The Student Room Group

Graduate Medicine at Warwick , or Kings Undergraduate?

Hi,
I'm a Biomedical Science graduate and in the position where I've managed to receive offers to study medicine at
a) Kings A100 (5 year)
b) Warwick A101 (4 year )

Having already studied at Warwick, I feel more compelled to change University and I think GKT hospitals will offer great opportunities, but on the flip-side, as a graduate I would need to self-fund my tuition fees throughout the 5 years.

I was wondering if anyone, either medical students or prospective medical students could offer an insight on whether they think I'd be foolish to consider Kings for the extra expense incurred.

Thank you
Original post by khs1
Hi,
I'm a Biomedical Science graduate and in the position where I've managed to receive offers to study medicine at
a) Kings A100 (5 year)

Having already studied at Warwick, I feel more compelled to change University and I think GKT hospitals will offer great opportunities, but on the flip-side, as a graduate I would need to self-fund my tuition fees throughout the 5 years.

I was wondering if anyone, either medical students or prospective medical students could offer an insight on whether they think I'd be foolish to consider Kings for the extra expense incurred.

Thank you

Honestly, I would go for Warwick. Save as much money as you can. You will still have plenty of opportunities at the hospitals that Warwick uses and if you're so keen on London you can always aim for London for your foundation years.
So the "extra expense" of a 5 year won't actually be a huge difference if you can self-fund it without a loan. The interest on 22k over 30 years could potentially amount to 36k if you earn around 45k for a while (higher rate of interest whilst repayment not being high enough to repay well ahead of the 30 year term).

However, I would imagine it's more sensible to see a little bit extra come out like a tax each month over your career than lose a lump sum that could help you get a really decent deposit for a house once you're ready to buy. If you would have to work a large amount of hours to pay tuition I think you would lose out on a lot of what makes London brilliant for a student anyway.

Also you're a grad with an option to study graduate medicine, it seems like a no brainer. Even if Coventry bores the tits off you, GEM will bring you a whole host of new experiences, placements and a new cohort.

But I'm not yet a med student or junior doc so my opinion is just that of an observer. (I'll be with you at Warwick if you choose it :biggrin: )
Reply 3
Unless you have a spare £36K to burn, plus the additional costs of living in London, go for Warwick.
Reply 4
If you can afford to self-fund without undergoing great hardship then go with your gut-the extra money will pale into insignificance when weighed against your lifetime earnings. You know more about your outlook on things-what will you regret more-not going to Kings or incurring debt/spending additional money?
Also time is money. I would go for the 4 year course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The costs of that extra year are five years tuition fees (5 x £9,000 = £45,000), the costs of living as a student for an extra year (Imperial estimates £12,000), the additional costs of living in London, and one extra year knocked off your earning power as a consultant (with a bronze clinical excellence award... maybe £120,000). Unless things have changed, at Warwick you will only pay one year of fees (£9,000) and be eligible for the Department of Health bursary (living expenses + mileage + hospital parking costs) to mitigate the cost of living. If you volunteer in halls as a Resident Tutor then you won't pay anything towards your bills or accommodation during the degree. I would estimate the cost of choosing King's over Warwick at maybe £200,000...? How keen are you to move on?

I had the same feeling about staying at Warwick after my BSc but there's plenty of time to move around afterwards. My training in the six years after Warwick have taken me to London, back to Warwick (!!), the US, and now Oxford. Off to Melbourne in 2017...

If you had a place on the King's GEC then I would have more sympathy with your wish to try somewhere new. Warwick as a medical student is a very different experience to being there as an undergraduate and I would make that my choice unless finances really are no object.

Good job on two offers!
Original post by MonteCristo
. Unless things have changed, at Warwick you will only pay one year of fees (£9,000) and be eligible for the Department of Health bursary (living expenses + mileage + hospital parking costs) to mitigate the cost of living.

Yeah the bursary consists of 3.5k towards fees in years 2-4 meaning you have to find 3.5k up front for first year and can get a loan for the remaining 22k. Grads can get a 9k bursary for year 5 of a 5 year course but there isn't a loan for the remaining 36k. Grads can still get a maintenance loan on a 5 year though. Maintenance bursaries and grants aren't a thing now unless income based for carers. :-(
Original post by Quilverine
Grads can still get a maintenance loan on a 5 year though. Maintenance bursaries and grants aren't a thing now unless income based for carers. :-(

Thanks for the update. All the more reason to qualify at the first possible opportunity - successive governments are intent on making things worse for each successive generation.
Reply 9
Original post by khs1
Hi,
a) Kings A100 (5 year)

Thank you

Hi, sorry this is completely irrelevant, but how difficult do you think it was to get into graduate entry med?
I have an offer for biomedical science at Warwick, and if I do not get any offers for A100, I will have to consider taking it. Also, how is the course like as a whole, would you say it's worth considering? And is there anything else I should be considering?
Thanks, a lot.
Original post by TW5897
Hi, sorry this is completely irrelevant, but how difficult do you think it was to get into graduate entry med?
I have an offer for biomedical science at Warwick, and if I do not get any offers for A100, I will have to consider taking it. Also, how is the course like as a whole, would you say it's worth considering? And is there anything else I should be considering?
Thanks, a lot.

Get the grades, take a gap year and reapply. Graduate medicine is far more competitive and no one knows what will be available in three years time. Take a gap year and get more experience, its the best option.
Reply 11
Original post by ForestCat
Get the grades, take a gap year and reapply. Graduate medicine is far more competitive and no one knows what will be available in three years time. Take a gap year and get more experience, its the best option.

I'm, unfortunately, already on a gap year! Which is what's depressing. I have achieved grades of 40 in the IB. Some people have advised me to take another one, however I'm quite unsure at this moment.
Original post by TW5897
I'm, unfortunately, already on a gap year! Which is what's depressing. I have achieved grades of 40 in the IB. Some people have advised me to take another one, however I'm quite unsure at this moment.

Thats a shame, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea what went wrong this time? Do you think you could improve your application next year?
Its not unheard of to take two gap years but I realise it might be rather off putting. It still might be preferable than aiming for GEM though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending