The Student Room Group

Going to University/College in America?!

Okay, the title is a bit misleading but, today, a professor from Harvard came and gave us a talk about about the american uni/college application (my friends sister received an offer from Harvard so she initiated it).

And it REALLY appealed to me since the process seems a LOT less intimidating than that in Britain.

If there are any Americans on here, could you tell me a bit more about it? Or could anyone give pros and cons? :smile:
Reply 1
The Ivy League colleges like Harvard limit the number of Asians in their colleges so don't bother applying if you are Asian.

On the other hand, you hate Asians then apply.
Original post by Maker
The Ivy League colleges like Harvard limit the number of Asians in their colleges so don't bother applying if you are Asian.

On the other hand, you hate Asians then apply.

:burnout:
Reply 3
Seems a bit unfair. I think they should choose based on abilities not race

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Harvard (like any Ivy League) is not going to be easy getting in, however, if you're confident and prepared to live in America, I say go for it! I didn't apply to Harvard, but hopefully this will give you some insight!

I just finished applying to colleges this month and here's how the process went:

1st I took the SAT & ACT (I'm not sure if you'll have to take it since you'd be studying abroad). I began prepping at 13, and took it at officially at 17.
2nd I would submit my recommendation letters, transcript, class rank, volunteer hours, and extra curriculars (HUGE!!). Also my SAT or ACT score.
3rd Fill out the application and write the essays
4th Go for an interview to the school (if invited)
5th Wait for a response!

Overall, the process is easy as long as you have proper scores and rankings. Also, those extra curriculars and volunteer hours are CRUCIAL!! My best friend had 500+ and I had about 300. It's insane.
Good luck!
Original post by ||TheUnknown||

And it REALLY appealed to me since the process seems a LOT less intimidating than that in Britain.

:toofunny: wow that person really had you guys..

The UK application is much, MUCH easier

That being said it is doable, but I would not apply there unless you want to go to the US. Do not apply somewhere a) because of an easier application process or b) because of a name (I know you're not applying to Harvard because it is called Harvard - just a general rule of thumb though)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Okay, the title is a bit misleading but, today, a professor from Harvard came and gave us a talk about about the american uni/college application (my friends sister received an offer from Harvard so she initiated it).

If there are any Americans on here, could you tell me a bit more about it? Or could anyone give pros and cons? :smile:

Pros:
1. You aren't limited to a specific number of unis that you can apply to. You can apply to 10 American universities if you want, heck, even 15 (although tbh please don't).
2. Application questions can be a lot of fun to answer! UCAS has the Personal Statement, which I suppose isn't too bad, but a lot of American universities will provide you with cool and interesting questions to answer. I remember when applying to the University of Chicago, there was an essay question that said, "Tell us your favorite joke and try to explain the joke without ruining it." Makes the process more enjoyable.

Cons:
1. You have to do the SATs/ACTs, unless the uni specifically says that it is not required, in which case yay you! However, most universities require this. They're not necessarily difficult tests, but they do require quite a bit of prep work.
2. You have to write more. I mentioned earlier that sometimes you'll get cool questions, which is fun and all, but it stops being fun when you have to write 3 mini-essays. If the uni you're considering applying to requires you to apply through Common App (most unis will require you to apply using this), then you'll have the Common App essay to complete in your application, as well as any extra essays the unis you apply to require you to write.

Can't think of much else at the moment, but like Student403 said, only apply if you've actually found a school you want to go to. Not because the process is easier. :smile: Also, assuming that you're from the UK, you might want to take into account the tuition fees, because I think American universities are generally more expensive, especially for international students, and so you might want to look into the scholarships available. xx
Cons:
1. Every university requires a different application plus fee unless you are using Common App. The essays are nothing compared to the application fees.
2. The tuition will be much MUCH higher than if you go to uni in the UK, think nearly double. Plus the extra year.
3. Extracurriculars matter for the US application process unlike yours, so hopefully you've been volunteering or working or leading clubs.

Pros:
1. If you decide to go to community college for the first two years of your degree you are a) guaranteed to get in. seriously. they can't refuse anyone. and b) it's only like $1500 for each of those years.
2. You'll learn how to properly survive a mass shooting. Not a joke. They teach that now since it's such a big risk these days.

Another part could be a pro or a con depending on your demographics. Universities tend to have target diversity rates for minorities, women, lgbtq+ etc.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending