The Student Room Group

Higher choices.

I'm in S4 and I will soon be choosing my Highers. I currently take National 5's in Maths, English, History, Biology,German,Chemistry and Admin.

I plan on taking Maths, English, Biology, German and History at Higher level.This isn't the ideal combo but the columns are very restricted.

I am also wondering whether I should drop Maths after National 5. I am on target for a B2/C1 and we seem to be pushed into taking it. I struggle a lot with Maths but I realise it's rendered almost compulsary by universities. If I drop Maths then I would have to take Higher Drama, which I enjoy but I know isn't very well regarded to what I want to do (I want to be an officer in the Army).

Is there anyone who has already done their Highers or are in the process of taking them who can advise me upon this.

Ta much, Queen G
honestly if you look at uni requirements unless it is a degree where you will be using maths or something science based all unis requirement (for the most part, some are different) is a c at nat5
Reply 2
Original post by Queen G
I'm in S4 and I will soon be choosing my Highers. I currently take National 5's in Maths, English, History, Biology,German,Chemistry and Admin.

I plan on taking Maths, English, Biology, German and History at Higher level.This isn't the ideal combo but the columns are very restricted.

I am also wondering whether I should drop Maths after National 5. I am on target for a B2/C1 and we seem to be pushed into taking it. I struggle a lot with Maths but I realise it's rendered almost compulsary by universities. If I drop Maths then I would have to take Higher Drama, which I enjoy but I know isn't very well regarded to what I want to do (I want to be an officer in the Army).

Is there anyone who has already done their Highers or are in the process of taking them who can advise me upon this.

Ta much, Queen G

Im not really 100% but i think maths may be slightly better suited for your career path than drama. However, if you check the requirements they may not actually require either, but sometimes may require an A at N5 maths.

You should just have a look at requirements really, im planning to do a social subject, english or law or something at uni and im doing higher maths this year even though im not the best at it because at the end of the day, it is a suitable higher but not a requirement. Just go what you would enjoy best but maybe do talk to someone about it. Bare in mind, you've always got 6th year to get highers so it's not a big deal if you were to do maths this year and maybe drama next year for a bit of fun or vice versa.

Highers are demanding and really a massive step from N5, but if your able to keep up with the work in higher maths of you chose it you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Queen G

Ta much, Queen G

Unless you're hoping to study something like medicine or engineering, there really is no need to do higher maths. If there's a subject you could get a better grade in, you'd be better doing that.

Good luck with your choices :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest