The Student Room Group

French vs biology alevel?

Guys, im in a bit of a struggle :frown: I cant decided between french/biology. I mean i do like both subjects, presumably french a bit more but Idk which to do? can someone inform which is harder or hard in their experiences.
I am currently doing A2 biology and i personally dont find it that hard as i imagine french would be. It depends on what interests you the most as if u was not interested in what you learn in biology you will probably find it harder as your less engaged
Go with what u find most interesting and what may lead you to your chosen career
STEM > non STEM. Always.
Original post by Oblivion99
Guys, im in a bit of a struggle :frown: I cant decided between french/biology. I mean i do like both subjects, presumably french a bit more but Idk which to do? can someone inform which is harder or hard in their experiences.

What other subjects are you studying?
French is easier to fluke - at AS anyway
I currently study French at A2. I found AS quite difficult, however I would definitely recommend it if you are planning on keeping it for A2 (I'm enjoying it a lot more and feel I'm doing very well) otherwise it's a lot of work and you'd be better off doing biology if you're not serious about it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
What other subjects are you studying?

Chem, Ma, History :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AliceDuffield
I currently study French at A2. I found AS quite difficult, however I would definitely recommend it if you are planning on keeping it for A2 (I'm enjoying it a lot more and feel I'm doing very well) otherwise it's a lot of work and you'd be better off doing biology if you're not serious about it :smile:

Thanks for replying! I did the GCSE and I obtained an A* (well because I literally fluked it:tongue:) but I want to do it for A Level as I have a big passion to learn it! What grade did you get for AS, if you dont mind me asking, and how did you revise
Chem, Ma, History :smile:

Nice I do maths bio chem and history!

Well do you really want to do biology? If you really want to I recommend you do 5 for AS since you seem to be talented at French.
Reply 9
Nice I do maths bio chem and history!

Well do you really want to do biology? If you really want to I recommend you do 5 for AS since you seem to be talented at French.

Thank you :smile: I mean I do love Biology and Chemistry, because its really engrossing and fascinating but its so hard to deduce 12 subjects at GCSE to 4 at Level :frown: also its not potent when everyones nagging you at how hard each, perspectively, is :frown:
Thank you :smile: I mean I do love Biology and Chemistry, because its really engrossing and fascinating but its so hard to deduce 12 subjects at GCSE to 4 at Level :frown: also its not potent when everyones nagging you at how hard each, perspectively, is :frown:

no worries dont stress too much as you will probably be able to change any options on results day and first 2 weeks of 6th form maybe
no worries dont stress too much as you will probably be able to change any options on results day and first 2 weeks of 6th form maybe

But honestly do you find bio and chem hard? And whats specifically so hard about chem because I go to a grammar school and they struggle so hard
But honestly do you find bio and chem hard? And whats specifically so hard about chem because I go to a grammar school and they struggle so hard

i don't really find them hard to be honest. You just have to put the work in! I think it gets hard at A2. If you choose them and then start work eg (homework,making sure you understand the content) from the start then you will be fine.
Biology: A looooot of content, lots of very awkward/application exam questions especially at A2

I'd say choose French, it'll probably take up less time
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends on what you like doing most. Biology is a lot of stuff to learn but none of it is massively hard to nail down. Just got to do a lot of questions and you'll be fine. As for french, I can't really say.
Definitely choose biology. I do AQA Human Biology at WJEC French at A2 and Human Biology is way less annoying. I can do a unit's worth of notes then I won't have to do any work for it until like 3 or 4 weeks after. You just have to read over your notes and do past papers it's simple. With French, while I'd say it was easy if you're good at it, it's really annoying and you get lots of pointless work and you can never actually do enough "revision" because it's a language
Original post by rileystringer1
Definitely choose biology. I do AQA Human Biology at WJEC French at A2 and Human Biology is way less annoying. I can do a unit's worth of notes then I won't have to do any work for it until like 3 or 4 weeks after. You just have to read over your notes and do past papers it's simple. With French, while I'd say it was easy if you're good at it, it's really annoying and you get lots of pointless work and you can never actually do enough "revision" because it's a language

Haha thanks, and yeah i get what you mean :P GCSE french was such a doss though honestly, i get the real mvp is a level, thanks for replying! What whats difference between human biology and biology a level
Haha thanks, and yeah i get what you mean :P GCSE french was such a doss though honestly, i get the real mvp is a level, thanks for replying! What whats difference between human biology and biology a level

They don't run Human Biology anymore but the content is much more focused on the human element of Biology rather than the animal and plant elements

Quick Reply

Latest