The Student Room Group

differentiation additional maths help!

hi i'm currently doing FSMQ (Free Standing Maths Qualification) at GCSE level and i was doing a differentiation question but i got it wrong (no idea why). Can anyone help out? (there's a screenshot in the attachment)

p.s. my answer was a bit of a guess so no laughs please :h:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hals
hi i'm currently doing FSMQ (Free Standing Maths Qualification) at GCSE level and i was doing a differentiation question but i got it wrong (no idea why). Can anyone help out? (there's a screenshot in the attachment)

y=5*x^-1
so y' = -5*x^-2, yeah?
Original post by hals

5/x 5/x is the same as 5x1 5x^{-1}
Reply 3
too late again
Reply 4
Original post by Bath_Student
y=5*x^-1
so y' = -5*x^-2, yeah?

thank you for replying! i get how you reduce the power from -1 to -2, but how did you get -5?
Reply 5
Original post by Eux
5/x 5/x is the same as 5x1 5x^{-1}

ohhh thx for reminding me!
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
too late again

hahaha is there some kind of competition to see who can reply first out there or something? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by hals
hahaha is there some kind of competition to see who can reply first out there or something? :biggrin:

yes there is
the top 3 every week get KFC vouchers.
Original post by TeeEm
yes there is

You must be obese...
Reply 9
You must be obese...

yeah ....:frown:
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
yes there is

LOOLL im in how comes we don't get notified haha
Reply 11
Original post by hals
LOOLL im in how comes we don't get notified haha

you need to spend enough time here ...
I "live" in the maths room ...
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm
you need to spend enough time here ...
I "live" in the maths room ...

i was about to ask 'do u stalk maths forums?' coz dayummm that reply was quick O.o

anyone else doing GYG?

It's particularly fun beating that Pakistani Cambridge snob to it.

Ummmm who's that?
Original post by gagafacea1
Ummmm who's that?

Better not mention any names, but if you hang around here often enough you'll know. Hint: he has a profile pic which resembles strongly a young lad from Pakistan.
Reply 15
Ummmm who's that?

:hi:
Original post by Zacken
:hi:

lmaooooooooooooooooo

Better not mention any names, but if you hang around here often enough you'll know. Hint: he has a profile pic which resembles strongly a young lad from Pakistan.

If you think he's a snob, wait till you talk to the other Cambridge Maths offer holders, you'd LOVE them lol. No but seriously, he isn't.
Reply 17

If you think he's a snob, wait till you talk to the other Cambridge Maths offer holders, you'd LOVE them lol. No but seriously, he isn't.

Mu. :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
Mu. :rofl: :rofl:

:wink: :tongue:

I've already met his fellow offer holders for mathematics, and they're equally annoying. Perhaps snob isn't the right word, but unpleasant definitely suits them. Their common, obvious disregard for basic spelling and grammar is painful. I think I quote from one of those low-lifers: "mans got no mandems innit", or something along those lines. Bleerrrgghh. Sadly, such a person will constitute the next generation of Cambridge students..

UPDATE: I just received a warning from the TSR team saying that I propagated racial hatred on here. Obviously, this was never my intent!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest