The Student Room Group

HYMS Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rionage
Congratulation on getting an offer !! I think we shared the same interview slot and we sat at the reception and chatted a bit after the interview for sometime (I was the Asian applicant from Taiwan :smile:). Are you likely to firm HYMS?

Congratulations for getting your offer too. I remember you said that you were a bit unsure of your performance but it seems that it turned out great! I'm not sure yet if I will firm HYMS... still thinking about it since it is quite far away. Also got to think about expenses and whatnot. What about yourself?
Reply 41
Original post by A_Khan
Congratulations for getting your offer too. I remember you said that you were a bit unsure of your performance but it seems that it turned out great! I'm not sure yet if I will firm HYMS... still thinking about it since it is quite far away. Also got to think about expenses and whatnot. What about yourself?

I think I will firm HYMS. I got an offer from Birmingham and just had QUB interview, but I really liked York campus. What about you? Where would you likely go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Anyone from the interview on the 9th of February at 10:00 am?
Hello all,

I'm a HYMS year 1 student, congratulations on getting an offer! We are all looking forward to meeting you in September!

Any questions at all feel free to ask away :smile:
How is it Hull and York?
Reply 45
Original post by HYMSstudent1
Hello all,

I'm a HYMS year 1 student, congratulations on getting an offer! We are all looking forward to meeting you in September!

Any questions at all feel free to ask away :smile:

Hey :smile: A few qs, first - how often are formative exams and would you say the feedback you get from them is helpful enough?

Also, ik when I did IB I would use the syllabus to figure out the specifics and depth of knowledge required for my exams, with PBL since it's "guided discovery" would we get a curriculum to follow or anything to help gauge how much/what exactly we need to learn?

thanks!
Original post by Squishy•
How is it Hull and York?

You become a student of both universities and will spend some time in both places at some point in the 5 year course, along with Scarborough, Scunthorpe and Grimsby. Students are allocated to Hull or York and you spend the first 2 years of the course in that site before coming together for clinical years from year 3 and above.

Original post by MS124
Hey :smile: A few qs, first - how often are formative exams and would you say the feedback you get from them is helpful enough?

Also, ik when I did IB I would use the syllabus to figure out the specifics and depth of knowledge required for my exams, with PBL since it's "guided discovery" would we get a curriculum to follow or anything to help gauge how much/what exactly we need to learn?

thanks!

Hello there! Current 3rd year student at HYMS.

With regards to formatives, in phase 1 (years 1 and 2) a short formative paper is put up on the online Blackboard for you to access at the end of every block with the answers available a week or so afterwards, to do in your own time. Most of the answers are accompanied with explanations. You then have 2 formative papers to sit in about November and March and these are like practice exams. You mark them yourself at the end and again it will contact explanations. Your results and a copy of the exam will be available on the Blackboard system some time shortly after the formative exam.

With regards to the curriculum and knowing how much depth to go in to, at the end of every PBL session you will be guided (if not given) the learning outcomes for the week set by the medical school. Every lecture also has learning outcomes detailed in the block guide. Together these will provide you with what you will be expected to know for the exam. It is sometimes hard to gauge how much depth to go in to, and that's something that all students struggle with at the start, but you soon learn through the PBL feedback sessions and lectures how much you are expected to know. It is usually better to know a bit about a lot of things, than just a few things in great detail, and you'll find that you shouldn't be spending hours and hours over one learning outcome and looking in really detailed and complicated books!

I hope that helps to answer your question. If you or anyone else has any more, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by ourphantoms
You become a student of both universities and will spend some time in both places at some point in the 5 year course, along with Scarborough, Scunthorpe and Grimsby. Students are allocated to Hull or York and you spend the first 2 years of the course in that site before coming together for clinical years from year 3 and above.

Hello there! Current 3rd year student at HYMS.

With regards to formatives, in phase 1 (years 1 and 2) a short formative paper is put up on the online Blackboard for you to access at the end of every block with the answers available a week or so afterwards, to do in your own time. Most of the answers are accompanied with explanations. You then have 2 formative papers to sit in about November and March and these are like practice exams. You mark them yourself at the end and again it will contact explanations. Your results and a copy of the exam will be available on the Blackboard system some time shortly after the formative exam.

With regards to the curriculum and knowing how much depth to go in to, at the end of every PBL session you will be guided (if not given) the learning outcomes for the week set by the medical school. Every lecture also has learning outcomes detailed in the block guide. Together these will provide you with what you will be expected to know for the exam. It is sometimes hard to gauge how much depth to go in to, and that's something that all students struggle with at the start, but you soon learn through the PBL feedback sessions and lectures how much you are expected to know. It is usually better to know a bit about a lot of things, than just a few things in great detail, and you'll find that you shouldn't be spending hours and hours over one learning outcome and looking in really detailed and complicated books!

I hope that helps to answer your question. If you or anyone else has any more, feel free to ask :smile:

thanks for all the info, rly helpful :smile:
Hey
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello!

Question to the graduate students really. Are you planning on going back into halls or looking into private accommodation? I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit reluctant to move back into halls having spent the last 3 years in private accommodation!
I'll probably do more research into the private market once I know which campus i'm allocated to.

Well done everyone on the offer :smile:
Original post by hannahcp93
Hello!

Question to the graduate students really. Are you planning on going back into halls or looking into private accommodation? I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit reluctant to move back into halls having spent the last 3 years in private accommodation!
I'll probably do more research into the private market once I know which campus i'm allocated to.

Well done everyone on the offer :smile:

I'm thinking the same, I'm not sure I want to go back to halls. Maybe we could get a group of us together once we've been allocated? :smile:
Reply 51
Just had a look at the accommodation and it's like over 100 for a week. I am not poor but I really don't want to pay 4000 just for bloody accommodation. Is there anyway to reduce this cost.
Original post by GeorgieBee93
I'm thinking the same, I'm not sure I want to go back to halls. Maybe we could get a group of us together once we've been allocated? :smile:

I absolutely hated halls first time round! I was hoping to find a group of people to go into a private house with :smile: I am sure a lot of people would be interested. A lot of graduates have got through this year and I am sure others will be feeling reluctant to go back into halls too. Hopefully anyway!
Original post by ruhullah
Just had a look at the accommodation and it's like over 100 for a week. I am not poor but I really don't want to pay 4000 just for bloody accommodation. Is there anyway to reduce this cost.

Not really if you want to be in halls. I haven't looked much into private accommodation in hull/york but private accommodation is much cheaper in newcastle vs their halls which is where I am at at the moment.

You can keep the cost down by just going for the basic rooms and going self catered. I never had ensuite and to be honest it wasn't that bad sharing.
Original post by hannahcp93
Not really if you want to be in halls. I haven't looked much into private accommodation in hull/york but private accommodation is much cheaper in newcastle vs their halls which is where I am at at the moment.

You can keep the cost down by just going for the basic rooms and going self catered. I never had ensuite and to be honest it wasn't that bad sharing.

In hull you can go for a university owned student house which is about 72-85 a week all in depending on the room and all within a few minutes walk from campus. I'll be doing that I think for hull! But York, I'm also concerned about a) the cost of colleges and b) living with first time undergrads. I remember how disgusting our kitchen was in halls first time round...Id definitely be interested in looking at a house in York. But it'd have to be within short walking distance of uni, that's really important!
Hi guys!
When do we apply for Hull accommodation? I got the email about applying for York accommodation (which I'm currently doing), but it didn't say much about Hull, except for the fact that they've reserved a large number of rooms.... Have I missed something?
Also are rooms let for 40 weeks enough?
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by aliciaa1997
Hi guys!
When do we apply for Hull accommodation? I got the email about applying for York accommodation (which I'm currently doing), but it didn't say much about Hull, except for the fact that they've reserved a large number of rooms.... Have I missed something?
Also are rooms let for 40 weeks enough?
Thanks!

This could mean that you've been assigned to York uni. If you're sure you haven't, ring the medical school to find out if they've sent out where you've been put. I remember it was quite late. You'll be registered with both Hull and York uni- you'll get generic emails from both so it could be a case of that, york uni know you've been accepted but don't know you may not be based in York. You'll only need to apply for accom where you're based :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by aliciaa1997
Hi guys!When do we apply for Hull accommodation? I got the email about applying for York accommodation (which I'm currently doing), but it didn't say much about Hull, except for the fact that they've reserved a large number of rooms.... Have I missed something?Also are rooms let for 40 weeks enough?Thanks!

Hi,
We get allocated on the 16th and if we've been allocated to Hull then York automatically cancels our accommodation application. If we've been allocated to Hull they will send us an email telling us when and how to apply to Hull uni accommodation so we don't have to worry about that now. And ya they've reserved rooms for HYMS students so we'll definitely get accommodation. Apparently 40 weeks is enough

Hope that answered ur q :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MS124
Hi,
We get allocated on the 16th and if we've been allocated to Hull then York automatically cancels our accommodation application. If we've been allocated to Hull they will send us an email telling us when and how to apply to Hull uni accommodation so we don't have to worry about that now. And ya they've reserved rooms for HYMS students so we'll definitely get accommodation. Apparently 40 weeks is enough

Hope that answered ur q :smile:

Ahh ok thank you!! :smile:
Reply 59
Does anyone know which college in York would be good to apply to?

I've looked at some walkthroughs of a few of the colleges on Youtube but have yet to decide.

Alcuin and Goodricke looked really nice. I like Constantine too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending