The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
Update 13/04/2016

The first few days back at sixth form have been going well!

Yesterday:
Free period: I wrote an essay in timed conditions for Russia (resit) about the aftermath of the October Revolution. I wrote an essay plan using my notes though, so it wasn't entirely exam conditions. However, out of the 45 minutes I would have in the exam it only took me 30 to write 4 sides.
History: We didn't have a teacher so I did some of my English Language coursework instead.
English Language: We revised all of the key content for the exams and I surprised myself at how much I knew, which was good!
English Literature: We did some stuff about symbolism in 'A Streetcar Named Desire'
Free period: I spent this lesson with my History teacher doing some revision for Russia. She'd marked the essay I'd done in the morning and I got 48/50, which I was really pleased with!!

Today:
English Language: We didn't have a teacher so I went over an exemplar essay to see how to improve mine.
English Literature: We did a bit of work on one of the characters in All My Sons.
History: As we'd normally be doing coursework with this teacher and we've effectively finished, we got a lesson of independent revision for our American History exam.
Gen studs: Oh the joys. We did some research on different art styles in each century.
Free period: I did some more History revision!

I got new pens?!
IMG_20160412_222615.jpg

I ordered some new pens from Muji after my first one ran out!

I ordered a pack of 12 coloured 0.5 gel pens, and a pack of 6 black ones from the Muji website.

They are honestly just the best thing and I needed to show you them...!

Pens!!

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Hello, I don't mean to bother you, but do you have any English Language notes/notes on how to answer questions regarding analysing articles and its literary devices? Would mean alot :P I'm so impotent in English
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Omg every subject every day?! @Gingerbread101 you're so lucky. :biggrin:

Lol yes mildliners :colondollar: I love the grey one (I'm so boring :getmecoat:). Can you only get them on amazon?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our timetable works on the same period times as the lower school so it works really well :yes:

I've got the pack of pink, yellow, orange, green and blue :h: You can get them quite cheap on Amazon, I paid around £4.50 for that pack :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Black Rose
How many pens do you have altogether? :teehee:

Instead of doing homework I counted pens :mmm:

In my pencil case(s) I have 34, then including the rest of my room I have 142 :rofl:
Original post by Oblivion99
Hello, I don't mean to bother you, but do you have any English Language notes/notes on how to answer questions regarding analysing articles and its literary devices? Would mean alot :P I'm so impotent in English

Heyy :h:

I'll send some ideas over to you tomorrow - I'm going out to a party tonight and I've got a couple of essay plans to do before I go :smile:
Our timetable works on the same period times as the lower school so it works really well :yes:

I've got the pack of pink, yellow, orange, green and blue :h: You can get them quite cheap on Amazon, I paid around £4.50 for that pack :smile:

Spoiler

I will definitely look into getting some, I love stationery. (I can see you love it too:biggrin:). Paperchase notebooks are my fave. :u:

Btw I have nearly finished the play, I've been reading it whenever I had free time today and I am hooked. Can you recommend anything else similarly interesting? I shall feel extremely sad when I finish reading this. :colondollar:

Spoiler

Heyy :h:

I'll send some ideas over to you tomorrow - I'm going out to a party tonight and I've got a couple of essay plans to do before I go :smile:

Haha, thank you!! :smile: And enjoy the party :2euk48l:
I will definitely look into getting some, I love stationery. (I can see you love it too:biggrin:). Paperchase notebooks are my fave. :u:

Btw I have nearly finished the play, I've been reading it whenever I had free time today and I am hooked. Can you recommend anything else similarly interesting? I shall feel extremely sad when I finish reading this. :colondollar:

Spoiler

I found this website recently called Typo and they have really similar notebooks to Paperchase (and they have an amazing sale on for 3 for £8 or something crazy like that) :awesome:

I haven't read it myself but it sounds really interesting - another one by Williams - 'The Glass Menagerie' :yes:
Haha, thank you!! :smile: And enjoy the party :2euk48l:

I will :cool:
(edited 8 years ago)
I found this website recently called Typo and they have really similar notebooks to Paperchase (and they have an amazing sale on for 3 for £8 or something crazy like that) :awesome:

I haven't read it myself but it sounds really interesting - another one by Williams - 'The Glass Menagerie' :yes:

If I ever use up my vast collection of notebooks I will be sure to stock up, they have some pretty great stuff, their deer pen holder is cute. :colondollar:

I love American literature from around the time of the depression. Williams seems to have written a few around this time, and his writing style is really captivating - checking out that play for sure.
The film adaption of a streetcar named desire is now on my watch list. :u: :biggrin:
@Gingerbread101 I got new pens this week as a matter of fact! 8 new bic mediums, which gave me the motivation to work hard :biggrin:
Update 17/04/2016

Sorry I haven't posted for a while!
Thursday:
History: We did some more work on Women in WW2
Gen Studs: We didn't have a teacher, so I had a free period where I did some History revision
Literature: We were given time to do a coursework of our choice, so I did some more English Language coursework and History coursework. I got some feedback on my media piece, which was really positive! But then afterwards at lunch, DISASTER STRUCK!!!! The History coursework that I'd been working on was originally 2571 words (word limit 2000) so I'd been really decisive and cut out 400 words or so, and then one of my friends pointed out that Word was including my footnotes even when I didn't highlight them... I'd accidentally cut my essay down to 1400 words... I had to go and see my teacher and get an extended deadline into the weekend, as we were meant to be handing them in on Friday.
Language: We practised some exam skills annotating sources
Free period: I started adding words to my History

Friday:
Language: Despite being at a rather eventful party the night before, we all did a practice exam paper, which we'll be getting feedback for on Wednesday. I think it went pretty well though!
History: We finished planning an essay
Free Period: I did some research for Literature
Literature: We did some work on Tess of the D'Urbervilles (good old Thomas Hardy)
Free Period: I did some work adding to my History coursework

Saturday was coursework day - I finished adding to the History and I almost finished a draft of my English Language Investigation. Today I made 70 flash cards on Quizlet for my Russia revision!

Update on my checklist of revision hours
20160417_205051.jpg

This is mostly accurate, although I think there are slightly too many boxes coloured in for History, as I haven't been using a timer recently

I'm pretty pleased with everything, as I don't think I need to do as much for English Language as the other two

Are you on schedule with how much revision you planned to do?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Articles are weird things to analyse, I'm guessing this is for qu 2 of the AQA Eng Lang exam? :smile:
Really, they use the same literary devices as any other persuasive text, however you need to be more aware of their semantic fields and the specific grammatical types of word used so you're keeping it as a language analysis rather than a literature one :smile:

Original post by kennethdcharles
@Gingerbread101 I got new pens this week as a matter of fact! 8 new bic mediums, which gave me the motivation to work hard :biggrin:

Woooo!! :excited: I'm glad they helped you work, I love that new stationery feel! :awesome:
I still have to complete my lit coursework!:crazy:Have you done yours?
I still have to complete my lit coursework!:crazy:Have you done yours?

Yep, mine is finished now :smile:
Yep, mine is finished now :smile:

Ah, it's good that you've got it over with! :redface: But all of your subjects have coursework don't they? Could not cope with that! :eek3:
I just need to find a new Shakespeare play about social class to write about in my coursework. Because I'm not really that good at Antony and Cleopatra, so that part of my coursework is weak. :rolleyes:
I was thinking either The Winter's Tale or Othello because they have prominent themes about class. :holmes:
Ah, it's good that you've got it over with! :redface: But all of your subjects have coursework don't they? Could not cope with that! :eek3:
I just need to find a new Shakespeare play about social class to write about in my coursework. Because I'm not really that good at Antony and Cleopatra, so that part of my coursework is weak. :rolleyes:
I was thinking either The Winter's Tale or Othello because they have prominent themes about class. :holmes:

Yep, 2 courseworks for History, 2 for Language and 1 for Literature :colondollar: 2 down, 3 to finish!

Hmm, those ones would work :yes:
Yep, 2 courseworks for History, 2 for Language and 1 for Literature :colondollar: 2 down, 3 to finish!

Hmm, those ones would work :yes:

You deserve all the awards, you juggle so much! :nooo: The worst decision of my life was doing an EPQ, I should have considered that my weakness in coursework would also mean that I wouldn't be good at an independent research project. :lol:

I think I will go for Othello, so will try to find a copy in the library tomorrow. :biggrin: I have taken out so many books from the college library. :blushing:
You deserve all the awards, you juggle so much! :nooo: The worst decision of my life was doing an EPQ, I should have considered that my weakness in coursework would also mean that I wouldn't be good at an independent research project. :lol:

I think I will go for Othello, so will try to find a copy in the library tomorrow. :biggrin: I have taken out so many books from the college library. :blushing:

Haha, thanks :blush:

My school are starting the EPQ next year, I really wanted to do one! :emo:
Haha, thanks :blush:

My school are starting the EPQ next year, I really wanted to do one! :emo:

I can tell you would have been awesome at it. :biggrin:
It requires so much organisation and dedication, a lot of my friends really got into it and enjoyed it but I never really enjoyed it for some reason. :s-smilie:

Idk if I asked you this, but what area(s) of law interests you the most? :colondollar:
Although I'm not completely on schedule, I must say, I've done quite a lot of work, which I'm happy about. I guess my schedule was a bit too demanding :biggrin: Keep going @Gingerbread101 you seem to be doing really well!!
@Gingerbread101

I adore all of your revision materials, they are simply beautiful....

Can you post more up? They are so colourful and happy - works of art!
Update 17/04/2016

Sorry I haven't posted for a while!
Thursday:
History: We did some more work on Women in WW2
Gen Studs: We didn't have a teacher, so I had a free period where I did some History revision
Literature: We were given time to do a coursework of our choice, so I did some more English Language coursework and History coursework. I got some feedback on my media piece, which was really positive! But then afterwards at lunch, DISASTER STRUCK!!!! The History coursework that I'd been working on was originally 2571 words (word limit 2000) so I'd been really decisive and cut out 400 words or so, and then one of my friends pointed out that Word was including my footnotes even when I didn't highlight them... I'd accidentally cut my essay down to 1400 words... I had to go and see my teacher and get an extended deadline into the weekend, as we were meant to be handing them in on Friday.
Language: We practised some exam skills annotating sources
Free period: I started adding words to my History

Friday:
Language: Despite being at a rather eventful party the night before, we all did a practice exam paper, which we'll be getting feedback for on Wednesday. I think it went pretty well though!
History: We finished planning an essay
Free Period: I did some research for Literature
Literature: We did some work on Tess of the D'Urbervilles (good old Thomas Hardy)
Free Period: I did some work adding to my History coursework

Saturday was coursework day - I finished adding to the History and I almost finished a draft of my English Language Investigation. Today I made 70 flash cards on Quizlet for my Russia revision!

Update on my checklist of revision hours
20160417_205051.jpg

This is mostly accurate, although I think there are slightly too many boxes coloured in for History, as I haven't been using a timer recently

I'm pretty pleased with everything, as I don't think I need to do as much for English Language as the other two

Are you on schedule with how much revision you planned to do?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Footnotes with coursework have caused issues in my school as well - I had unnecessarily cut down my History coursework to way below the limit as footnotes were included, and when I discovered I had to uncheck the box in the word count section of Word, I had to add it all back in again. And when I told everyone else, they had the exact same issue.

Especially as we were all doing it just before the deadline, it was quite a stressful time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending