The Student Room Group

Half way through a history practice exam, I need another point to argue.. look inside

b. Do you agree with the view that the Nazis were able to consolidate their hold on power so easily between January and March 1933 simply because of the use of terror and intimidation?(40)

Here's what I have so far:

Using sources 4 and 5 I will argue with the view that Nazi’s were able to consolidate their hold on power so easily between January and March 1933 simply because of the use of terror and intimidation.

Source 4 is a written letter by a prominent member of the SPD in February of 1933, less than a month after Hitler come into power. He is resigning and advising fellow speakers for the SPD to follow suit for the same for the good of the people, as his meetings have been disrupted by strong supporters of the Nazi party/storm troopers, many members of his audience were taken away badly injured. From this source it is quite obvious that this member of the SPD is intimidated and fears more attacks from the Nazi’s.

Source 5 doesn’t seem to be talking about intimidation and terror that the Nazi’s inflicted, it is more about the power that they held at the time, of course article 48 gave them the power to do this and then power of propaganda that induced the terror and intimidation upon the SPD and KPD, pushing the opposition to step down before the Nazi’s destroy their party altogether.

I do know, however, that even though the NSDAP increased their seats from 196 to 288 by the dissolution of the Reichstag it wasn’t long before the support for the NSDAP began to slow and convert to the other side of the political spectrum. And I believe Hitler realised this so that’s why terror and intimidation was too follow in order to fix his support, without it, and after a few years, the NSDAP could possibly never have became the power it did.

During this period, the Nazi Germany effectively became a one party state that was able to activate the support of the people for Hitler and the regime. The Nazis not only repressed but also destroyed all alternatives to the Nazi government, through use of terror by various military organisations creating a police state and thus retaining control in Germany. It would be simplistic to state terror being the only apparatus of power when other instruments were used to generate the support for the regime, perhaps a more important measure to ensure the Nazi grip of authority. Through active and persuasive propaganda combined with the 'Hitler Myth,' the regime was able to indoctrinate people successfully towards the will of the Führer.

That's what I have so far and I'm looking for a factor other than terror and intimidation that played a key role other than propaganda, or something that hindered the NSDAP.

If you want the two sources then request them.

Thanks for your help, lol only have an hour untill I'm off to bed and it needs to be done for tomorow!
Reply 1
edit your post to put quote tags instead of code tags around that please :smile:
Reply 2
Hope that helps ^^
Reply 3
I just thought of the fact that he was now in a coalition with other nationalists and conservatives if anyone wants to help me develop that.

Much appreciated.
Um...Reichstag fire anyone?
Reply 5
I think you might take a look at Nazi preparations for the March election since that is implied in the time range in your question. Since there's no date limit to March you might include discussion of NSDAP's less than expected landslide victory which, had they won 70%, would have enabled a strictly constitutional ending to the Weimar as opposed to the fudge over the Enabling Act. Yes; fear and intimidation were part of the run-up to the elections but that alone failed to swing an overwhelming majority of voters behind the NSDAP.

more later. got to work
Reply 6
Phoenix Wright
Um...Reichstag fire anyone?

That was an event that happened, not a factor, but it did result in lots of T&I because it was an excuse for the Nazis to get back at the Commies

EDIT: Thanks for help, teacher wasn't in, so got another day to make it perfect so still open for discussion ^^
Reply 7
Sat in college trying to add/improve essay, got about 30 mins before lesson.

I need to develop my factor that Hitler was now in a respectable coalition.

Also big thanks to nbak, managed to get a lot from that, will post up when I'm done.

Latest

Trending

Trending