The Student Room Group

I need help choosing a levels

Right, I need serious help. I ain't got a clue what I want to do for A-Level nor do I know what I want to do for a career. I am really passionate about media but I know it is an impossible industry to get into. I really love film making and I make videos whenever I can. But I have come to the sad conclusion that I should settle for something more realistic. I can get a job in media without taking any courses, but it is still a dream thats hard to chase. Should i do that? I have also thought of a job in marketing? I believe that you can get a job in marketting in almost any industry. Maybe media, or maybe something completely different! BASICALLY I DONT HAVE A CLUE! The subjects that I am good at in GCSE are: History, Media, and that is about it haha!! I am not bad at any subject, I just don't really stand out in any others. My parents think it will be good for me to do an A-level in Maths no matter what as it will look good. BUT I HATE IT SO MUCH AND CHEMISTRY! Sorry for the lecture but I was wondering if anyone could help! haha PLEASE
Oh yeah and the A-Levels that I think will be good are: History, Media, Business, Psycology, (and parents want me to do maths). I just have no idea how these link or ANYTHING! AHHHH HELP ME PLEASE haha
Original post by ineedlotsofhelp
Oh yeah and the A-Levels that I think will be good are: History, Media, Business, Psycology, (and parents want me to do maths). I just have no idea how these link or ANYTHING! AHHHH HELP ME PLEASE haha

Do what you want lol :biggrin:. At the end of the day it's your career path not your parents.
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
Do what you want lol :biggrin:. At the end of the day it's your career path not your parents.

But if I can't get the career I want than the a levels I have taken wont help me get a another job!
But if I can't get the career I want than the a levels I have taken wont help me get a another job!

huh? XD
Right, I need serious help. I ain't got a clue what I want to do for A-Level nor do I know what I want to do for a career. I am really passionate about media but I know it is an impossible industry to get into. I really love film making and I make videos whenever I can. But I have come to the sad conclusion that I should settle for something more realistic. I can get a job in media without taking any courses, but it is still a dream thats hard to chase. Should i do that? I have also thought of a job in marketing? I believe that you can get a job in marketting in almost any industry. Maybe media, or maybe something completely different! BASICALLY I DONT HAVE A CLUE! The subjects that I am good at in GCSE are: History, Media, and that is about it haha!! I am not bad at any subject, I just don't really stand out in any others. My parents think it will be good for me to do an A-level in Maths no matter what as it will look good. BUT I HATE IT SO MUCH AND CHEMISTRY! Sorry for the lecture but I was wondering if anyone could help! haha PLEASE

The best A levels for you are the subjects you enjoy! Universities these days aren't too picky of what a levels you are doing and care more about the UCAS points. If you do something you enjoy you're more likely to get a better grade. So do what you love!
Shiv
I suggest getting help from someone who is doing/ has done A-Levels cuzz I'm in year 11, and have no idea :biggrin:
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
huh? XD

For example: If i took an alevel in media and i cant get a job in media, how will that hep me get a job after i have given up on media?
For example: If i took an alevel in media and i cant get a job in media, how will that hep me get a job after i have given up on media?

You have to be optimistic I guess :smile:
Original post by Shiv is Light
The best A levels for you are the subjects you enjoy! Universities these days aren't too picky of what a levels you are doing and care more about the UCAS points. If you do something you enjoy you're more likely to get a better grade. So do what you love!
Shiv

Thank you! That is much more helpful than the other persons suggestion ahha
Choose the A Levels you enjoy the most and think you will do best in. If you enjoy and are already doing well in media and history, take them. However, please don't take maths or chemistry just because your parents think they will benefit you. After all, you're the one who will be doing the work and taking the exams, not your parents :smile:
If you hate the subject, don't do it! I've seen far too many people pick maths when they hate it and end up failing. It's just a waste of time and a level choice if you do bad.
Well, any idea what career you want? From there, what sort of degree do you need? And from that, what AS Levels will you choose. For example, if you want a career in industry, engineering will help. From there, you can work out that you need Maths/Physics. This is just an example. Also, your A-Levels don't necessarily dictate the whole course of your life
Good luck buddy :smile:
Reply 13
Is there any particular field you're interested in? If not, just choose the subjects you enjoy (: Alot of degrees don't have any specific subject requirements so there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Reply 14
Okay, all I am saying is don't do Maths or Chemistry unless you really really enjoy them and believe they will be beneficial for your future. I do maths at A-Level and believe me I find it tremendously difficult and I got an A at GCSE, also most of my friends have done Chemistry and well let's just say it's not looking great for them at the moment.

Do what you enjoy! It sounds like you like Media so do it! Even if you think the industry is impossible to get into, it doesn't mean you have to take that career path just because you have done an A-Level in it. At the end of the day it's more about the grades if you want to get into a Uni and mainly less about the actual subject in most cases, that being said if you love Media with a passion why not push yourself and go for a spot in the industry, I really believe that nothing is impossible if you really want it.

I am doing, Economics, Maths, Geography and History at A-Level, Maths I enjoy but is very difficult, History is great because I have awesome teachers, Geography is something I am interested in and Economics I hadn't done prior to A-Levels and find myself struggling in it immensely so will be dropping it, it was not what I thought it would be.

Good luck on choosing and go with your gut instinct, don't think about it too much and pick what you enjoy because that will guarantee you the best grades over something that you hate!
Reply 15

Here's my summary of A-levels I've tried:

Maths once you understand it, you'll like it, and it will be easy.
Media a free A-level if you get into a group with someone who can edit.
Geography China is bad, USA is good, Africa is poor, USA is bad. Learn a million facts; use 3 of them in the exam.
Physics often oversimplified but interesting. Much easier if you've done a mechanics unit for maths. At least half of the marks in exams are for generic answers that you can learn from past mark schemes.
Music Technology do whatever you want for a year; your grade will be random.
Further Maths beautiful, but I am quite biased.
English Literature I didn't last long.
Maths. Maths. Maths. Maths. Further Maths,

Quick Reply