The Student Room Group

worried about getting the grades

im a bit worried that i wont be able to get the grades that i need to get to my first choice university which is nottingham trent and am hoping to study criminology. the trouble is i've a had a really crap year and suffer badly from depression and panic attacks and due to this i haven't been able to bring my assignments grades up to what i have done in the past. i have two weeks left at college and i need to bring everything up to a distinction as im studying a BTEC but im also studying sociology AS which im predicted a B and studied AS psychology last year and got and A so i know i can get the grades but the uni aren't taking these grades into consideration. as anyone got any advice on what i should do, maybe try contacting the uni, as i really want to got this year and apart from this stress am really looking forward to it. sorry for the long winded message but any advice you can give me would be much appreicated
Reply 1
A few people have said that if you miss your offer by a grade, you can phone up the university in question and ask them what you can/should do next. If you express real interest in attending there, then they may reconsider.

And there's always clearing.
Contact Trent and explain the situation, they can only help you if they know what is going on. Explain about your depression, and say you feel it might have an affect on your grades. It might be best, and helpful to your case, if you have your school and/or doctor also write and explain, as obviously they give a "proffesional" vouch which you alone can not give. Is your offer made purely on the basis of your BTEC? As you might be able to bargain with them to get it to include your AS levels too (my friend did this last year when she had health problems) to make the offer easier to manage. It may also be a good idea to inform your examining body, as then they can take this into consideration when marking your work.
oxymoronic
Contact Trent and explain the situation, they can only help you if they know what is going on. Explain about your depression, and say you feel it might have an affect on your grades. It might be best, and helpful to your case, if you have your school and/or doctor also write and explain, as obviously they give a "proffesional" vouch which you alone can not give. Is your offer made purely on the basis of your BTEC? As you might be able to bargain with them to get it to include your AS levels too (my friend did this last year when she had health problems) to make the offer easier to manage. It may also be a good idea to inform your examining body, as then they can take this into consideration when marking your work.

:ditto: You have extenuating circumstances, so make sure the exam board and the uni both know about them and they might be more lenient.
Reply 4
thanks for the responses, yeah my offer is based just on my BTEC grades so i'll do what you have said and talk to the uni, i know my tutor would be happy to write a letter explaing things as well so i'll speak to her about it tomorrow while im in college, thanx again everyone

Latest

Trending

Trending