The Student Room Group

is 3 advanced highers and 2 highers too much?

Hi
I'm currently in fifth year and am doing my subject choice.
I was hoping to do:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher Modern Studies
Advanced Higher RMPS
Higher Drama
Higher Geography

Do you think I'll be allowed to? both the highers would be crash highers but I got A1s in all three of my AH choices in my prelims.
I'm applying to do politics and international relations btw.
the reason I want to do this is firstly because I love all these subjects and secondly because I have only six National 5s (AAAABB) and need to make up for them.
Do you know anyone who's done this? Do you think my school would let me?
I'm predicted five As this year and my teachers know I'm committed and a hard worker but I'm also dyslexic so :/ how do you think my guidance teacher will react when I ask her this tomorrow? And how could I persuade her ?
Thank yooou 😘

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In 5th year I done English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Music (AAAAA)
In 6th I done: Adv Chemistry, Adv Music, Adv Maths and crash higher human biology.

Do you want to go to uni in England or something? Because you don't really need Advanced highers to get in to Scottish unis (unless you are looking to skip 1st year or are doing something competitive like medicine etc).

Edit: The workload wasn't really a problem, only downside was I had to do Adv Chemistry at the local college cos there wasn't enough people doing it to merit a class at my school.

If you're going to get 5A's in your highers, admissions won't even look at you national 5s also.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Iain_Hey
In 5th year I done English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Music (AAAAA)
In 6th I done: Adv Chemistry, Adv Music, Adv Maths and crash higher human biology.

Do you want to go to uni in England or something? Because you don't really need Advanced highers to get in to Scottish unis (unless you are looking to skip 1st year or are doing something competitive like medicine etc).

Edit: The workload wasn't really a problem, only downside was I had to do Adv Chemistry at the local college cos there wasn't enough people doing it to merit a class at my school.

If you're going to get 5A's in your highers, admissions won't even look at you national 5s also.

that's great, thank you ! and yeah I am applying to English unis :-)
did your teachers take much persuading to let you do 4 subjects ? I'm worried my guidance teacher will just flat out refuse to let me :/
Reply 3
Original post by jessmcgh
that's great, thank you ! and yeah I am applying to English unis :-)did your teachers take much persuading to let you do 4 subjects ? I'm worried my guidance teacher will just flat out refuse to let me :/

The opposite happened to me; I only wanted to do Adv Chem, Music and higher Human Bio, but my guidance teacher basically persuaded me to take Adv Maths and "see how I got on".

Are you applying to oxbridge or something? Seems like 7 highers and 3 adv highers is overkill.

But I don't think teachers would be discouraging you from taking 5 subjects if you think you can handle it, I mean you can always drop a subject later on if it turns out to be too much?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Well, you could always try doing all of them and if it gets a bit much you could always drop a subject. Just ensure to double check requirements for unis, i know English unis are so demanding so big credit to you for being so determined!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really depends on the school, has anyone else in your school done this before(say 3AH+H or 4AHs?)
Convince your guidance teacher with your great grades(if she/he says no)
Reply 6
Original post by jessmcgh
Hi
I'm currently in fifth year and am doing my subject choice.
I was hoping to do:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher Modern Studies
Advanced Higher RMPS
Higher Drama
Higher Geography

Do you think I'll be allowed to? both the highers would be crash highers but I got A1s in all three of my AH choices in my prelims.
I'm applying to do politics and international relations btw.
the reason I want to do this is firstly because I love all these subjects and secondly because I have only six National 5s (AAAABB) and need to make up for them.
Do you know anyone who's done this? Do you think my school would let me?
I'm predicted five As this year and my teachers know I'm committed and a hard worker but I'm also dyslexic so :/ how do you think my guidance teacher will react when I ask her this tomorrow? And how could I persuade her ?
Thank yooou 😘

Even if you are applying to English unis, there really is no need to do 3 advanced Highers and 2 crash Highers. They will usually only make offers based on your 3 advanced Highers, so it may be better to put more of your efforts into getting the best grades possible in those.

Advanced Highers are quite a significant step up from higher, and doing 3 is a challenge in itself, without the unnecessary added pressure of doing two crash Highers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
You need not do 2 highers if you are already doing 3 Adv Highers. Get 5 A's in S5 and the rest comes to your PS.
I do 4AH's and it's perfectly manageable, so you'd almost certainly be fine with 3 AH's and 2 H's. Just put in the work and you'll be totally fine!:smile:
Original post by Big Ron
I do 4AH's and it's perfectly manageable, so you'd almost certainly be fine with 3 AH's and 2 H's. Just put in the work and you'll be totally fine!:smile:

What subjects are you doing?
Reply 10
You could probably do it, but would you enjoy it? Unless you need to take all those for uni requirements you should be focuses on enjoying your learning.
Original post by Mystery.
What subjects are you doing?

Mathematics, Physics, Computing Science, and Chemistry.
Reply 12
Yeah to be honest 3AHs is enough even for English unis, you don't really need the 2 crash highers, unless you think you can pass them with minimal effort.

The irony-(I'm doing 4AHs and Higher English) Regretting it already XD
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by muchensmile
Yeah to be honest 3AHs is enough even for English unis, you don't really need the 2 crash highers, unless you think you can pass them with minimal effort.

The irony-(I'm doing 4AHs and Higher English) Regretting it already XD

Aberdeen medical school wants higher english:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Junioh
Aberdeen medical school wants higher english:biggrin:

Wait what? You sure it isn't Nat 5 English? Well they gave me an interview anyway so lawl :P
Wait what? You sure it isn't Nat 5 English? Well they gave me an interview anyway so lawl :P

Nope I think its because you are taking it this year(I thought this is why ur taking H english this year?! No?) lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Junioh
Nope I think its because you take it this year(I thought this is why ur taking H english this year?! No?) lol

"All applicants must hold a Standard Grade pass at 3, or National 5 pass at B, or GCSE level pass at C (or equivalent) in the following subjects: English Language and Mathematics. "
Dunno-can't find anything about Higher English. I'm only doing Higher English cus its CFE and probably easier to pass...
"All applicants must hold a Standard Grade pass at 3, or National 5 pass at B, or GCSE level pass at C (or equivalent) in the following subjects: English Language and Mathematics. "
Dunno-can't find anything about Higher English. I'm only doing Higher English cus its CFE and probably easier to pass...

Candidates whose first language is not English must also achieve an IELTS overall score of 7.0...
Maybe it just applies to me :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by Junioh
Candidates whose first language is not English must also achieve an IELTS overall score of 7.0...
Maybe it just applies to me :redface:

Ah OK, I'm just doing higher English cus I promised to do it this year so I didn't have to last year lol
Ah OK, I'm just doing higher English cus I promised to do it this year so I didn't have to last year lol

lol Im sure you will be fine! cfe is better I agree
Im actually enjoying English this year coz my teacher is great hahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending