Advice for people that take chemistry, make sure that you are confident with all the calculations, as they are all equally likely to come up, that way you're good what ever the outcome.

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest