The Student Room Group

"Only biology A Level required"- really??

Im stuck

So I took up chemistry AS (Im in year12) quite late on as I thought I needed chemistry to go far in biology. I swapped from psych, and now I'm doing badly and it's serious.

Due to the new reformed A Levels, my teachers are suggesting I sit the AS chem exam next year and continue A Levels in my other subjects- this is fine as I only wanted an AS in chemistry only.

However, when UCAS says biology is only required (genetics!)- do they really mean this? I've got lab experience behind me, external reading and an expedition to Ecuador this summer- but if I drop chemistry now is it a let down? Got my heart set on east anglia.

Teachers say that for my year it's the norm to have 3 AS', as for the years below they're throwing AS' out the window so this would have no affect.

Chemistry, despite what UCAS says, yay or nay????
Reply 1
Original post by ImagineCats
Im stuck

So I took up chemistry AS (Im in year12) quite late on as I thought I needed chemistry to go far in biology. I swapped from psych, and now I'm doing badly and it's serious.

Due to the new reformed A Levels, my teachers are suggesting I sit the AS chem exam next year and continue A Levels in my other subjects- this is fine as I only wanted an AS in chemistry only.

However, when UCAS says biology is only required (genetics!)- do they really mean this? I've got lab experience behind me, external reading and an expedition to Ecuador this summer- but if I drop chemistry now is it a let down? Got my heart set on east anglia.

Teachers say that for my year it's the norm to have 3 AS', as for the years below they're throwing AS' out the window so this would have no affect.

Chemistry, despite what UCAS says, yay or nay????

I'm a third year, and yes they do mean this- they do provide a first year module to allow catch up in chemistry to provide knowledge needed for the rest of the degree :smile:
Original post by lilGem
I'm a third year, and yes they do mean this- they do provide a first year module to allow catch up in chemistry to provide knowledge needed for the rest of the degree :smile:

Amazing thank you! What degree?
Reply 3
Original post by ImagineCats
Amazing thank you! What degree?

im studying biological sciences (3rd year) UEA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending