The Student Room Group

Positive DBS help! Midwifery..

Hello all! I have been advised by some fellow aspiring student midwives that this is a fantastic support group and you may be able to help me with a question? Here goes. I have a conviction for benefit fraud, the offence was many many years ago but took 5 years to come to court so the conviction is more recent around 3 years. My life at the time was very tough but I made a huge mistake admitted it and took the punishment ad responsibility for it (CSO). Getting the grades to apply for midwifery has been super hard but I finally achieved it while worrying at 36 am I too old!? I have spoken to the NMC, the Universities and many organisations prior to applying. No one could give me an answer until I had an offer. So I declared it as I should on UCAS and I have had interviews. I hold one offer and am awaiting on another. The process is that when the university do a DBS I will be called to a panel, get to say my piece and they will decide if I am okay to train. I currently volunteer within the NHS and various other roles and have glowing references. So the point of my post is because I unfortunately will not know if I get to take my place until after the panel meeting (maybe not until August!) and I am petrified of it being taken away, has ANYONE been in this position or knows someone who has and the result? Is anyone a current student with a positive DBS? Please PM me if you prefer. I feel so proud to have a place but have not even told my family in case it gets taken away. Thank you ever so much, J x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 30something
Hello all! I have been advised by some fellow aspiring student midwives that this is a fantastic support group and you may be able to help me with a question? Here goes. I have a conviction for benefit fraud, the offence was many many years ago but took 5 years to come to court so the conviction is more recent around 3 years. My life at the time was very tough but I made a huge mistake admitted it and took the punishment ad responsibility for it (CSO). Getting the grades to apply for midwifery has been super hard but I finally achieved it while worrying at 36 am I too old!? I have spoken to the NMC, the Universities and many organisations prior to applying. No one could give me an answer until I had an offer. So I declared it as I should on UCAS and I have had interviews. I hold one offer and am awaiting on another. The process is that when the university do a DBS I will be called to a panel, get to say my piece and they will decide if I am okay to train. I currently volunteer within the NHS and various other roles and have glowing references. So the point of my post is because I unfortunately will not know if I get to take my place until after the panel meeting (maybe not until August!) and I am petrified of it being taken away, has ANYONE been in this position or knows someone who has and the result? Is anyone a current student with a positive DBS? Please PM me if you prefer. I feel so proud to have a place but have not even told my family in case it gets taken away. Thank you ever so much, J x

I ve known people with positive DBS's and the panel has let them continue on the course however their offences were more than 10 years old so it being very recent for you might be a different story. The best thing you can do is be honest with the panel.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I ve known people with positive DBS's and the panel has let them continue on the course however their offences were more than 10 years old so it being very recent for you might be a different story. The best thing you can do is be honest with the panel.

Thank you, I hold a DBS for my volunteer work so I forwarded that with my declaration so they have all the facts, I just hope the panel appointment comes up asap!
Thank you, I hold a DBS for my volunteer work so I forwarded that with my declaration so they have all the facts, I just hope the panel appointment comes up asap!

I think it depends on the university but I believe at my university it only sits once a year so you could be in for a wait.
Reply 4
I have no idea what the outcome will be, nor any positive experiences to share with you, but I just want to say that you sound honest, and sorry, and that you may have been in a bad place when you committed the offence but have accepted the consequences, all of which require bravery. I hope you get a positive outcome, as real life experience is useful for a nurse to have, and you sound like a good, hard-working candidate.
Reply 5
Original post by HFBS
I have no idea what the outcome will be, nor any positive experiences to share with you, but I just want to say that you sound honest, and sorry, and that you may have been in a bad place when you committed the offence but have accepted the consequences, all of which require bravery. I hope you get a positive outcome, as real life experience is useful for a nurse to have, and you sound like a good, hard-working candidate.

Thank you ever so much that means a lot to me. I deeply regret the whole situation and just hope I get the chance to achieve my dream and provide for my family x
Reply 6
Hi have you heard anything yet? I'm also waiting for panel meeting to take place x
Reply 7
Hi no, I need to wait for all my decisions, accept my place then apply for the DBS. Once that comes through it goes to panel? They said it could be August before my DBS is back :/

Seems so cruel to have an offer then possibly have it taken away :frown:

Are you in a similar/same position?
Hi no, I need to wait for all my decisions, accept my place then apply for the DBS. Once that comes through it goes to panel? They said it could be August before my DBS is back :/

Seems so cruel to have an offer then possibly have it taken away :frown:

Are you in a similar/same position?

Im in a similar position, I've had an offer but I'm just so shocked about all this process. Because of the fact that we declared our convictions at the interview and we were given offer's with the university fully aware of our past, I thought it ends there and the only thing left will be for our dbs to come bk and prove what we have said is the truth. I am just finding out from here that the offer can be taken away. Is this really true has anyone spoken directly to any senior member of a university and have been told this ☹️ Cause I was super excited about my offer and now I'm just worried big time
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Megastar123
Im in a similar position, I've had an offer but I'm just so shocked about all this process. Because of the fact that we declared our convictions at the interview and we were given offer's with the university fully aware of our past, I thought it ends there and the only thing left will be for our dbs to come bk and prove what we have said is the truth. I am just finding out from here that the offer can be taken away. Is this really true has anyone spoken directly to any senior member of a university and have been told this ☹️ Cause I was super excited about my offer and now I'm just worried big time

Yes before I applied I spoke to all my unis, i spoke to the NMC too :frown: It is worth ringing them and asking as to start your degree to then have a panel meeting and be refused would be even worse :frown:

I am still waiting on 2 choices, of all my choices 1 uni wanted a written statement, one nothing and the other I had to fill in loads of paperwork!

It is because they are not allowed to let a positive DBS influence your application, but as an NHS course which requires placement time with vulnerable people the uni need to ensure you will be allowed on placement and when qualifying be allowed to register with the NMC.

Fraud seems a grey area, all depends on the offence too and when it happened etc, the panel allows your side of the story xx
Yes before I applied I spoke to all my unis, i spoke to the NMC too :frown: It is worth ringing them and asking as to start your degree to then have a panel meeting and be refused would be even worse :frown:

I am still waiting on 2 choices, of all my choices 1 uni wanted a written statement, one nothing and the other I had to fill in loads of paperwork!

It is because they are not allowed to let a positive DBS influence your application, but as an NHS course which requires placement time with vulnerable people the uni need to ensure you will be allowed on placement and when qualifying be allowed to register with the NMC.

Fraud seems a grey area, all depends on the offence too and when it happened etc, the panel allows your side of the story xx

Well I hope so because I have been allowed to volunteer in a hospital with the record. But everyone is different. When are you due to start the course. My start date is in September. I have just emailed the Dbs department of the university to ask if it's still possible that they can withdraw you even after you've made it clear you have a record. I just read another tread and the person was withdrawn from her offer even after disclosure gosh this is disapointing.
Well I hope so because I have been allowed to volunteer in a hospital with the record. But everyone is different. When are you due to start the course. My start date is in September. I have just emailed the Dbs department of the university to ask if it's still possible that they can withdraw you even after you've made it clear you have a record. I just read another tread and the person was withdrawn from her offer even after disclosure gosh this is disapointing.

Same, I volunteer with the NHS! Due to start in September too! Maybe minor offences do not need to go before a panel? I know many people with record before they were 18 who have been fine :frown:

Let me know what they say xx
Same, I volunteer with the NHS! Due to start in September too! Maybe minor offences do not need to go before a panel? I know many people with record before they were 18 who have been fine :frown:

Let me know what they say xx

Mine is not minor but it was 8 years ago but I got procecuted 2011 you know how long it takes these police to finish their investigations. But it's spent now, but I was told it will never come off my Dbs. Anyways we can only hope for the best I hope you are let on the course and myself. And they should also consider that we have not reoffended in 8 years. Let's just stay positive and keep each other updated. I only have one offer for now so keep in touch
Mine is not minor but it was 8 years ago but I got procecuted 2011 you know how long it takes these police to finish their investigations. But it's spent now, but I was told it will never come off my Dbs. Anyways we can only hope for the best I hope you are let on the course and myself. And they should also consider that we have not reoffended in 8 years. Let's just stay positive and keep each other updated. I only have one offer for now so keep in touch

Yes similar! DWP took a long time to come to court! I hope the uni get back to you asap! x
Hi,
what was the outcome? Hope you're okay, I know how it feels
Original post by student12112
Hi,
what was the outcome? Hope you're okay, I know how it feels

The outcome was good. Everything went to the panel after the interview and it was all good. Now I'm trying to meet my offer conditions
The outcome was good. Everything went to the panel after the interview and it was all good. Now I'm trying to meet my offer conditions

Great news! So have they told you that you can start with them? I got arrested 2 years ago for being drunk but it now says its a conviction on my DBS, waiting to hear what will happen, they offered me a place but then I found out from a recent employer dbs check I have this on record, so I notified the uni. Worried they might withdraw my offer
Original post by student12112
Great news! So have they told you that you can start with them? I got arrested 2 years ago for being drunk but it now says its a conviction on my DBS, waiting to hear what will happen, they offered me a place but then I found out from a recent employer dbs check I have this on record, so I notified the uni. Worried they might withdraw my offer

Ohh wow sorry to hear that. Well I'm sure they know ur been honest because u called them back to let then know. So that should mean something. Good luck with it all anyways
Megastar that is great news! I have accepted an offer from my first choice, now waiting for them to start the DBS process, once they have my DBS they want a written statement and a decision will be made! Seems much a long drawn out process!
Megastar that is great news! I have accepted an offer from my first choice, now waiting for them to start the DBS process, once they have my DBS they want a written statement and a decision will be made! Seems much a long drawn out process!

See I don't understand why some universities are doing it that way. When you have given someone an offer who has made a declaration at their interview why would they need to again wait for the DBS. I emailed the course director after receiving my offer to see what happens next. And she said all is clear after my interview my declaration went infront of the panel and that's why they decided to offer me a place. But I really hope all goes well for u. I'm sure you will be fine just keep ur hope up and pray for it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending