The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
>complains about getting an S1 offer for ages
>says anyone can get an S

you guys are all saying "oh i did this paper and get an S" "oh I did that paper and got an S" yeah i havent really looked at step for a really long time now but if you guys are just breezing through it i reckon i wont have to if its that easy. I remember it as a bit harder but i looked at a step 2 paper about a month ago and remember thinking it was very easy so i wont bother lmao and getting an S is probably easier than i thought at the time of getting an offer
Reply 61
Original post by imsoanonymous123

What was with the complaining then?
Original post by Zacken
What was with the complaining then?

I don't need to justify myself to you although I already just did in my last post which you quoted as a "..."

I feel like you have had some kind of problem with me from the day we met since I feel like you are trying to conceal some kind of hostility towards me; way before I started complaining about my offer or anything. I'm not very adept socially so it's really hard for me to tell but am I right in saying this?
Reply 63
I don't need to justify myself to you although I already just did in my last post which you quoted as a "..."

I feel like you have had some kind of problem with me from the day we met since I feel like you are trying to conceal some kind of hostility towards me; way before I started complaining about my offer or anything. I'm not very adept socially so it's really hard for me to tell but am I right in saying this?

Nopes.
Original post by Zacken
Nopes.

i wrote something really stupid and quoted loads of times but anyway edited whatever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
anyway if you want a better answer to your question; I dont like working hard, sitting around all day playing computer games is easier. I wanted to just coast and lay back with my arms behind my head and not take anything seriously and still be pretty much guaranteed a place, but unfortuantely I can't do that now. I'm still coasting quite a bit but I will probably start prep some time in late april or may so i wont be coasting 100% which I may have done otherwise.

Why d'you want to go to Cambz then? Better off at a uni where you can lie back and play games.
nah anyone can get an S grade on a step paper if they put in the hard work over an extended period of time... like anybody that isnt born with a mental defect of some kind

Maybe you're right. But someone with a mathematical oriented mind would be able to get that S in a relatively shorter period of time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kprime2
Maybe you're right. But someone with a mathematical oriented mind would be able to get that S in a much shorter period of time.

ok fair enough
anyway if you want a better answer to your question; I dont like working hard, sitting around all day playing computer games is easier. I wanted to just coast and lay back with my arms behind my head and not take anything seriously and still be pretty much guaranteed a place, but unfortuantely I can't do that now. I'm still coasting quite a bit but I will probably start prep some time in late april or may so i wont be coasting 100% which I may have done otherwise.

Really?

Life has very little to offer for people who are basically lazy.
ok sorry I was trolling just ignore everything I said.
I didnt choose to be lazy life just made me lazy the same way life chose to make some people more mathematical and artsy than others

That's exactly the mindset that lazy people have. You seem to have an external locus of control meaning you believe your decisions and life is controlled by external factors which you cannot influence i.e. chance or fate.

You can turn things around. People who get good things in life have to work hard for it and make things happen.
nah anyone can get an S grade on a step paper if they put in the hard work over an extended period of time... like anybody that isnt born with a mental defect of some kind

Ok now you're just trolling.
Original post by shamika
Ok now you're just trolling.

I said over an extended period of time. This implies years of hard work.

Let's assume you grab some fairly average student that's struggling with GCSE maths and getting a C grade. If you rough him up and bootcamp him some maths making him work at his maths for about two hours a week for 6 months I reckon he would be A* grade for GCSE.

If you take this a step further and make him work at his maths for three to four hours a week for a bit less than a year he would probably be A* ish level at A level maths.

If you take this another step further and make him work four to five hours a day at his maths for three years that person will be S grade level for STEP but probably even better than that level.

Except the guy who is at C grade in gcse maths isnt going to end up doing any serious work anyway probably so that's why you hardly ever see it happen and you think it's impossible :P
(edited 8 years ago)

Let's assume you grab some fairly average student that's struggling with GCSE maths and getting a C grade. If you rough him up and bootcamp him some maths making him work at his maths for about two hours a week for 6 months I reckon he would be A* grade for GCSE.

If you take this a step further and make him work at his maths for three to four hours a week for a bit less than a year he would probably be A* ish level at A level maths.

If you take this another step further and make him work four to five hours a day at his maths for three years that person will be S grade level for STEP but probably even better than that level.

Except the guy who is at C grade in gcse maths isnt going to end up doing any serious work anyway probably so that's why you hardly ever see it happen and you think it's impossible :P

True. Someone i know had close personal tuition for her maths gcse for a couple of months before the exam, and she still managed to fail it. In fact her whole class did!

How many hours will it take for me to solve the Riemann's hypothesis? Is that just years of work too?
Original post by john2054
True. Someone i know had close personal tuition for her maths gcse for a couple of months before the exam, and she still managed to fail it. In fact her whole class did!

A lot of personal tutors are crap... some are good though. But sometimes even the crap ones are better than nothings because it adds a social element to learning which is really quite nice
Original post by shamika
How many hours will it take for me to solve the Riemann's hypothesis? Is that just years of work too?

Many many more years + probably autism
Original post by shamika

Anyway solving the Riemann hypothesis makes you a legend and so many top mathematicians for ages couldn't do it. It is compeltely different to getting an S grade in STEP. Every year loads of people get S grades and most of these people don't even have to work that hard to get them. So if you have a disadvantage in natural ability you can easily make up for it by simply working harder since it is not such an extreme case. But to be the best in the world at anything you need to work very hard AND have natural ability. It's different, not a fair comparison really. Getting an S grade in step is nowhere near as difficult as solving the Riemann hypothesis

I don't know, I think even with the will power an average student wouldn't be able to do all that.

Like, some people hit a brick wall in understanding, where they literally cannot progress from, or so say some of my teachers.
Anyway solving the Riemann hypothesis makes you a legend and so many top mathematicians for ages couldn't do it. It is compeltely different to getting an S grade in STEP. Every year loads of people get S grades and most of these people don't even have to work that hard to get them. So if you have a disadvantage in natural ability you can easily make up for it by simply working harder since it is not such an extreme case. But to be the best in the world at anything you need to work very hard AND have natural ability. It's different, not a fair comparison really. Getting an S grade in step is nowhere near as difficult as solving the Riemann hypothesis

Ok so you think natural ability is needed for Riemann's hypothesis, but not to take STEP? To give you context, about 1000-2000 sit a given STEP paper. Last year 92,711 people took A level maths. So we're talking about an exam which has selected the top 2% of students who are taking maths. But only 10.9% of A-level students took maths, and not all 16 year olds stay in school. In fact there are roughly 800,000 18 year olds in the uk.

So you're talking around 0.2% of the general population being good enough to even attempt STEP. 11.8% of STEP III candidates got an S. So now we're talking around 0.05 %. You still think it's just hard work to get ab
S in STEP?

Latest