The Student Room Group

The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread

There are lots of these at the moment, so I think I shall create this one (on request from a post report :wink:) and merge all future threads on this topic into it.

Generic answers:

1) As long as your grades meet the minimum requirements, you stand a chance if you have an otherwise good portfolio. All other factors being equal, better grades probably = better chance, but just because your grades aren't perfect is certainly no reason to give up hope!

2) The medical school which is best is the one you like most. Whether this is because of location, style of course, the fit Pathology lecturer...if you're happy there you'll do well.

3) Any work experience is good, but only if you actually gain from it. There's no point doing anything if you're not able to say what you learned about medicine/skills you gained which you can use in medicine from doing it. Don't stress if other people have done cooler stuff than you.

I think that'll do for now - if anyone else has any other suggestions for this bit, feel free to add your pearls of wisdom, otherwise let the angsting begin!

Extras from other people:
'UKCAT, how much does it matter?': Different for each university and it's importance this year may be different from last because it's in its second year of usage. Check each uni website carefully (e.g. Barts and London had a cut-off point this yr)

'Why medicine?': That's up to you, nobody else.

Scroll to see replies

OMGosh!
Genius, why didn't we have this before!
No more bricks required! :wink:

(P.S. I have 11A*, can I get into medical school? :p:)
Reply 2
Woooh! :smile:

And no Philo, don't be greedy...you have an unconditional :P
Reply 3
Some universities will accept you if you haven't got biology/only have biology to AS but your choices will be limited. T

That seems to have come up quite a bit recently.
Reply 4
I'm testominy to the "you're good enough if you meet the minimum entry requirements" dogma. In my experience, and at least at the universities I applied to (manc, leeds, sheffield and UEA), if you satisfy the entry requirements then the rest of your application is assessed on an equal level to everyone elses.
Reply 5
Helenia
All things being equal, better grades probably = better chance

Many universities dispute this - saying that as long as you meet the typical offer requirements, an AAA student gets no preference over an AAB student. While this seems to defy logic in some respects, it does show you how much the non-academic part of your application matters.
Reply 6
Iscariot
Many universities dispute this - saying that as long as you meet the typical offer requirements, an AAA student gets no preference over an AAB student. While this seems to defy logic in some respects, it does show you how much the non-academic part of your application matters.

Which is why I said all things being equal. Shall edit to make it clearer, but having better grades is always going to be an advantage over someone with worse ones if your profiles are otherwise identical.
'UKCAT, how much does it matter?': Different for each university and it's importance this year may be different from last because it's in its second year of usage. Check each uni website carefully (e.g. Barts and London had a cut-off point this yr)

Reply 8
Idontknowwhat

Good stuff, added to the initial post :smile:

Though I want to do medicine because I like science and I want to help people :wink:
To be honest that was true for me, and I said it, and I got in, so I suppose it's whether you say it with conviction ^_^.
Reply 10
Helenia

Iscariot

Which is why I said all things being equal. Shall edit to make it clearer, but having better grades is always going to be an advantage over someone with worse ones if your profiles are otherwise identical.

& also worth noting other unis don't dispute the fact they use grades or some sort of 'academic' score to select! :p: Definitely a case of 'do your research'...

Although some keep more schtum about how they select for interview, anecdotally in my experience (when people at my 6th form heard / the people I bumped into in the 1st/2nd days of interviewing at more than one medical school!) it seemed like they may have had some influence on interview timing at least.

Obvious advice, if you haven't yet done your GCSEs/AS/A2s - do the best you can! Grades definitely aren't the be all and end all of getting in... but excellent ones probably aren't going to hurt & if you think you underperformed I'd recommend getting your referee to mention why (e.g. illness, personal/family circumstances, school problems etc).
Reply 11
I think Barts are the only medical school to state the cut-off score they will use for UKCAT: If you score less than 2350 you will be automatically rejected without interview regardless of the rest of your application.

All the other universities are far more "fuzzy" on how much weight they give the UKCAT. KCL say they use the UKCAT as a measure of "academic potential" - average grades and a good UKCAT score will put you on equal footing with someone who has good grades but an average UKCAT score.
Helenia

2) The medical school which is best is the one you like most. Whether this is because of location, style of course, the fit Pathology lecturer...if you're happy there you'll do well.

Is there something you're not telling me about 1B? :wink:
Reply 13
friendlyneutron
Is there something you're not telling me about 1B? :wink:

Sadly no, but somewhere else might be lucky on that front!?! There must be one hot pathologist somewhere?
finally!!! a thread to end all threads.
Basically, I want to do medicine in university, eventually, whether it's straight from A2's or from Biomed or something like that

but after reading a few threads, it seems that getting into uni is based atleast partially on GCSE grades. and my GCSE grades are absolutely abysmal. B's in Science, Maths, IT, and English, and everything else was C's.

is this going to be a permanent problem? I mean, I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, and English Language at A/S, and A2 next year, and maybe an A/S in physics or maths or something. Assuming I get something like AAB or AABb, will I have much trouble getting into university?

because I barely have that much hope as it is. =/

oh, and on a side note...do universities generally look down on people who spend longer than 2 years in college? I did a computer course last year and dropped out because it was boring, started A/S's this year. which means I'm a year behind. is that going to be a problem?
Reply 16
All the male histopathologists here I know are gay. Although the prof for that dept is hot in the older woman sense (Prepares for severe piss-taking from the BL students).
Reply 17
Thanks for the thread! :smile:

HawkAhriman - check you meet the minimum entry requirements for wherever you want to apply. When you say 'Science', do you mean double award? Most places (all places afaik) want at least double award. Your grades are lower than most people you'll be competing against, which yes, could be a disadvantage, but if you meet the minimum requirements, you still stand a chance, especially if you do well in other academic tests (UKCAT, BMAT) and your A-levels. Do you have any extenuating circumstances...?

Spending more than two years in college shouldn't be an issue - it's only spending more than two years taking (the same) A-levels that's the problem.
Hi I'm new here :biggrin:

I reaaaallly want to go to Glasgow Uni to do medicine, but I don't know if I'll get in.

This year I'm doing (Highers)

English
Maths
French
Physics
Chemistry

All going well, I'd like to do Advanced Higher French and Chemistry, and Higher Music and Biology next year.

I'm in the school band (geek alert!) and I'm hoping to be Head Girl next year.

What do you think my chances are???

Thanks

Debz xxx
Reply 19
Am doing the IB currently.

Higher
Biology
English
Psychology

Standard

Chemistry
Math
Swedish

Am doing well in my higher subjects, NOT well in standard (as of right now). But I am extremely motivated and the kind of person who doesn't give up and is thus, trying and trying and trying (+ a zillions cups of coffee) to improve my grades.

I don't have any GSCE since I'm not from England but the grades that are equivalent to them are very high.

Oh and I do have SOME work experience within elder work, administration, kids and etc.

I want to apply to manchester (first choice), brighton/sussex, kings and edingburgh. Am considering foundation as well.

What do you think my chances are?
At the moment, it feels as if my dream is on the road of ruin.

Latest