The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just a question, are you allowed to write vectors in Column notation in M1?

I prefer using it over, simple i and j algebraic notation.

Haven't reviewed mark schemes / past papers yet so just asking.
Reply 61
Original post by SaadKaleem

I think you are for your working out, but a lot of questions ask for i and j notation so it's best to ensure your answers are always in i and j.
Original post by SaadKaleem

Original post by jamestg
I think you are for your working out, but a lot of questions ask for i and j notation so it's best to ensure your answers are always in i and j.

Column vectors are fine, including for answers. The general instructions at the beginning of the mark schemes say
"Accept column vectors in all cases."
Original post by jamestg

Original post by tiny hobbit
Column vectors are fine, including for answers. The general instructions at the beginning of the mark schemes say
"Accept column vectors in all cases."

Sounds good, thank you. :smile:
tips on m1 vectors?

i can score 60-65% of the marks on m1 vectors generally
but i score 85-100% on c4 vectors. :frown:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
tips on m1 vectors?

i can score 60-65% of the marks on m1 vectors generally
but i score 85-100% on c4 vectors. :frown:

I've responded :tongue:
Reply 66
can someone help me in this trapezium question, i need help finding the height the formula is
H=b-a/n
but when i used this formula i am unable to find the answer, the answer is supposed to be H=3
Reply 67
Original post by djmans
can someone help me in this trapezium question, i need help finding the height the formula is
H=b-a/n
but when i used this formula i am unable to find the answer, the answer is supposed to be H=3

Look at the diagram, count the intervals using your fingers. There are 1, 2, 3 intervals. Hence, h=1123=93=3h = \frac{11-2}{3} = \frac{9}{3} = 3
Original post by djmans
H=b-a/n

this isnt m1, this is c4.
nevertheless, i hope your doubt is cleared
Reply 69
Original post by Zacken
Look at the diagram, count the intervals using your fingers. There are 1, 2, 3 intervals. Hence, h=1123=93=3h = \frac{11-2}{3} = \frac{9}{3} = 3

how is it 3, on the graph it shows 4 lines and on the table.
Reply 70
Original post by therecovery
this isnt m1, this is c4.
nevertheless, i hope your doubt is cleared

lol my bad i clicked on the wrong thread:colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 71
Original post by djmans
how is it 3, on the graph it shows 4 lines and on the table.

n is the number of rectangles. 4 lines make 3 rectangles.
Reply 72
Original post by Zacken
n is the number of rectangles. 4 lines make 3 rectangles.

thank you so much for the help :smile::smile:
Reply 73
Original post by djmans
thank you so much for the help :smile::smile:

No worries. :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Zacken
No worries. :smile:

if you dont mind could you help me with this too
Reply 75
Original post by djmans
if you dont mind could you help me with this too

(i) is just an application of (ab)n=anbn(ab)^{n} = a^n b^n, so:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}y^{1/3} = \left(\frac{1}{27}x^3\right)^{1/3} = \left(\frac{1}{27}\right)^{1/3} \times (x^3)^{1/3} = \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{27}} \times x = \cdots\end{equation*}

Where we used the fact that (ab)n=anbn\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^n= \frac{a^n}{b^n} and 1n=11^n = 1.

(ii) is just an application of the fact that y1=1yy^{-1} = \frac{1}{y} and 1ab=ba\frac{1}{\frac{a}{b}} = \frac{b}{a}.

So y=x327y1=1y=27x3\displaystyle y = \frac{x^3}{27} \Rightarrow y^{-1} = \frac{1}{y} = \frac{27}{x^3}. Then 3y1=3y^{-1} = \cdots?

(iii) is just 27y=27×x327=x327y = 27 \times \frac{x^3}{27} = x^3 so 27y=x3=(x3)1/2=\sqrt{27y} = \sqrt{x^3} = (x^3)^{1/2} = \cdots

Remember that (an)m=anm(a^n)^m = a^{nm}
When finding out what the frictional force is I see the b1 marks for F=Mu(R) does your notation matter would I still get the B1 mark for Fr=Mu(N).
Reply 77
Original post by Middriver
When finding out what the frictional force is I see the b1 marks for F=Mu(R) does your notation matter would I still get the B1 mark for Fr=Mu(N).

I would say it's best to avoid using N as that's an SI unit
Reply 78
Original post by Middriver

'course you would get the mark. You can use whatever notation you want as long as it's clear what you're doing.
Original post by Zacken
'course you would get the mark. You can use whatever notation you want as long as it's clear what you're doing.

Thanks! guess I'm just stressing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending