The Student Room Group

If heat rises, why don't fires just float away?

Christianity 1-0 Atheists

Scroll to see replies

Well, I'm persuaded.

Praises be to Moses, Noah and amazing technicolour dreamcoats.
:badger:
Reply 3
:albertein:
Truer words have never been spoken
Reply 5
Fires do float away. This thread has opened my mind.
Good...question...
Reply 7
The mechanism responsible for the rising of hot air is flotation: Hot air is less dense than cold air and hence air pressure will exert an upwards force, in the same way air rises in water. Now if cold air was magically unaffected by gravity, then it would not be able to exert pressure on the hot air and thus it would not rise.The statement that "heat rises", by the way, is not universally true. Look at water. Here, it is the cold water that is less dense than warm water (at least in the temperature regime of importance to freezing). In winter, when water gets colder, the cold water raises to the top and eventually will freeze, while the water below remains liquid for the moment.
Original post by GUMI
The mechanism responsible for the rising of hot air is flotation: Hot air is less dense than cold air and hence air pressure will exert an upwards force, in the same way air rises in water. Now if cold air was magically unaffected by gravity, then it would not be able to exert pressure on the hot air and thus it would not rise.The statement that "heat rises", by the way, is not universally true. Look at water. Here, it is the cold water that is less dense than warm water (at least in the temperature regime of importance to freezing). In winter, when water gets colder, the cold water raises to the top and eventually will freeze, while the water below remains liquid for the moment.

answer the question

if heat rises

why dont fires float away????
Reply 9
:sparta:
Original post by CantGainWeight
answer the question

if heat rises

Fires do float away. A fire is a continual chemical reaction occurring down at the base of the fire where the fuel is combining with air. The bit that most people would call a fire - the glowing, orange, wavy bit - is the hot gases produced by that chemical reaction floating away because they are hotter than the surrounding air.
Reply 11
They do they are stars.
All it takes is a Google search.
answer the question

if heat rises

They do actually, the fire is quite literally just ions giving off energy as light. These ions have enough energy to overcome their weight (which is basically nothing) and they do "float" away.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
answer the question

if heat rises

idk man, i just copy pasta that from google lel
actually, i do know but i dont wanna type it out cuz im doing homework
Well then, someone didnt pass GCSE physics :smug:
Jaden pls
Reply 17