The Student Room Group

is 3 advanced highers and 2 highers too much?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessmcgh
Hi
I'm currently in fifth year and am doing my subject choice.
I was hoping to do:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher Modern Studies
Advanced Higher RMPS
Higher Drama
Higher Geography

Do you think I'll be allowed to? both the highers would be crash highers but I got A1s in all three of my AH choices in my prelims.
I'm applying to do politics and international relations btw.
the reason I want to do this is firstly because I love all these subjects and secondly because I have only six National 5s (AAAABB) and need to make up for them.
Do you know anyone who's done this? Do you think my school would let me?
I'm predicted five As this year and my teachers know I'm committed and a hard worker but I'm also dyslexic so :/ how do you think my guidance teacher will react when I ask her this tomorrow? And how could I persuade her ?
Thank yooou 😘

My school has restrictions on this type of thing. When picking our subjects at the beginning of the year we were only able to take a maximum of 3 advanced highers and that was all that you had on your timetable. But if like me you only had one AH subject then you had to pick three highers.
Hi
I was hoping to do:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher RMPS
Higher Drama
Higher Geography

Do you think I'll be allowed to? both the highers would be crash highers but I got A1s in all three of my AH choices in my prelims.
the reason I want to do this is firstly because I love all these subjects and secondly because I have only six National 5s (AAAABB) and need to make up for them.
I'm predicted five As this year and my teachers know I'm committed and a hard worker but I'm also dyslexic so :/ how do you think my guidance teacher will react when I ask her this tomorrow? And how could I persuade her ?
Thank yooou 😘

You don't need to make up for only having 6 Nat 5s? What are you on about. By all means do 3AH and 2H if you want but trust me it won't give you any advantage in a UCAS application.
Hi
I was hoping to do:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher RMPS
Higher Drama
Higher Geography

Thank yooou 😘

It is doable. It is also probably slightly overkill (in terms of work/life balance and what is required). I think that as long as you do get all As in your Highers, your application will be strong in this regard (Highers are what universities consider above all else)!

I personally don't have experience of having a lower than average number of National 5 equivalents however I wouldn't have thought it would be a huge impediment (unless you are missing English or Maths).

Taking on all these exam subjects will not actually prove anything additional to universities - as you won't have achieved them at the point of applying. Concentrate more on wider reading and developing your interests (you will have demonstrated enough breadth by achieving good Highes).

My recommendation is to leave either Drama or Geography, or both. Personally, I achieved AAA in AH, putting in next to no work (English, French, Spanish); if you work perhaps you could not do them all in theory. In practice, is it worth it?

The bottom line for a university is that an above average number of exam subjects may indicate a lack of creativity and flair in the development of personal interests (not always, but often a strong possibility).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending