The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Best College at the University of York?

Hi, I'm choosing York as my firm for 2016 entry for biology and just wondering if anyone had opinions on colleges there?
I'm thinking about applying to Langwith as it seems really fun and sociable which I think is the main thing! I'm not that sure what any of the others seem to be like though? Would really appreciate any opinions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm in Langwith and I'm a first year! I don't think it matters where you go really, just pick the nicest accommodation for you - the only stereotype I think that matters for you is that Alcuin is meant to be quiet - but it all depends on whether you want to be quiet I guess ☺️
University of York
York
Langwith is a bit of a mission for biology tbh, as it's on Hes East and all of Bio is Hes West, if you don't mind the commute then go for it, but I'd pick somewhere closer.
Reply 3
Original post by oliviacurls
I'm in Langwith and I'm a first year! I don't think it matters where you go really, just pick the nicest accommodation for you - the only stereotype I think that matters for you is that Alcuin is meant to be quiet - but it all depends on whether you want to be quiet I guess ☺️

the accommodation at Langwith is really nice right? how are you finding the uni by the way?? just put it down as my firm choice! :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by magnitudezero
Langwith is a bit of a mission for biology tbh, as it's on Hes East and all of Bio is Hes West, if you don't mind the commute then go for it, but I'd pick somewhere closer.

I don't think I'll be too worried about the commute really, how far do you reckon it is though?
Reply 5
There's a free bus that'll get you there pdq, but I don't see why you should go through with that anyway, since Hes East is supposedly a social graveyard.
Hes east looks awful
I've got an offer for biology at york too, trying to decide which college atm too
Original post by millss
I don't think I'll be too worried about the commute really, how far do you reckon it is though?

Walking it's easily 15 mins, but the bus is free and often. I'm doing bio and staying in Halifax - which is about a 5 minute walk away, but I have a bike, so I bike in and it takes all of 2 mins. Halifax is a good college, people will say like "oh it's just for insurance people etc" but it was always my first choice. It's like a little village, there's a shop, cash point, the accommodation is varied between flats and houses, some en-suite options. A lot of the courts back on to open fields, really nice. I'm going to be staying in Halifax next year too instead of moving on to private. I honestly have no idea why people would ever go for Vanbrugh/Derwent/James etc, I feel like I'm going to contract something just walking past those colleges.

Only downside is there's no bar and no catered accommodation, so need to be able to cook.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I'd go for Vanbrugh if I were you as it's so close to biology you'll be able to get out of bed 10 minutes before lectures which will be hugely appreciated.
If you want nice accommodation then Vanbrugh have loads of en suites but also cheap accommodation if you prefer (which is probably more sociable).
They do about 2 / 3 good events per term and have a bar which puts on Jazz night every Monday.
Also it's really close to Derwent which has D Bar and Courtyard which are really good bars and do good food.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends what imortant to you facilities wise, how much you want to spend and how close to you department. Theres no reall difference where you go, derwent carries a shitty repulation, but it is dodgy place to live, in respect to the buildings. Whan to be social pick a college with a pub/bar, I think derwent is the most popular drinkng place, but you can still go there is you are froma different college. Most students will hit the town for anything serious anyway, as long as you don't pick a remmote college, its all very similar.

I liked where I was at halifax due to our block being liad out much more like a house, made it more natural.

Despite some silly people that wear the brands, there isn't any real college identity or meaning, maybe there is between people who do competetitive sprts otherwise its just a novelty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
If I'll be studying law on Hes East do you think it would be stupid to go for accomodation on Hes West? not sure whether to go for the main campus and spread out a bit or go for one in Hes East? is social life better on either campus? all opinions much appreciated please!!
Reply 12
I'm studying law at york at the moment mate, in my first year on hes east and honestly the best advice i took when applying for accom last year was to try get on east campus. The students i know that study on hes east that live on west wish they'd done the same, there's loads of law students living on east, and when you've got a couple hours between lectures you end up sitting about if you live on west because its pointless getting the bus back to your room whereas on east you can nip home and cook something whenever. social life is similar on both, would recommend langwith out of the 3 on east but all of them are really nice. let me know if you've got any more questions I'm happy to let you know what i think of things :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by WJM321
I'm studying law at york at the moment mate, in my first year on hes east and honestly the best advice i took when applying for accom last year was to try get on east campus. The students i know that study on hes east that live on west wish they'd done the same, there's loads of law students living on east, and when you've got a couple hours between lectures you end up sitting about if you live on west because its pointless getting the bus back to your room whereas on east you can nip home and cook something whenever. social life is similar on both, would recommend langwith out of the 3 on east but all of them are really nice. let me know if you've got any more questions I'm happy to let you know what i think of things :smile:

Thankyouu so much, Hes East makes sense, I was just worried about the social side of things seeing as it's the newer part etc, can I ask why langwith over goodricke?:smile:
Hi I have an offer from York for History, I am thinking of applying for accommodation for Alcuin college because it is near the History department. Any thoughts about the college ????
Original post by magnitudezero
Walking it's easily 15 mins, but the bus is free and often. I'm doing bio and staying in Halifax - which is about a 5 minute walk away, but I have a bike, so I bike in and it takes all of 2 mins. Halifax is a good college, people will say like "oh it's just for insurance people etc" but it was always my first choice. It's like a little village, there's a shop, cash point, the accommodation is varied between flats and houses, some en-suite options. A lot of the courts back on to open fields, really nice. I'm going to be staying in Halifax next year too instead of moving on to private. I honestly have no idea why people would ever go for Vanbrugh/Derwent/James etc, I feel like I'm going to contract something just walking past those colleges.

Only downside is there's no bar and no catered accommodation, so need to be able to cook.

Hey, i'm gonna study biomedical sciene and i'm between york and surrey. since you're studying at york, can u give me any advice on which uni to choose? thanks a lot :smile:
Im also trying to decide on which college.. Ive heard goodricke is really nice/ modern. Im not to worried about pricing but intrested to know the most popular, fun college (anything thats not quiet!!) And I will be studying geography
Can't really give you any advice as to which you should choose, all I can say is that I'm very happy with the quality of teaching, the resources and opportunities made available to us, the university itself is awesome, it's definitely a great place to be - but which you prefer is totally up to you!
Original post by WJM321

Which is the best college on hes east? Ive heard goodricke is modern and a nice place - whats its reputation like? - fun?!
Reply 19
Original post by millss
Hi, I'm choosing York as my firm for 2016 entry for biology and just wondering if anyone had opinions on colleges there?
I'm thinking about applying to Langwith as it seems really fun and sociable which I think is the main thing! I'm not that sure what any of the others seem to be like though? Would really appreciate any opinions :smile:

Im a respectful young woman yet has bant and life sucked out ofme from being at the Uni of York. I'm a first year at Halifax college and canhonestly say ive spent the majority of this year trying to invent a timemachine to go back in time and not come to York Uni. Regardless of the factthat I may study at a top uni in the york i still envy all the York st johnsstudents! If student life doesnt bother you and all you want to do isstudy and sit in your room all a alone with a house full of anti social peoplethen be my guest and embark on a very boring degree at York. Any other advice feel free to message me... P.s if you are determined to go to york but still want an onceof fun then i would advice going to Derwent college never halifax or james oranything on Hes east.

Quick Reply

Latest